Tiger Muay Thai, Phuket - Review

antony22

White Belt
Reaction score
Was in Phuket for a holiday and decided to check out Tiger Muay Thai for myself after hearing mixed reviews on the forum. I was only in Phuket for short amount of time and completed two private sessions there for 600 Baht a session.

The training I received there from my trainer was of a very high standard. He payed close attention to every little thing I was doing and pulled me up on it each time I did it.

A lot of people have complained about how crowded the gym is but from what I saw the gym was fairly quiet at this time of the year.

Another common complaint is that the camp is full of foreigners and doesn't provide a true "Thai" experience. I beg to differ, if you are dedicated to improving your Muay Thai this camp provides you with the best facilities and trainers to do so. Despite the abundance of foreigners in the camp I still believe they offer one of the best training teams in Thailand.

I look forward to a longer stay at Tiger Muay Thai in the future.

If you're going at the quietest time of the year and take privates then your right its probably not overcrowed. Otherwise it's pretty shit.

If you're going at the quietest time of the year and take privates then your right its probably not overcrowed. Otherwise it's pretty shit.

Seriously dude. Its not shit. I don't understand why you people can't live without slagging off this gym anytime its mentioned.

I don't know why people knock this camp so much. If you can't prepare for a fight here I honestly don't know where you could. Being surrounded by so many top class trainers every day has surely got to rub off on you in one way or another.

maybe it was just you.

Go watch some of AXelator's fight videos and get back to us. And I know very little, but I think he lives in Thailand now?

But anyways, what he said ^ You paid for privates. Why are you even talking about 'overcrowding'? Also, who was your private with?

Everyone either hates it or loves it.
But seriously, everyone's going to have a different experience and opinion.
I can understand that the gym felt shit to you just like it feels for a lot of people, but it doesn't mean it's a shit gym.

I've been wishing to visit Tiger MT Camp for a while now but after reading this I don't know if I'm better off going somewhere else...if it's so bad though, which one would be good?

Why does everyone get so mad when someone with experience at this gym expresses their displeasure with it? Would you all rather have every thread about every gym full of nothing but the highest praise or would you like to read honest opinions from people who have trained there?

Um.. did you read the OP? It was expressing the fact that he/she enjoyed their time there. Well that cannot stand.. in with the "ITS SHIT" crowd without fail. They all also happen to be well entrenched training at Tigers competition (which are all 100% foreigner gyms by the way, that are also crowded when lots of people go there but with out the benifit of facilities about 6x bigger and 6x the number of trainers.)

Its always the same group of people and they post on all the muay thai related boards.. many of them HAVE NOT even trained there themselves.

So who's mad? some people are desperate to find any chance to slag this gym.

Ok maybe I was a little harsh. It's not shit, but you can do better. I did one MMA class there it was crowded, I can happily say that was shit, 40-30 people to one MMA intructor who only focuses on his one or two favourites.

I ended up being in all four teirs of class. Beginners, Intermediate, expert and fighter. Now the Beginners class is good for learning the basic moves and getting your fitness up, however the level is very low and when I was there (March) it was crowded with 30 odd people there to less than 10 intructors.

Intermediate is much the same, they will teach you the basic moves and a little clinch, only three rounds on the pads, alot of focus on fitness. The level here varies greatly, from beginners to fighters who are not arrogant enough to go into the expert class. Same problem with overcrowding though

Expert class. Now I admit I actually liked this one. The focus is mainly on technique, there was a trainer for every student when I was there, though alot of the time they seemed disinterested in what we were doing. Still only three rounds on pads though. Also I would have been happy with TMT if they let me stay in this class. However I turned up one morning and because I was the only one there they sent me to the Fighter class (I assume they didnt want to hang around to teach one person). Now I wouldnt care so much if they let me return to the expert class the next day, but they didn't, after that I was told to only go to the fighter class.

Fighter class. As you can probably guess from the last paragraph I didn't enjoy this one too much. The problem was here that they expect you to already have the techniques down. I come from a boxing/kickboxing background so my clinchwork was non existent, and my use of knees and elbows and checking kicks and all those things was poor. So I learnt very little in the expert class. They seemed more concerned with just making us work out.

Boxing Class. The Thai style of western boxing is very different from the way I was taught in England. however they have a legit boxing coach (fought Paquiao). The problem is so many beignners and "intermediates" turn up that once again you have overcrowding and they have to teach the basics every time, you never develop.

I will say the facilities were top notch though. My main problem with TMT is the size it's far too big. So big I struggle to remember peoples names, the trainers names, I struggle to get to know people, to get to know the trainers.

As opposed to a smaller gym like Sinbi where I nearly always worked with the same trainer, I knew all the trainers and they knew me (well they thought I was called Jack for the entire 5 months but it's close to my name), got 5 rounds on pads every day and got lots of personal attention. I also found it much easier to make friends due to the much smaller size and the trainers seemed much more enthusiastic about helping me improve as a fighter.

I think that's a fair review based on my experiences. I got home 2 weeks ago. It sucks.

