Tiger Muay Thai, Phuket - Review

I didn't have a great experience with the Muay Thai at TMT. I did enjoy the MMA though. Ray wasn't there and we were taught by two black belts from America. The Avellan brothers? The classes were small also. But when i first got there, they were overcrowded. This was around Jan-Feb 2009.

So for the Muay Thai i was sent to the advanced section. My padholder was completely uninterested and during clinching i was just in the ring with some farangs and wasn't taught or corrected on anything. At this time my clinch work sucked and i got dominated and thrown around.

After that session i ended up going to Phuket dragon and doing privates with Yod. I kept up the MMA at Tiger.

Either way, TMT isn't everyones cup of tea. Different strokes for different folks.

Yod holds pads at TMT now .. wonder if he has become disinterested?

Yod holds pads at TMT now .. wonder if he has become disinterested?

Do you have some sort of financial interest in TMT or something? This whole conversation is pointless, people didn't like your camp, get over it.

I'm quite frankly glad that the people who do not like your camp have spoken up, its always good to have multiple reviews of a place/product/thing/etc so that you can take a more objective look at it.

Do you have some sort of financial interest in TMT or something? This whole conversation is pointless, people didn't like your camp, get over it.

I'm quite frankly glad that the people who do not like your camp have spoken up, its always good to have multiple reviews of a place/product/thing/etc so that you can take a more objective look at it.

The op seemed to like the camp.. yet the same guys have to trash it, maybe they need to get over it? Check any thread on this camp and you will see the same 5 or so guys piping up to trash it.
And plenty of people like "my" camp which is why so many people go there over and over again.
You aren't getting an objective view and thats the point.

Seen yours....:rolleyes:

Seriously made me puke , watching beat up on some undersized lil runts. Funny when one of them cut you up though.

You seriously should consider losing some weight. Loose saggy breasts and a square boxy torso on some skinny ass white legs does NOT look good.
You move all stiff n slow. That probably is the reason.

If anybody wants to see them just look for Preston on Rawai Muay Thai.com

They got fights on there where thais just walk off for no reason and their students get awarded TKOs !

i was wondering how long it would take you to comment on this thread i feel honored that it is because of me . you seem to chime in on any thread about phuket muay thai and from your ip address im pretty sure you are the guy on all the gyms website forums . do you even do anything besides throw your two cents into every conversation. also how do you figure chaiyo aka the thai giant is a little runt . also i never made a quote that i was a champ yeah ive had some shit fights but i have had some that are good quality fights .

just for fun lets see a video of your fight

i was wondering how long it would take you to comment on this thread i feel honored that it is because of me . you seem to chime in on any thread about phuket muay thai and from your ip address im pretty sure you are the guy on all the gyms website forums . do you even do anything besides throw your two cents into every conversation. also how do you figure chaiyo aka the thai giant is a little runt . also i never made a quote that i was a champ yeah ive had some shit fights but i have had some that are good quality fights .

just for fun lets see a video of your fight

That guy also gave someone shit for asking a noob question, told someone that arm-punching was okay if they didn't want to learn how to punch properly, and that a kid should disrespect his Kru. I wouldn't even bother. Ignore the tool.

Going to weigh in because the point of a forum is discussion...

I did a private, with Yod, at Tiger a couple of years ago. it was more than fantastic. he is great.

However, a good friend hated Tiger with a passion, and he spent 2 months training Karate (in Japan) and 4 months training Thai at Lanna Chiang Mai, Tiger in Phuket and Legacy in Ubon.

Legacy was by far his favorite camp, and he still wont shut up about it.

Short version of his thoughts on tiger

- too many foreigners, which caused too much of a laid back style eg not many people running at the start of sessions
- too many people
- too expensive
- ddint think much of the mma stuff there (i cant comment, I didnt do any), but he loved the mma stuff in Ubon.

The op seemed to like the camp.. yet the same guys have to trash it, maybe they need to get over it? Check any thread on this camp and you will see the same 5 or so guys piping up to trash it.
And plenty of people like "my" camp which is why so many people go there over and over again.
You aren't getting an objective view and thats the point.

If anyone posts on the forum, positive or negative, other people weigh in with their EXPERIENCES, positive or negative. Other people can then argue / comment / discuss what has been said = The point of the forum. Dunno why you're being a baby about the whole thread...

Going to weigh in because the point of a forum is discussion...

I did a private, with Yod, at Tiger a couple of years ago. it was more than fantastic. he is great.

However, a good friend hated Tiger with a passion, and he spent 2 months training Karate (in Japan) and 4 months training Thai at Lanna Chiang Mai, Tiger in Phuket and Legacy in Ubon.

Legacy was by far his favorite camp, and he still wont shut up about it.

