Tip On Take Out Order?

If your takeout order is like $30 or something, you don’t have to tip. But if it’s $735, you should probably fucking tip them. Still, they should have fired her for bitching on Facebook. If for no other reason than she has to be fucking stupid to do that after so many people have already been fired for posting shit on Facebook.

If the person putting together the order makes under minimum wage you should tip.

So if you're picking up from Dominos no tip.

If you're picking up from an actual restaurant tip.

Otherwise everyone else is subsidizing your meals.

Nobody makes under minimum wage. Please dont start another bullshit "Servers make less than minimum wage" point. It isnt true.

Also, this is arbitrary as fuck. Tipping on takeout. But only if they make a certain amount. Otherwise no. Jesus.

^
^
^
Things poor people say

Being so poor that even though you work you still require people to give you pity hand outs and table scraps because your profession is so useless that it isnt even worth the minimum wage.

I don't know this feeling.

coin-flip-mcduck.gif

I'm gonna sound like an asshole, and that's fine, but I really don't care if the person putting it together makes minimum wage (guessing the cook makes normal pay?) That's what they signed up for. It's a gamble whether some people tip or not, and most waiters should know that.

I personally don't order and pick up from an actual restaurant. Because i don't like cold food when i get home.

But if i ever would (big if) order from an actual restaurant, I'm not leaving a tip. Because i'm driving there to pick it up, and not to get waited on.

And about the subsidizing part, then restaurants should jack up the price to make up the difference.
Do you mean putting it together as in packing your food? Because that's just crazy how someone can expect a tip from doing that... isn't that a part of their job that they're supposed to do without expecting a tip? Because that's typical restaurant staff duty

Serving customers as a waiting staff they should def expect a tip.

But expecting a tip for packing food that was ordered on the phone waiting for the customer to pick up is just lunacy.

Do you mean putting it together as in packing your food?
I was responding the poster that initially quoted me. So yeah, i'm guessing that's what he meant.

And you're right, packing up the food should be normal staff duties.

Being so poor that even though you work you still require people to give you pity hand outs and table scraps because your profession is so useless that it isnt even worth the minimum wage.

I don't know this feeling.

coin-flip-mcduck.gif

How is it useless If you are in fact using that service?

Interesting

I hate tipping I only do it because I'd feel like crap if I didn't

Outback is shit.
I think they do the curbside carryout like chili’s (also shit) runners expect a tip like at Sonic Drive In(also shit)

3 step tip

1)Delete Social media
2)Get new job
3)Stop whining

I tip the drivers in the uk if the takeaway dont charge a delivery fee. If they do why should I then give the delivery guy a tip when im already paying for delivery.

Y’all dont tip on takeout? Wow, poor AF! Sure, just leave a buck or two...but you definitely tip.

If the person putting together the order makes under minimum wage you should tip.

So if you're picking up from Dominos no tip.

If you're picking up from an actual restaurant tip.

Otherwise everyone else is subsidizing your meals.

How about just pay what the meal is worth and menial labour gets menial pay?

If it’s “an Outback Steakhouse” tell them you are from the outback and in the Outback you pay what a meal is worth and don’t tip. I was there last year (broken hill, where mad Max 2 was filmed) and I sure as hell didn’t tip.

$735 is a big ass order to fill at a friggin Outback Steakhouse. You tip on that.

But it sounds like an honest mistake from the volunteer who was sent to pick up the order. The volunteer might not know to tip or have the authority to do so in the situation. I mean tipping even 10% would be $73 bucks. Volunteers can't be spending $73 on their own without clearance to do so. The volunteer could have called in when at the restaurant, or asked about tipping before they left to pick up the order, but the article says they didn't even think about it until it was sorta too late. The volunteer was sent to pick it up because Outback couldn't deliver it on time. So it was a rushed situation.

I mean what was the recourse? Going to social media is wrong. But do you call up the place and say "Umm, you didnt tip" when it's not mandatory.

This is why tipping as a practice should be abolished. The franchise should pay the servers more and raise prices to pay for it. Also the franchise should have a catering surcharge that would take into account the huge order and all that goes into getting it together.

$700 is alot of food. Multiple trips to the car, bagging up that much food is a pain in the ass.

She likely had tables that needed her attention, but had to spend time dealong with this huge call in order

Shes directing her anger at the wrong people though. Managment should have been dealing with that shit not a server. Shes dumb for bitching on facebook, im sure she finds a better restaurant to work for

I wouldnt have tipped on the same scale as if i sat down at ate, but i would have at the very fucking least tipped $10 to $20. These servers dont make money hourly. (i know $2.15 an hour, but after you tip out the bar and your expos and runners you make negative money if nobody tips correctly)

People that want tiping gone wouldnt be able to afford to go out to eat. Prices would go up big time, and many of your favorite restaurants would go under. Its really not that bad.. If i like the service i tip well, ive been in their shoes. Waiting tables fuckin blows.

Last edited:
How about just pay what the meal is worth and menial labour gets menial pay?
You're in Australia so it's probably different, but servers get paid less because tipping is assumed as part of their wage package. If servers got paid only their wage and tipping wasn't a thing, than nobody would be servers.

What is the expected tip? At a sit down restaurant with a $735 bill there will be a 20% gratuity added - so $147 tip, but for a pick up even 10% of $73 sounds high. I might be a cheap ass called on on SM as I think I would have left a couple $20's or maybe gave $800 even at most.

It depends on where it's form. I get takeout from a bar/restaurant and tip there. I don't at the pizza place.

What is the expected tip? At a sit down restaurant with a $735 bill there will be a 20% gratuity added - so $147 tip, but for a pick up even 10% of $73 sounds high. I might be a cheap ass called on on SM as I think I would have left a couple $20's or maybe gave $800 even at most.

A big part of the story that is being glossed over is that they really wanted to order delivery on this but the delivery service was delayed. It was an inconvenience for them to pick it up.

Back