Time frame for noticeable improvement?

Hooah

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot of threads here, and it seems that most of you are legit aficionados of strength training and whatnot.

Anyway, I'm 18 and have been with a trainer for about a month and a half. I train with him once a week and work independently 2-3 other times during the week. When we started toward the end of January, I was a (measly) 158, and I'm about 170 now. Ok improvement, but definitely not astronomical.

Initially, many of my training sessions consisted of isometric work, the floor stuff (that I find the most difficult...). We've only recently moved into the machines, which now consume most of our one hour sessions. During the week, I try to repeat previous lessons with the same technique, weight, reps and intensity.

My question is, for someone of my body type (slender, 6'3) and age, what is a reasonable time frame to expect the physical changes I'm after? I'm not in any type of a hurry, as I want to train correctly and with longevity in mind, but I just want to understand what I'm up against.

My trainer told me that two months is typically the length of time before you start to notice alterations in one's physique.

Thanks for your help!

My trainer told me that two months is typically the length of time before you start to notice alterations in one's physique.

If that's what you truly care about, you're in the wrong forum.

You want here

Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot of threads here, and it seems that most of you are legit aficionados of strength training and whatnot.

Anyway, I'm 18 and have been with a trainer for about a month and a half. I train with him once a week and work independently 2-3 other times during the week. When we started toward the end of January, I was a (measly) 158, and I'm about 170 now. Ok improvement, but definitely not astronomical.

Initially, many of my training sessions consisted of isometric work, the floor stuff (that I find the most difficult...). We've only recently moved into the machines, which now consume most of our one hour sessions. During the week, I try to repeat previous lessons with the same technique, weight, reps and intensity.

My question is, for someone of my body type (slender, 6'3) and age, what is a reasonable time frame to expect the physical changes I'm after? I'm not in any type of a hurry, as I want to train correctly and with longevity in mind, but I just want to understand what I'm up against.

Thanks for your help!

Since you didn't mention any goals, I'm going to have to consult my ouija board. BRB

My question is, for someone of my body type (slender, 6'3) and age, what is a reasonable time frame to expect the physical changes I'm after?
yes.

And ditch your trainer or tell him you refuse to do a machine based routine. Freeweights ftw.

Well given that your doing isolation exercises on machines. I would say a year or so would be a reasonable timeframe to see improvement. Two years at the max. If you ever wipe the sand out of your vagina and start doing heavy compound lifts. I would say 6 months till you can toss your "trainer" around like the granola eating sissy he is.

Since you didn't mention any goals, I'm going to have to consult my ouija board. BRB

Goals....I don't know what an adequate weight is for someone of my height. I'd probably want to get closer to 200 with as little body fat as possible.

I'll tell you, my 170 lb. frame as of now looks like another hundred pounds would hardly make a dent. :redface:

Hmmm...my ouija board says that you have a homosexual crush on somebody named HAENEL. It also said you want ript bicepts and jakt fibras. I'm not sure I know how to help you with either situation.

Edited for misspelling.

Well given that your doing isolation exercises on machines. I would say a year or so would be a reasonable timeframe to see improvement. Two years at the max. If you ever wipe the sand out of your vagina and start doing heavy compound lifts. I would say 6 months till you can toss your "trainer" around like the granola eating sissy he is.

So, apparently "Trainer" around here is like yelling "Fire" in a theater, huh?

He's actually going to be on American Gladiator next season, so he's not quite the vegan my lifeless words may make him seem.

This is more entertaining than helpful, but oh well.

If I were 6'3", I'd have to be at least 240.

He's actually going to be on American Gladiator next season, so he's not quite the vegan my lifeless words may make him seem.

He will most likely get pwned.

Hmmm...my ouija board says that you have a homosexual crush on somebody named HAENAL. It also said you want ript bicepts and jakt fibras. I'm not sure I know how to help you with either situation.

edit... Jumped the gun on that one. You may want to take your ouija board in for service, the spell check is out of whack.

on a semi-related note, IP trackers are an amazing thing...

The problem is we would essentially tell you to do something completely different than what trainer is telling you. So, it's hard for us to tell you what kind of "gains" to expect when we hate the exercises you're doing.

If it's been 2-3 months of working out 3-4 times a week and you're not happy, then my guess is the program you're on isn't working.

Follow the advice of some of the people have posted in this thread. Start lifting heavy free weights in compound movements. Check out the FAQ if that doesn't make sense.

Alright, guys, thanks for the advice -- I appreciate the honesty and differences of opinion.

Cheers.

Sacrifice some kids to Odin and you'll make instant gains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back