Time frame for noticeable improvement?

What does the IP Tracker indicate?
I can find the exact location of any of you squirly mother fuckers. I may just start going jay and silent bob on trolls.

*knocks*
"are you, tankisawesome17?"
"yeah"
"did you write, 'Urban doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about, curls are the most useful exercise ever'?"
"Yeah"
"Just wanted to confirm" *proceeds to beat the ever living crap out of troll*

I know chase's approximate address... I had no idea he was from P-town

I can find the exact location of any of you squirly mother fuckers. I may just start going jay and silent bob on trolls.

*knocks*
"are you, tankisawesome17?"
"yeah"
"did you write, 'Urban doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about, curls are the most useful exercise ever'?"
"Yeah"
"Just wanted to confirm" *proceeds to beat the ever living crap out of troll*

My guess is you can't see me at my super-secret location.

What is the "Cut out program" in the San Diego Fine Woodworkers Association?

I give up... what is it? Never spent much time in SD myself

Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot of threads here, and it seems that most of you are legit aficionados of strength training and whatnot.

Anyway, I'm 18 and have been with a trainer for about a month and a half. I train with him once a week and work independently 2-3 other times during the week. When we started toward the end of January, I was a (measly) 158, and I'm about 170 now. Ok improvement, but definitely not astronomical.

Initially, many of my training sessions consisted of isometric work, the floor stuff (that I find the most difficult...). We've only recently moved into the machines, which now consume most of our one hour sessions. During the week, I try to repeat previous lessons with the same technique, weight, reps and intensity.

My question is, for someone of my body type (slender, 6'3) and age, what is a reasonable time frame to expect the physical changes I'm after? I'm not in any type of a hurry, as I want to train correctly and with longevity in mind, but I just want to understand what I'm up against.

My trainer told me that two months is typically the length of time before you start to notice alterations in one's physique.

Thanks for your help!

You already have some good changes. If that is muscle and not just fat, you are already doing very, believe it or not. Be advised, this board is about strength and power, not looking nice with beach muscles.

You went up about 12 pounds in about 6 weeks. That is 2 pounds per week. It is likely that if you did add on muscle, you won't continue to grow that fast for long (unless it is a youthful growing spurt in there too).

What is your routine like? How much are you eating? Why do you need a trainer? Why are you using machines instead of heavy weights? Is your strength improving too or just your appearance of strength?

You already have some good changes. If that is muscle and not just fat, you are already doing very, believe it or not. Be advised, this board is about strength and power, not looking nice with beach muscles.

You went up about 12 pounds in about 6 weeks. That is 2 pounds per week. It is likely that if you did add on muscle, you won't continue to grow that fast for long (unless it is a youthful growing spurt in there too).

What is your routine like? How much are you eating? Why do you need a trainer? Why are you using machines instead of heavy weights? Is your strength improving too or just your appearance of strength?

Thanks for the reply.

Honestly, my performance in the gym in various exercises has really improved. I feel quicker in cardio-esque exercises and last longer than at the start of my sessions last January. I don't look burly or anything, but there's a slight aesthetic improvement, too.

A typical workout entails work with Bosu balls, body holds, squats (no added weight, just where I have one leg hovering, hands on hips, do 20 a side), and things of that nature where it's mostly me versus gravity. Then, I'll move to machines that I don't even know the names of. :p Also, we do several amount of non-machine weights, but the weight is easy enough to do 15 reps or so worth. He has not pushed seriously heavy things on me...yet.

I work with a trainer because I want to do my workouts correctly and with no negative infliction on my body. I want to learn gradually and properly so that my body will take a good form now, before college, and be in an improvable position for the rest of my life (until I croak, haha).

Eating has bothered me. My trainer has been good for guiding me and teaching me some fundamentals, but I haven't been given a diet worthy of a skinny kid like me. I know it's important to pack it in many times a day, but I'm not sure how often (I've heard 6 meals is appropriate...) and of what my meals should consist.

Anyway, my workout description is really tough to describe as I have no idea what the exercises are called, I merely know how to do them.

My trainer has told me that he started me with isometric work, branched slowly into weights and machines, and will start building the weight each session. He claims that after several months, physical improvements noticeable to the eye will be more apparent.

Thoughts? Thanks again -- and sorry for posting this in the wrong website. I just stumbled across it and figured 'what the heck.'

I work with a trainer because I want to do my workouts correctly and with no negative infliction on my body. I want to learn gradually and properly so that my body will take a good form now, before college, and be in an improvable position for the rest of my life (until I croak, haha).

Your trainer is lying to you about the dangers of free weights, and giving you an overly complicated plan to keep you paying for him.

The S&P faq has a great, simple, awesome routine that will make you WAY stronger (and bigger, as a nice bonus). Short summary: simple, compound lifts like the squat, deadlift, and bench or overhead press.

The D&S faq has the details necessary to make you eat correctly. Short summary: 6+ meals a day, protein + leafy green at each meal. For weight gain, drink lots of milk (like, a glass at every meal).

Pro tip: Aim for progression with STRENGTH, not with SIZE. It's much easier to see progress in terms of +5 pounds on a lift PR rather than -.05% body fat or +1cm biceps. The size will come, but you'll stay more motivated with consistent, tangible progress.

12 pounds of muscle in a month with that crap routine and you are complaining?

I agree with green death: you are doing very, believe it or not.

Thoughts? Thanks again -- and sorry for posting this in the wrong website. I just stumbled across it and figured 'what the heck.'
It sounds like you are most interested in aesthetic improvements. I recommend that you go to http://bodybuilding.com. They have good forums and you would find them more aligned with your interests. This forum is concerned with strength and not looks. It will be tough for you here.

It sounds like you are most interested in aesthetic improvements. I recommend that you go to http://bodybuilding.com. They have good forums and you would find them more aligned with your interests. This forum is concerned with strength and not looks. It will be tough for you here.

Does this mean I should leave since I am devishly handsome?

Define "correctly."

Eating has bothered me. My trainer has been good for guiding me and teaching me some fundamentals, but I haven't been given a diet worthy of a skinny kid like me. I know it's important to pack it in many times a day, but I'm not sure how often (I've heard 6 meals is appropriate...) and of what my meals should consist.

Check out the D&S forum. My life has changed significantly since I've started reading the information there. I've tried my best to live by Berardi's seven habits and it's done wonders. The habits are even easier if your looking to gain weight.

Anyway, my workout description is really tough to describe as I have no idea what the exercises are called, I merely know how to do them.

My trainer has told me that he started me with isometric work, branched slowly into weights and machines, and will start building the weight each session. He claims that after several months, physical improvements noticeable to the eye will be more apparent.

I've been doing the Bill Starr 5x5 program mentioned in the S&P FAQ for two and a half weeks now. It's all of SIX exercises all involving free weights and I've already noticed strength gains (+10 lbs on my bench, squat and deadlift). I can also see aesthetic changes to my body already and I'm 31 years old.

Back