Short version of his thoughts on tiger

- too many foreigners, which caused too much of a laid back style eg not many people running at the start of sessions
- too many people
- too expensive
- ddint think much of the mma stuff there (i cant comment, I didnt do any), but he loved the mma stuff in Ubon.

hmmm not that i like tiger at all. but i find it funny your buddy didn't like tiger for those reasons but he liked lanna? Honestly lanna is a decent gym, but saying you don't like tiger cause its full of forgieners and then you like lanna makes no sense. Cause that's pretty much all that train there and most of them spend more time talking than actually training.

here's why tiger sucks...classes and private lessons. Muay thai is expensive enough in thailand, there's no need to rip people off more. Tiger is basically a goodlife with muay thai slapped in front of it.

okay, so forget the foreigners and forget the money.

is the instruction good at Tiger?

I mean, if you are a US guy, you are not going to fight any thai size guys unless you are a featherweight

okay, so forget the foreigners and forget the money.

is the instruction good at Tiger?

I mean, if you are a US guy, you are not going to fight any thai size guys unless you are a featherweight

The trainers are good, but you will likely have to buy a private lesson to get their attention.

hmmm not that i like tiger at all. but i find it funny your buddy didn't like tiger for those reasons but he liked lanna? Honestly lanna is a decent gym, but saying you don't like tiger cause its full of forgieners and then you like lanna makes no sense. Cause that's pretty much all that train there and most of them spend more time talking than actually training.

here's why tiger sucks...classes and private lessons. Muay thai is expensive enough in thailand, there's no need to rip people off more. Tiger is basically a goodlife with muay thai slapped in front of it.

dont think i mentioned any comment regarding lanna whatsoever bro, legacy was the one he settled at for longest. :)

Mike Swick details Thailand beef with Tiger Muay Thai & MMA - MMA News

"Tiger Muay Thai is claiming that Roger and I are traitors, like Aldrich Ames in the 80's, since we have trained at their facility before and are now doing our own gym in Thailand. Ray Elbe(Tiger Head MMA Trainer, Spokesperson) has been maliciously bad mouthing us to everyone at Tiger and to anyone that will listen, though after we announced we were doing this, we met with him and came to an agreement in which he was very respectful and understanding in person. Soon as we left Thailand we were traders and had disrespected Tiger.

It is uber sad considering what all we have done for Tiger and done for free. I have put on 2 seminars, one bringing in over 100 people, attended numerous events, let them film for their youtube and even reffed their NeverTap Asia grappling tournament.

I never got paid for any of these things as they used the footage and photos to promote their gym for the last 4 years. What I did get was free privates($18 each) with the Muay Thai trainers and a free stay at one of their nearby bungalows which ran $10 a night. In the 4 years I was in Phuket, I did less than 10 privates at Tiger Muay Thai and received paid accommodations for about a week and a half. I never trained in the MMA class at their facility. Only taught MMA to students.

The only time Ray and I were ever even on the mat together is when he asked me to roll with him in preparation for his debut on The Ultimate Fighter season 9. Even leary because I had heard how he verbally bumped and grinded a few people I know who were higher level fighters in the UFC I went ahead and rolled with him and gave him all the advice I had on being prepared for the show. No matter what people had told me, I was nothing but nice to him. And by that I mean, people told me not to be nice.

These are actual quotes Ray wrote in his blogs that are still on his website in the archives... This is obviously before we announced we were doing a gym.

"A few of you may have noticed UFC Star Mike Swick walking around the Tiger Muay Thai and MMA Phuket Training facility the last couple of days. Swick is vacationing on the island of Phuket and has been to TMT several times in the past. During last years Nevertap Asia grappling tournament he put on one of the best Nogi grappling seminars we have ever had."

"Huerta who appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated, is one of the nicest professional fighters I've met,I can see why Bellator saw his marketability...He's one of the most exciting latino fighters in the world!"

"Seminar was scheduled to last 2 hours...and Huerta has given the guest 3...what an amazing day!!!!"

"Huerta is one of the most humble people I have ever met...His seminar today was one of the best...if not...the best...seminar...Tiger Muay Thai has ever had. Unless you won the lottery today...you missed out."

"Huerta has fought at the highest level of MMA--He's regarded as one of the top Lightweight fighters in the world... Yesterday he gave an 'MMA' seminar to close to 80 guest of Tiger Muay Thai...and it was amazing."

"Thanx to Roger 'El Matador' Huerta for the seminar he gave to the guest of Tiger Muay Thai before heading back to the states. It was a great opportunity for many of the guest of Tiger Muay Thai and MMA Phuket to train with one of the top fighters in the world!!

Of course the current blog quotes now have changed significantly. We obviously expected they would but trying to recruit Rogers next opponent he help give him insight shocked even us. Shenanigans!! Yikes!
War Machine responds how anyone would I guess...

