Tippy toes a no no...a better way to kick

My trainers were trained by Alex Gong, Jongsanan and Bunkerd Fairtex. Always pivot on the ball of your foot or when stepping out raise your heel during the delivery of the kick. Never flat footed. Flat footed was always a no no.

This is how Thais teach it and they deal with more kick sweeps than any other art.

I can't say anymore on this subject.

Jan 19 and you were supposed to be done with the subject and now your trying to get people banned and getting threads moved.

bro...calm down, let people express their opinion,
people who dont agree with you are not trolls, there's plenty of em on here...you can recognize them because they use cartoon avatars and only respond to mock threads.

Here's another series where you will always see a flat base foot on your counters

Here's a freestyle wrestlers being forced to hop but notice...he NEVER goes up to his toes...he keeps a flat base foot and a bent knee

The take home message here it that while muay thai is probably the greatest striking art ever devised it should be noted that they don't worry all that much about getting dumped and staying on your feet its more important in MMA.

My whole point about flat footings and COG is anti sweep dump or throw. When you rise up on your heel you are bouncing upward.
This upward bounce does slightly increase kicking power but at what cost.

A talented grappler wants you up on your toes hopping not sunk down low
Because your COG is higher and your contact with the floor is minimal
(High heels vs snowshoes)

These guys should have sagged back to the leg scissor rather than hoping on one foot!

There's nothing wrong with traditional muay thai...its just not PERFECT for MMA...it takes a step closer to perfect for MMA when you kick off a flat base foot

People in MMA get taken down throwing flat footed kicks every event. A guy could successfully sprawl and still be chained into a takedown. You're not a troll you're just not that bright. The guy on the last page is clearly a troll however.

"muay thai is probably the greatest striking art ever devised it should be noted that they don't worry all that much about getting dumped and staying on your feet"

LOL, BOGUS! You obviously don't follow Muay Thai. The use of sweeps and dumps in response to a kick is lightyears ahead of MMA in Muay Thai. No issues with them being up on their ball. In fact guys throw roundhouses completely airborne periodically.

Last edited:
Going back and reviewing some Dany Bill fights. I'm seeing him raise his heel up plenty of times. Another false narrative.

check out 0:43 into this highlight. He even has his post leg (which is high up on the ball) kicked at the same time and miraculously doesn't fall down:

Going back and reviewing some Dany Bill fights. I'm seeing him raise his heel up plenty of times. Another false narrative.

check out 0:43 into this highlight. He even has his post leg (which is high up on the ball) kicked at the same time and miraculously doesn't fall down:

Of course everybody raises up on the ball of the foot when they kick occasionally...this is not a black-and-white true or false argument this is about the overwhelming majority of Danny bills kicks which were thrown off a flat foot.

Only in Thailand do they teach to rise up on the ball of your foot for every kick.

Even though they rarely practice it like that in their low kicks...

once again even Thai boxers occasionally kick off a flat foot WHILE American and European kickboxers sometimes kick off the ball.

It's about the mathematical average.

Last edited:
People in MMA get taken down throwing flat footed kicks every event. A guy could successfully sprawl and still be chained into a takedown. You're not a troll you're just not that bright. The guy on the last page is clearly a troll however.

"muay thai is probably the greatest striking art ever devised it should be noted that they don't worry all that much about getting dumped and staying on your feet"

LOL, BOGUS! You obviously don't follow Muay Thai. The use of sweeps and dumps in response to a kick is lightyears ahead of MMA in Muay Thai. No issues with them being up on their ball. In fact guys throw roundhouses completely airborne periodically.

I'm going to agree with you one hundred percent on the Airborne point in fact rising up on the ball of your foot is arguably a jump kick.

Jump kicks have their place but they shouldn't be the way you throw ALL your round kicks.

Muay thai fighters have a terrible record against Grapplers because of this fact.
While they are jumping up in the air throwing their round kick they are super easy to take down

You watched the Dannybill Coban fight

Danny Bill knocked Coban off his feet about 30 times and still lost the fight, I don't know who was scoring those but it doesn't seem like they are worth much

I agree the other guy may have been a troll but you shouldn't care about that...

You're clearly a dedicated fighter that has a ring history and an impressive pedigree... who cares what some dorky kid thinks who doesn't even have his real photo on his profile... just counter him with a verbal spinning elbow between his eyes, it's more fun than getting him in trouble with a moderator.

Of course people can get taken down when they're on a flat foot it's not a guarantee it just reduces the likelihood.

Just think about the momentum and your COG, if it's bouncing up and down you are much easier to take down then if you SAG low and hang off your opponent

Muay thai fighters have a terrible record against Grapplers because of this fact.
While they are jumping up in the air throwing their round kick they are super easy to take down

You do know that there's only 4 legitimate Muay Thai fighters in the UFC, and none of them have have had any trouble against grapplers.
In fact, one of them is known for Jose Aldo levels of anti-wrestling & grappling.

