Tiger Muay Thai, Phuket - Review

Alright guys…I appreciate all the emails–Tweets–facebook messages–and phone calls asking about Roger Huerta training at a new gym while he is here in Phuket…instead of answering each and everyone—I figured the easiest way would be to put up a blog entry.
I still remember when Tiger Muay Thai first attracted UFC veteran Roger Huerta to the gym at the end of 2009. After winning 5 fights in a row with the UFC, and making the cover of Sports Illustrated…he got involved in a hard contract negotiation with Zuffa, the company that controls the UFC. Unable to come to terms with a new deal–the UFC gave him two tough fights where he lost back to back bouts against now Featherweight Kenny Florian and LW Contender Gray Maynard.
Visiting my family and friends in the states, a representative from NCFC fighter Management named Molly Hessel contacted me about arranging a training trip for Huerta and his long time training partner Dave Menne. Huerta, suffering a disappointing 2 fight losing streak was planing on traveling to Thailand for the first time in an effort to improve his striking skills while his management team negotiated with multiple fight promotions on his behalf. Molly wanted to make sure Huerta would be looked after and well taken care of during his International trip.

Arranging for Huerta to receive the ‘VIP’ treatment from Tiger Muay Thai, I ensured both Huerta and Menne had a free place of their own to stay at during the training trip, and made sure the gym took care of them while they were away from family and friends.

Huerta instantly developed a relationship with many of the employees and friends of TMT, as they showed him where to eat–where to party–which trainers to learn from…basically taking him into the TMT family and ensuring he fell in love with Thailand and the Thai culture.

Immediately following his first trip to Thailand, Huerta signed a contract with the Latin based promotion Bellator. Facing a tough prospect named Chad Hinton, Huerta defeated him in the third round via kneebar submission, in a bout that was tougher than expected. In his second fight for Bellator, Huerta faced off against Chicago Featherweight Pat Curran, losing a closely contested decision, essentially eliminating him from the tournament structure.

Following the fight with Pat Curran, Huerta returned back to Thailand. Looking to help Huerta continue progressing his standup and to get back on the winning side of things, TMT once again took care of his housing, and provided him with free VIP training, and 1 on 1 privates with our top trainers. Huerta and Tiger Muay Thai shared a mutually beneficial relationship as he was essentially able to live for free while training with some of the world’s top instructors at no cost–while the gym received the marketing of having him call Tiger Muay Thai ‘home’ when he was in Asia.

Huerta became one of the most liked fighters at the gym by establishing himself in the TMT family. I was really impressed when he offered to donate two private 1 on 1 lessons for the ‘Save Tuptim’ auction held at the BBQ Beatdown.

Heading back to the states, Huerta was granted the opportunity of a lifetime when Pat Curran suffered an injury while training for a bout against Bellator Champion Eddie Alvarez. Looking for a replacement, and wanting to promote the ‘Superfight’ of Latino Stars Eddie Alvarez Vs. Roger Huerta, Bellator promoted a non-title fight, and allowed Huerta to step in for the injured Curran. Following a hard fought 2 round bout, Huerta suffered a TKO loss, sustaining a fractured orbital bone in the process.

Following the disappointing defeat Huerta headed back to Thailand to get away from the stress of the fight industry. Allowing his face to fuse back together, Huerta trained 1 on 1 with Kru Yod. In exchange for a 2 hour seminar by Huerta, TMT again rolled out the red carpet providing him with free housing and VIP training at no cost. The loss to Alvarez came at a difficult time for Huerta, as his record fell to 1-4 in his last 5 fights. Taking some time off to evaluate what he wanted to do in his Career, Huerta got a chance to enjoy some of the joys of Thailand–developing a relationship with frequent Phuket visitor Mike Swick.

After another extended trip in Thailand, Huerta headed back to the states for a seminar tour and to visit friends and family.