WarMachine170
@tigermuaythai if he trained with you guys for a year why would u wanna help me beat him?
20 Sep

Good question. Anyway, moving on...
Its not like I just moved in on Phuket yesterday with a master plan. It was days ago! Many! I have been training Muay Thai in Thailand since 2000, well before there was a Tiger Gym. I have trained at many different gyms spanning from Bangkok to Pattaya to Koh Samui to Phuket.

I have trained in parking lots, peoples houses, hot open fields, concrete basketball courts, on the beach and Thailand's newer facilities. Obviously Phuket being my favorite because of the beautiful beaches, amazing scenery and friendly people. Through the years I made many friends in Phuket and was there way before I trained at Tiger Muay Thai. They act like they are the only gym in Phuket and we are moving in to threaten them.

As far as gyms in Phuket... Our gym is not on the main road of Tigers and the other 2 gyms. It is in Phuket where there are probably 50+ other gyms. All operate on the island and most are pretty chill. The only issues I have ever seen between gyms in the 4 years I have been going there is with Tiger and others.

This is a big reason I retracted my offer to buy Tiger while I was in negotiations with the gym owner, Will, a few years ago. I dealt with him for over a year while trying to buy Tiger Muay Thai. I made a lucrative offer that he was considering but after finding out certain things, I politely retracted and we shook hands as he wished me luck on doing a gym on my own in the future, as he knows it was my dream. After this happened I stayed away from Tiger completely so it wouldn't look like I was being malicious in my attempts to do my own thing.
I didn't train 1 time there in the last 3 years except 2 1hr sessions a few months ago when told to do so by the gym owner. Yikes at my last contradiction.

Anyway, I was in Thailand and we had just posted that Roger and I teamed up and that we are doing our own gym and he knew I was training for a fight, UFC 134, and insisted on us training there so long as we didn't try and steal his trainers. We agreed because we had hoped that us doing a gym would let us all work together and improve training for all the thousands of fighters that flock to Phuket each year

That was not the case though. They wanted us to train there so that they can promote us training together at Tiger then later accuse us of stealing trainers to make us look bad. We were set up like cloak and dagger.

Of course we didn't know this at the time so I tweeted that I was training there but by day 2 everyone was coming up to us saying that Ray was bashing us and saying this and that. So after only my second session in the last 3 years, we left.

Fortunately for us, another gym(Phuket Top Team) not only welcomed us to train but welcomed us with chin down and open arms and we made a plan to all work together and create the best training experience for anyone interested in seriously training Muay Thai and MMA in Phuket. Since then many other people and facilities welcomed us to our new home.

We are not trying to take Tigers customers or trainers. That is just silly! There are a ton of great fighters that become trainers everyday in Bangkok plus trainers move like vintage David Caradine in Kung Fu. In the 4 years I was in Phuket, I can't tell you how many trainers came and went from all the gyms. Success lies in recruiting young talented trainers and taking care of them and their families. There is a successful formula as I will get into that in 2 paragraphs and one sentence from now...

Even with Tiger attacking us, we have no malicious intent towards them. Not even you Ray. I mean I wouldn't give you a hug or anything but yea whatever. To everyone reading this, If you train at Tiger and like training at Tiger and wanna go back to Tiger, we hope that you do. We truly do. We obviously welcome everyone but also have our own customers who we have met and friended through the years who wanna train with us in a gym like we are building. We will bring in more customers than we can probably facilitate year round so it is silly to think we would be poaching from other gyms customers. Like I said before, other gyms know and see this and thats why they have formed friendships with us as we will help to build their student base and names as well.

We are just 2 guys who are building our dream gym in paradise using the skills, experience and connections that we gained from fighting in rings around the world ourselves. That's what makes us different. Roger\ and I wanna create a gym that has the same curriculum, work ethic and training as all the top gyms we both have trained at over the course of our career.

We wanna have top level MMA fighters come to tropical Thailand and be able to get the same or more of a demanding training session that they would get in their top gyms back home as well as train with some of the best Muay Thai trainers on the planet.

We also wanna introduce inexperienced MMA fighters and hopefuls to the type of training they will need to embark on in order to take them to the next level of their abilities. Not only other fighters but I have trained with thousands of our troops overseas while doing Military tours in over 10 countries and I can't wait to invite all of you to our facility to continue our training and friendships. Military are VIP at our camp! ;)
We are not businessmen looking for quick profits and money. We are fighters looking to spark greatness in the fighters of tomorrow while living out the adventure of a lifetime."

i was watching martial combat, the singapore mma promotion in 2010. Ray Elbe had some beef with another fighter and talked down on him after he won his fight. The crowd mostly boo'd him.. lol.