You do know that there's only 4 legitimate Muay Thai fighters in the UFC, and none of them have have had any trouble against grapplers.
In fact, one of them is known for Jose Aldo levels of anti-wrestling & grappling.

What exactly makes somebody a "legitimate" nak Muay...?

You traditionalists crack me up.

Just cuz you paid a lot of money for your training doesn't mean other people who got theirs for free aren't "legitimate" LOL

The fact that you didn't name these 4 "legitimate" athletes pretty much proves my point.

@-guerilla- these guys are beyond saving, let them do whatever they want, throw those ballerina kicks all day.

I did throw some kicks like this when I was a kid because I was fooled by the kickboxing rules and it is easier this way until I was slipping too often when fighting for real this shit is just bad practice.

lol @-guerilla- for taking @aerius seriously, this guy is a known troll in here.

Some guys shoot butt slapping videos and play coaches, 100% stand up section of sherdog.
Everyone is free to have his own opinion but scammers like this should really be banned.

I can get more legit striking advice in OT rather than here.

Last edited:
What exactly makes somebody a "legitimate" nak Muay...?

Won medals and world championships in Muay Thai competitions. Or ranked at one of the main stadiums in Thailand.

The fact that you didn't name these 4 "legitimate" athletes pretty much proves my point.

2 of them are in my avatar, you go figure out who the others are.
Of course, you can't do this since you don't know a damn thing about kicking or combat sports.

tell me why from a physics perspective.

Ie what exactly is the mechanical difference between a low mid and high kick except for the hip flexors.

a straight support leg allows for easier rotation on the support leg. A bent support leg while kicking (mid to high) is a very common mistake made by just about everyone new to the sport or learning how to kick. Its about as common as people dropping their hands IMO.

45175837_1933981763563326_78595599414329344_n.jpg

Bent support leg for leg kicks allows you to chop in and bring the weight down.
22687900_1739902769637894_3408667131067718673_n.jpg

You can see it here.

as I said previously I use both ways and made a video about the subject that I already posted so thats my take on it. I also like and use Bas way of kicking as well.

to stir the pot a bit if it hasnt already been posted.

I approve of Bas Rutten's kicking, it's good technique. He also uses the arms effectively.

how many of you have slipped while kicking and blamed it on bad mats or sweat e.t.c. ?

how many of you have slipped while kicking and blamed it on bad mats or sweat e.t.c. ?

the canvas in fight rings, is typically not the same type of covering they use at gyms. The canvas does not provide as much grip as most people would think, specifically barefoot (no boxing shoes). Its not super slippery but it does not provide as much traction as most people would think. I have fallen on my ass a few times, partly because its a bit slippery, and partly because in the heat of the moment i probably tried to kick higher than im capable of. I have fallen 2 seperate times in different fights trying to switch head kick, you eventually get a feel for the canvas and learn how to keep your footing. I also have some secret tricks I use to get better grip on the canvas.

14495492_10211206603987319_6723237093257928518_n.jpg

the canvas in fight rings, is typically not the same type of covering they use at gyms. The canvas does not provide as much grip as most people would think, specifically barefoot (no boxing shoes). Its not super slippery but it does not provide as much traction as most people would think. I have fallen on my ass a few times, partly because its a bit slippery, and partly because in the heat of the moment i probably tried to kick higher than im capable of. I have fallen 2 seperate times in different fights trying to switch head kick, you eventually get a feel for the canvas and learn how to keep your footing. I also have some secret tricks I use to get better grip on the canvas.

THROW 2 punches and step into your kick with a flat foot and bent base leg and you won't need a "trick" to stay on your feet

lol @ the trolls here

Wow, nice video...the muay thai round kick is truly awesome.

You ever watch any k1?

Calling people names is kinda juvenile, it's not a good way to debate.

Round kicks start at 218

Last edited:
THROW 2 punches and step into your kick with a flat foot and bent base leg and you won't need a "trick" to stay on your feet

i agree for leg kicks. for body or head kicks, the foot can be flat, but the post leg cannot be bent.

flat foot, bent support leg, leg kick

15027859_10211696036262820_1237024624216624749_n.jpg

leg kick not flat footed

15107316_10211696036942837_8297047808643340208_n.jpg

body kick, on ball of foot, "straight" support leg

14523154_10211206601107247_1989452931538216221_n.jpg

straight support leg, head kick, on ball of foot. flexibility will also play a part in flat vs ball of foot depending on kick height.

flat foot, staight support leg, body kick

14446110_10211206609467456_7001412769257061329_n.jpg

another flat leg kick

14469666_10211206617187649_2611303596999896618_n.jpg

23316831_10215525962208575_2035310569681879783_n.jpg

24852340_10215781135787755_8158673355230381719_n.jpg

Back