Heading back to the land of smiles earlier this year, Huerta and Swick returned to Tiger Muay Thai, as Swick was looking to jump start his training camp for the UFC RIO which is getting set to air next weekend.

Receiving an email from mutual friends–The gym was informed that both Swick and Huerta were working on a new business project and would be opening up a Muay Thai and MMA training facility in Phuket Thailand.

….Having been in the fight game a long time–I wasn’t overly surprised that Swick and Huerta were interested in opening a gym of their own. Truth be told, Swick unsuccessfully tried to buy Tiger Muay Thai and MMA Phuket from my partner prior to me making the Ultimate Fighter reality show.

A fighters career only lasts for so long, and then we have to start looking at other opportunities to provide for our families. As a company, the immediate concern for TMT was that Huerta had lived and trained at the gym for about 12 months and that they were going to recruit our top trainers to their new facility.

Calling a meeting with Swick and Huerta we were promised, that was not their intention, and that they had plans on ‘informing TMT’ of their new business project once the plans became a bit more certain. Still needing a location to jump start his training camp for UFC RIO, Swick and TMT agreed to let him train at Tiger while he was in Phuket.
Returning to Thailand this week, Huerta has decided that Tiger Muay Thai isn’t a comfortable fit for him anymore. Going 1-2 since training at Tiger, and looking to shake up his training partners, Huerta has decided to prepare for a rumored Oct. bout at 170lbs, with the gym down the road.

Having ran the MMA program at Tiger Muay Thai since 2007, I’ve never really had the opportunity spar or grapple with Huerta. While at Tiger Muay Thai he has trained only in private 1 on 1 sessions with the Thai instructors–and hasn’t mixed in with any of the other MMA fighters we’ve had come through the facility (I.E. Brian Ebersole, Muhsin Corbbrey, JJ Ambrose).

It’s disappointing that Huerta no longer feels welcome in a gym where he lived and trained free during a 12 month period…however, I’m sure I speak for the entire team when I say we wish him the best of luck with his training camp–and hope his new gym is a success. Moving forward, we are happy with the marketing we were able to get during his time at the gym…my only regret is that the MMA team at TMT didn’t get a chance to work with Roger

Ok maybe I was a little harsh. It's not shit, but you can do better. I did one MMA class there it was crowded, I can happily say that was shit, 40-30 people to one MMA intructor who only focuses on his one or two favourites.

I ended up being in all four teirs of class. Beginners, Intermediate, expert and fighter. Now the Beginners class is good for learning the basic moves and getting your fitness up, however the level is very low and when I was there (March) it was crowded with 30 odd people there to less than 10 intructors.

Intermediate is much the same, they will teach you the basic moves and a little clinch, only three rounds on the pads, alot of focus on fitness. The level here varies greatly, from beginners to fighters who are not arrogant enough to go into the expert class. Same problem with overcrowding though

Expert class. Now I admit I actually liked this one. The focus is mainly on technique, there was a trainer for every student when I was there, though alot of the time they seemed disinterested in what we were doing. Still only three rounds on pads though. Also I would have been happy with TMT if they let me stay in this class. However I turned up one morning and because I was the only one there they sent me to the Fighter class (I assume they didnt want to hang around to teach one person). Now I wouldnt care so much if they let me return to the expert class the next day, but they didn't, after that I was told to only go to the fighter class.

Fighter class. As you can probably guess from the last paragraph I didn't enjoy this one too much. The problem was here that they expect you to already have the techniques down. I come from a boxing/kickboxing background so my clinchwork was non existent, and my use of knees and elbows and checking kicks and all those things was poor. So I learnt very little in the expert class. They seemed more concerned with just making us work out.

Boxing Class. The Thai style of western boxing is very different from the way I was taught in England. however they have a legit boxing coach (fought Paquiao). The problem is so many beignners and "intermediates" turn up that once again you have overcrowding and they have to teach the basics every time, you never develop.

