TKD Black Belt Roll Call

Jesus Freak

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Any TKD Black Belts out there?

I got mine in '93 when I was about 13.

I trained at Azteca Tae Kwon Do in Los Angeles under Master German Lopez.

I sucked at tournaments because I never had that competitive drive, but I had a ton of fun training, and to this day I train on-and-off in different stuff...more off than on, but TKD definitely provided me a good foundation.

For all subsequent disciplines I trained in...

TKD really helps your flexibility. To this day I can kick above the average-sized person's head.

Muay Thai is a given, as they're similar in several aspects.

Timing, distance, overall discipline...you name it.

Not a TKD black belt, but I am the proud owner of gaudy belt buckle, which I consider slightly more prestigious than the former.

Was thinking this would be about fighters with TKD black belts. Sounded pretty interesting.

But alas, the fail is prominent with this one...

I got one in LA as a kid around the same time - it obv teaches discipline etc but we prob didn't spar enough to learn anything that helpful - more about forms and sicipline though it obv helps w your punh and kick technique - def helped me pick up boxing quicker - I'm sure other people had more hard core experiences mine was more of the 'pay money and spend time means get belt'

I got mine in 92 when I was 11. I still incorporate some of a couple techniques like my spinning back kick and sidekicks I n Muay Thai/kickboxing but other than that it hasn't been that useful.

I got one in LA as a kid around the same time - it obv teaches discipline etc but we prob didn't spar enough to learn anything that helpful - more about forms and sicipline though it obv helps w your punh and kick technique - def helped me pick up boxing quicker - I'm sure other people had more hard core experiences mine was more of the 'pay money and spend time means get belt'

I reckon different schools employ different training methods.

Our instructor was Mexican, so he loved to see sparring!

Was thinking this would be about fighters with TKD black belts. Sounded pretty interesting.

But alas, the fail is prominent with this one...

Sorry I let you down, Brother. From what I gather, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of other threads you can explore here on the forum, though.

i've had my black belt for more than a decade
then i stepped in a bjj gym and realized i had wasted ten years and thousands of dollars

Not exactly sure what that means, but the thread specifically states "TKD Black Belt Roll Call", not "Miserable Human Being Roll Call".

TKD is famous for promoting kids quickly so that the checks keep coming in.

TKD is famous for promoting kids quickly so that the checks keep coming in.

That could be true, but that can also be said of any martial arts academy. BJJ maybe being the exception, as I understand it is a very "jealous" sport.

Try giving some people credit, though. Some kids/teens actually learn alot, and become great practitioners.

Some well known MMA fighters incorporate well-known TKD techniques into their arsenal to this day.

Hilarious how 9.99/10 threads turn into a dirt-slinging contest on this forum!

i got my blackbelt in TKD when i was 16.

TKD gave me an extreme flexibility which in turns help my Jiujitsu game.

That could be true, but that can also be said of any martial arts academy. BJJ maybe being the exception, as I understand it is a very "jealous" sport.

Try giving some people credit, though. Some kids/teens actually learn alot, and become great practitioners.

Some well known MMA fighters incorporate well-known TKD techniques into their arsenal to this day.

Hilarious how 9.99/10 threads turn into a dirt-slinging contest on this forum!

yea i didnt even bother defending my experience - i actually really liked it and i think it was helpful to my overall life, but i know all the negatives people will bring up, so why even try haha - sherdog will sherdog

Was already an adult when the TKD era hit.
I did Kung Fu then boxing then Karate as a youth.
I found them all useful as far as self discipline and overall balance are concerned.

Back