Tip On Take Out Order?

We need a federal tipping handbook in the USA. I'm totally confused.

All my wealthy friends tip like shit

“You don’t tip on wine” at a steakhouse $400 bill $100 of it wine. He tipped $20 bucks on his half. Excellent service btw

$26 bucks busy Pittsburgh restaurant after Steelers game.... other buddy tips $3

If you can’t afford to tip don’t eat out. If you can’t comprehend that servers WORK FOR TIPS go get a ged.

O and takeout always gets a tip. Maybe not the full 15% but something. They tape containers shut staple bags and make sure your food remains warm and in good condition by the time it gets home. They deserve something.

Now here are some reasonable tip debate areas.... baggage handlers , complimentary valet , Uber , airport people, hotel maids.

She needs to pick her battles more wisely.

I usually tip on take-out orders but I dont view tipping as something someones needs to do. If you want then go ahead. If you dont then dont.

As for this specific person .... it wasnt very smart to complain about a non tip takeout order and adding to the stupidity she decides to complain abut a church which is almost gntd to come with back lash.

In this rare case I would leave a tip for takeout.

Problem is every single fkn restaurant is doing it now. The place I get my pizza....I order and pick up myself. I pay with a debit card and the girl hands me a receipt with a tipping option as she stares at me. She literally took the pizza off a rack 5 feet behind her.
The fkn bagel shop I get egg sandwiches at does the same thing.
These are people making above minimum wage. There is no wait staff at either place. It's just basically a general fund to supplement their income if you are dumb enough to do it.

Tips should never be mandatory, it should be something that's earned. That fact that you re expected to give people extra money "just because" is really dumb.

*Probably just the jew in me saying this*

If the person putting together the order makes under minimum wage you should tip.

So if you're picking up from Dominos no tip.

If you're picking up from an actual restaurant tip.

Otherwise everyone else is subsidizing your meals.

The hostess at a restaurant that handles your to go order is making at least minimum wage

I always leave them with some words of wisdom.

Lot of poverty going on.

Let's see:
1. A church behind the order- literal bums who beg for tax free handouts from their congregation to survive

2. Waitress who is so poor she can't go even one customer without a tip

3. Outback Steakhouse- a "steakhouse" designed for people who dont have the funds to eat at a real steakhouse

i'm an advocate for tipping, but not for take-out.

People that want tiping gone wouldnt be able to afford to go out to eat. Prices would go up big time, and many of your favorite restaurants would go under. Its really not that bad.. If i like the service i tip well, ive been in their shoes. Waiting tables fuckin blows.

I disagree. It would be better than what we have now where you give scumbags the option not to pay the fair rate for their food by stiffing the wait staff. If you can't afford the 20% tip than don't eat out.

It's a ridiculous system where the management pits it's entry/low level worker against the customer to work out proper compensation.

If businesses close - then they were never good businesses anyways and were only getting by by exploiting their workers.

Ok..I don't generally tip much for takeout....but over $700?

If you order $700 from a restaurant, yeah, you fucking tip.

That's a lot of food , a lot of money, give a tip.

Not rocket science. Just common sense.
<31>
That's a lot of business.
Why is the customer responsible for paying the wages of the servers who didn't serve them? The waiters wage is between him and his employer
Tipping is fucking retarded .

Do what i do and never tip. If you tip youre a sheep that just follows the masses with no original thought in your head

So many places do it now if you pay with a card. Then they look at you funny when you leave the tip line blank. Why the fuck would I tip?? You didn't serve me shit or do anything.

I hate that I almost always feel bad so I put $1.00 most of the time for to go orders.

$700 is alot of food. Multiple trips to the car, bagging up that much food is a pain in the ass.

She likely had tables that needed her attention, but had to spend time dealong with this huge call in order

Shes directing her anger at the wrong people though. Managment should have been dealing with that shit not a server. Shes dumb for bitching on facebook, im sure she finds a better restaurant to work for

I wouldnt have tipped on the same scale as if i sat down at ate, but i would have at the very fucking least tipped $10 to $20. These servers dont make money hourly. (i know $2.15 an hour, but after you tip out the bar and your expos and runners you make negative money if nobody tips correctly)

People that want tiping gone wouldnt be able to afford to go out to eat. Prices would go up big time, and many of your favorite restaurants would go under. Its really not that bad.. If i like the service i tip well, ive been in their shoes. Waiting tables fuckin blows.
No tipping works in Korea and Japan and China. And service on average is on par with or better than USA. Make portion seizes smaller, pay servers more perhaps?

Off ALLLL the shit on Sherdog, this might actually be the single most disgusting thread.

Picking up a sandwich from Togo's and not tipping is one thing. A fucking church, that will write off the meal AND accept tax-free donations at the event, orders $750 worth of food and doesn't tip the staff who put their order together and brought it to them. And people are defending that. Jesus Fucking Christ

WWJD? Surely not leave a fuckin tip

As mentioned throughout the years of tipping threads, America should stop this tipping crap to avoid stupid incidents like this.

Add a mandatory 10%+- service charges on receipts like most Asia countries. And some of you call us third world countries with our metrics and all.
FWIW, where I live (South Florida) there are so many Europeans that a lot of places, especially in coastal touristy locations, just add 15% to the bill.

Anyway, I can't recall ever tipping on a takeout order, but if it were an order to the size and scale of that one, plus they're carrying it all out to the car for me, I might throw them a few bucks. It seems like the church was even saying that, but the person they sent out to pick it up at the last minute (it was originally supposed to be delivered) didn't know they were supposed to tip.

She should have realized there wasn't going to be a tip when no other servers were fighting her to take the food to them instead.

I tip the drivers in the uk if the takeaway dont charge a delivery fee. If they do why should I then give the delivery guy a tip when im already paying for delivery.
In the US at least, most places will specify that the delivery fee doesn't go to the drivers. Considering that, I tip the drivers, although not as much as servers, closer to 10% than 20%. Whether the establishment has a delivery fee or not doesn't really effect what I tip. If I knew that drivers were already getting a delivery fee, I would tip less or perhaps not at all. I don't typically tip Uber Eats drivers for instance.

You only get a tip on delivery or table service. Who in the past tipped her for handing them her food to establish this expectation?

She should have realized there wasn't going to be a tip when no other servers were fighting her to take the food to them instead.

At most restaurants one person is usually assigned this position. Bartender did it a lot of times too.

Back