As far as AKA.... This is a gym I am a core member of and will forever be a part of. I have been at AKA for over 10 years and was there when we named it AKA from Team Shamrock. Javier, the owner, was one of the first guys I talked to about doing a gym in Thailand and he and the team thought it was a fantastic idea for me even though it wasn't an AKA named franchise. Even before I asked for it to be affiliated with AKA. They were happy for me, wished me well and said they can't wait to come and train there. Not only that but there are several MMA gyms within miles of our facilities in San Jose. There is no Gang type mentality where we bash other gyms and they bash us. We all offer our style of service and product and all have our own student base. This is why the AKA name and franchise is so successful and has built Champion after Champion from the ground up. Thomson, Cook, Mendez and myself were there when Cain and Fitch and Koscheck, Cormier, Wilcox and Kyle and Rockhold and many others came in the door with little or no MMA experience. They trained hard with AKA's proven formula and all became stars. Almost everyone that was there in the old days that stuck it out and didn't quit became stars. Gyms that offer a good product, good service, a good business module and who focus on their team, don't usually hate and worry about what other gyms are doing.

And for the people mentioning a possible reality show. Stay tuned to find out. This gym will probably be as socially connected and visible as any has been before.

We wanna thank everyone out there for the ongoing support we have received. For those asking about more info, we will make it available as soon as it happens. Obviously Roger and I have been an open box via our Twitter and Youtube sites. If you wanna see Phuket and see Cobra Blood Drinking, Snake Eating, Monkey Training, Shark Fishing and more, get caught up on my Youtube so you can be prepared when you come out and hang with our crazy asses.

OfficialSwick's Channel - YouTube

My 3 Month Fight Camp in Thailand: Roger Huerta and Mike "Quick" Swick are Opening a new MMA Gym here in Phuket Thailand!

Some people ask, why go to Thailand to learn MMA? Well, it's definetely not because it's cheaper. American Kickboxing Academy where Mike Swick trains in San Jose is $129US (3,870THB) a month for MMA. Here in Phuket, Places like Tiger Muay Thai and Phuket Top Team all charge the same price which is around $316US (9,500thb) per month. That's crazy isn't it!?

So why are training prices DOUBLE the prices in America? Well, first competition, there are only a few MMA gyms out here, so hopefully when more pop up, prices will go down.

But aside from that, you still save money on rent, accommodation, and food. So including training, your entire monthly budget including sports massages, eating out 4 times a day, and training can still be under $1,000US. Which is normally just the cost of rent back home.

Plus since you'll be living at the camp, you'll be training twice a day, up to 12 times per week, where at home, you probably would have just trained a few nights a week after work. When it comes down to it, here's the secret on how gyms make money. They want to you sign up, pay in advance and then stop coming. Which is why Phuket is the perfect place for MMA and Muay Thai Gyms to make money.

Currently Tiger Muay Thai has around 200 paying guests, and during high season they can go up to 400 per month. Even though TMT is a huge gym, if everyone who paid monthly actually showed up to each class, it would be a madhouse and there wouldn't be enough trainers, bags to kick, or even room to stand. So luckily for TMT there is Patong, where training goes to die. Although I'm sure the owners of Tiger didn't plan it, Patong makes them money.

Guys who paid for 3 months of training will go drinking over the weekend, hook up with some local Thai Bar girls and end up missing half of their classes the next week. Some will just stop coming to train all together, while others will crash their motorbikes and not be able to train even if they wanted to. Guys who saved up to stay out here for 6 months often blow their money in two and have to go home to work just to come back and do it all over again.

So that's the secret behind why Phuket, Thailand is going to be the next MMA Gym Farm. If you're one of the mature, focused smart ones, you can enjoy great weather, nice beaches, good cheap food, and a great place to train. For the 80% of the rest of the people who come, you can help support the local bar girls, alcohol and tobacco industry and the gyms who will happily keep your money even though you stopped training weeks ago.

UnderGround Forum >> Beef between War Machine and Tiger MT?

MMA Underground Forums

tigermuaythai tigermuaythai

@warmachine170 do u have an email we can reach u at. #Huerta spent the last year training @tigermuaythai we would love to help u get ready
8 hours ago

@WarMachine170 War Machine
@tigermuaythai if he trained with you guys for a year why would u wanna help me beat him?

tigermuaythai tigermuaythai
@
@WarMachine170 Facebook @rayelbe if u wanna hear the story
2 hours ago

rayelbe Ray Elbe
@
@tigermuaythai @warmachine170 owww...is this fight going down?!
2 hours ago

17 days ago Ignore | Quote | Edit | Warn Admin | Vote Down | Vote Up | Delete Post
RoidsGracie

Anyone got the inside scoop on this?

Back