I will say the facilities were top notch though. My main problem with TMT is the size it's far too big. So big I struggle to remember peoples names, the trainers names, I struggle to get to know people, to get to know the trainers.

As opposed to a smaller gym like Sinbi where I nearly always worked with the same trainer, I knew all the trainers and they knew me (well they thought I was called Jack for the entire 5 months but it's close to my name), got 5 rounds on pads every day and got lots of personal attention. I also found it much easier to make friends due to the much smaller size and the trainers seemed much more enthusiastic about helping me improve as a fighter.

I think that's a fair review based on my experiences. I got home 2 weeks ago. It sucks.

My 3 Month Fight Camp in Thailand: Mike Swick steps up and tells his side of the Tiger Muay Thai Gym Rivalary

Now it's up to Ray Elbe and the owners of Tiger Muay Thai to decide how they want to deal with the competition.

Tiger Muay Thai and Ray Elbe have two choices, they can either continue to improve their gym and training, set a fair competitive price and make their gym so good that people will pick TMT as their first choice, not just their only choice as it was in the past, or they can try to hold back and put down the new gyms such as Phuket Top Team and Huerta and Swick's upcoming gym.
I won't involved with the drama but as far as business is concerned, competition is coming.

Right now Tiger Muay Thai has old facilities that need a remodel or at least a fresh coat of paint. Their classes are often too big for people to get personal attention without spending extra money on private lessons, and there have been too many cases of skin infections. Their prices are also on par with training in the U.S. and could be more competitive considering this is Thailand.

other stuff from this guy's experience

My 3 Month Fight Camp in Thailand: Actual Monthly Living Costs - Training MMA and Muay Thai in Thailand

ok im gonna cut to the chase and ask the question we all wanna know. how are the whores in phuket? :icon_lol:

It seems like a shitty situation all around. Not good for either of the camps. The only clear winner will be Huerta when he opens his camp.

As Ryukyu stated in the Thailand thread, I don't understand the point of going to Thailand to train MMA. If I'm going to go back to Thailand I want to train Muay Thai with experienced Thais. If you are in the U.S. and serious wouldn't it make more sense to go to New Mexico and train with Greg Jackson or Iowa and train with Miletich? The training would be cheaper and I'm sure you can find an apartment in one of those areas for $600/mo or less. Even if you are in Europe or Australia, I would bet there are local MMA gyms that are as good as ones in Thailand and cheaper to train than flying to Thailand

Why is everybody always mentioning Tiger Muay Thai when talking about muay thai in Phuket? There are dozens of better gyms on Phuket.

Legendary fighter Jomhod has his own gym in Kata Beach. I trained there and there was a real serious fighter atmosphere. Everybody was there to train hard, to learn as much as possible and to win fights. Prapa Kata Muaythai.com

There is the famous Rawai Gym, which is well known in the professional muay thai scene. Meet the Trainers, Fighters & Staff at Rawai Muay Thai Camp - Phuket, Thailand

Of course there is Sinbi Muay Thai where Saenchai trains: Sinbi Muay Thai Training Camp Phuket Thailand

If you can choose from these 3 gyms alone, why would you even consider going to Tiger?

As Ryukyu stated in the Thailand thread, I don't understand the point of going to Thailand to train MMA. If I'm going to go back to Thailand I want to train Muay Thai with experienced Thais. If you are in the U.S. and serious wouldn't it make more sense to go to New Mexico and train with Greg Jackson or Iowa and train with Miletich? The training would be cheaper and I'm sure you can find an apartment in one of those areas for $600/mo or less. Even if you are in Europe or Australia, I would bet there are local MMA gyms that are as good as ones in Thailand and cheaper to train than flying to Thailand

Perhaps the only benefit it will be an eye opener and a stepping stone to further get Americans to train Muay Thai. Come to think of it, if it wasnt for Sherdog net forums I would never have discovered Kaewsamrit gym.

thank u all for posting. what do u guys think of how tiger muaythai reacted to mike swick and huerta?

This gym is the worst, been to thailand twice, first time for 3 months and second time for 2 years, had 15 fights from all over thailand from isaan to chang mai to phuket and inbetween and this gym is overpriced overcrowded and utter shit. The only thing this place is good for is a starter point and to get a 1 year visa (they got me a working visa??! only benefit although I didn't even work).

There trainers are fucking lazy and shit from dealing with so many stupid first time foreigners and just see the 500 or so people training there as meal tickets (as most people in thailand do), Privates consisted of running around for 30 minutes while my trainer read his newspaper, sweet paying 600 baht to run in a circle for half of it...

Anyway I know from going their there is so many tiger lovers (first timers and idiots who don't have the balls to go to another gym) So I won't delve into arguing just share my not too detailed opinion.

DON'T GO TO THIS GYM.

Try Dragon down the road it was my favorite on this soi (only arrived back in europe after new year so I'm pretty fresh) Their trainers are so friendly, I bought a private once and didnt even use it, only because they showed me and exhuasted me in class unlike tiger which feels like there grinding out each session. Spent about 6 months there and loved every moment, even fought for them and this is where I would go back.

Also went to Phuket Top Team which has some awesome trainers (and some bad ones) and it was a much better experience except for the owners wife being a nut job with a gun, loud voice and a habit for argueing and him being a total australian biker wanna be pussy with some shit tattoo on his neck (i hate him more because he lets her run the fucking gym, i heard he got pistol whipped buy her and obviously she owns the business probably just another foreign sap who can't wear the pants...but someone like that owning a gym? fuck off)

Also if your in that area check out Rawai Supa Muay Thai in Rawai (could of guessed right) also another very well run gym with good trainers and would go back here too. Fought for both Dragon and Supa in my time in Phuket and would only visit these gyms in phuket from now on.

As for Tiger i'll share my thoughts and experiences. Was in beginner class for too long was utter jokes, oh yeh got threatened by the head trainer in intermediate who was a total asshole and wanted to head butt him bad but made a complaint which the manager who has now retired I think he even called them a bunch of "useless monkeys" or something... Yeh tiger out of about 10 or so gyms I trained at was definitely the worst in so many ways just a business trying to sell you overpriced and useless crap from the second I walked in...and that tiger equipment...when you go to another gym u always see tiger gloves left behind because that person realizes and is so embarrassed he leaves them at the new gym and buys a pair that doesn't link him/her to that POS. Saw them from Koh Tao to Isaan. I know I wouldnt leave a beautiful pair of fairtex gloves in good condition but I also know I wouldn't be in a rush to steal a tiger set (and most people who trained outside of tiger) anytime soon.

All I can say is avoid this gym, even if ur booked to go just head straight to Dragon, unless your a pretentious dick who thinks they know a thing or 2 about muay thai when they don't then it's perfect for you.

Last edited:
what a thread lol

i'm happy for those that have had a good experience, but gat dayum at some of these experiences and the camp drama. there are people at my uk gym that want to train there D:

thanks for sharing all

Also went to Phuket Top Team which has some awesome trainers (and some bad ones) and it was a much better experience except for the owners wife being a nut job with a gun, loud voice and a habit for argueing and him being a total australian biker wanna be pussy with some shit tattoo on his neck (i hate him more because he lets her run the fucking gym, i heard he got pistol whipped buy her and obviously she owns the business probably just another foreign sap who can't wear the pants...but someone like that owning a gym? fuck off)

Would you recommend going to ptt?

Funny read. I can't tell you how much grief I got after giving this place a thumbs down back in 2008 and then again in 2009. Glad more and more people are coming to their senses.

This gym is really for fighters only. If you're a tourist, it's best to go somewhere else

This thread is f@cking confusing. Tiger is a beginners/Fat Camp gym and Roger Huerta was still present when i visit back in July 2014

Tiger is a good example of how any publicity is good publicity because people are dumb.

Back