Um.. did you read the OP? It was expressing the fact that he/she enjoyed their time there. Well that cannot stand.. in with the "ITS SHIT" crowd without fail. They all also happen to be well entrenched training at Tigers competition (which are all 100% foreigner gyms by the way, that are also crowded when lots of people go there but with out the benifit of facilities about 6x bigger and 6x the number of trainers.)

Its always the same group of people and they post on all the muay thai related boards.. many of them HAVE NOT even trained there themselves.

Surely I'm in a good position to judge. I spent time at two gyms. I had no bias going to Thailand I was completely impartial. I went to Tiger with high expectations from there website and I didn't enjoy the training as much as I thought I would. Sure it's an ok place to train, but when I'm going to Thailand I want to get the best training I can get out there and you don't ge that at Tiger.

have you visited other gyms outside of Tiger? Why are you so desperate to defend it?

Because I was there for a month and it was shit.

Its shit is a nice vague comment though isn't it.

Was it too crowded.. how did that affect you?

Who was your pad man was he no good why not try another. Is Moo, nazie, goi, gae, yod prathet, songkram, sornpichai, chok chai etc all shit?? .these guys are all exchamps and padmen from other thai gyms, you weren't able to get a good pad round with them 2x a day 6 days a week.. forgive me if i think thats bullshit.

You weren't able to get a good session on the bags while there?.. they have like 80+, there is no shortage.. seems to me thats on you to get a good session on the bags.

Was the new weight facility that you can choose to use or not for no extra charge an inconvinience? Maybe the yoga classes available at no charge were the problem? Maybe the free mma seminars given every couple weeks by visiting fighters or bbj bb's for no charge was the problem.

You didn't like it there. fair enough. It is in no way shit.

I read the OP. I read the replies. I've read many other threads like this and I've personally been attacked whenever I spoke up about my time at Tiger not being the greatest, even when backing my opinion up with personal experience (I've been there twice).

I'm not the kind of guy who gets pissed about a large number of foreigners training at gyms in the south. In fact, I enjoy having other foreigners around and the students at Tiger were extremely nice, and some of them were pretty talented.

And of course they're going to be "entrenched" at a competing gym. If they don't like Tiger, they're going to go somewhere else. They're most likely going to find somewhere they like and stay there.

Anyway, while maybe AXelator's original assessment of Tiger was a bit short, even if he had replaced it with his more recent, hashed-out reply probably would have been met with equal disdain. This is an open forum and you can't rightfully expect every thread about every gym -- especially gyms with a following like Tiger's -- to be full of unbridled praise.

Oh, and for the record, I don't post on any other muay Thai boards.

Its shit is a nice vague comment though isn't it.

Was it too crowded.. how did that affect you?

Who was your pad man was he no good why not try another. Is Moo, nazie, goi, gae, yod prathet, songkram, sornpichai, chok chai etc all shit?? .these guys are all exchamps and padmen from other thai gyms, you weren't able to get a good pad round with them 2x a day 6 days a week.. forgive me if i think thats bullshit.

You weren't able to get a good session on the bags while there?.. they have like 80+, there is no shortage.. seems to me thats on you to get a good session on the bags.

Was the new weight facility that you can choose to use or not for no extra charge an inconvinience? Maybe the yoga classes available at no charge were the problem? Maybe the free mma seminars given every couple weeks by visiting fighters or bbj bb's for no charge was the problem.

You didn't like it there. fair enough. It is in no way shit.

Ok so I write you up a massive review telling you all these things, and how it was while I was there for a month and you ignore it all and say I'm lying about my experience. I think your an idiot why would I lie to make TMT look bad? I would love to have had great training there for a month but it wasn't.

No there weren't enough bags. I tell you my pad round were limited and the pad holders were disinterested ( I would be too if I just had to train shitloads of farang who just want to get fit), you say I'm lying.

I said the facilities were good and I didn't do the yoga class. I didn't go to Thailand to do fucking yoga. Also the seminar they did have on while I was there wasn't free. Phil Baroni wrestling seminar they charged for. They also charged for the BBQ beatdown which luckily I didn't have to pay for because I fought a smoker match on it but by the time I was finished my rib was busted and all the food was gone.

You also ignored my question, have you trained at any other gyms?

Please break down your experience at Tiger second-by-second so that this guy can tell you that you're full of shit.

Surely I'm in a good position to judge. I spent time at two gyms. I had no bias going to Thailand I was completely impartial. I went to Tiger with high expectations from there website and I didn't enjoy the training as much as I thought I would. Sure it's an ok place to train, but when I'm going to Thailand I want to get the best training I can get out there and you don't ge that at Tiger.

have you visited other gyms outside of Tiger? Why are you so desperate to defend it?

We've had this discussion before. Once again. .they would not have sent you to the fighters ring unless you expressed interest in fightings. its not the 'experts' ring its the fighters ring.. if you choose to fight they will send you there regardless of how much tech you know.. they will observe you and they will run you hard on cardio (pads, bags, clinch) to see if you will get killed or if not to prepare you for your fight. Goi, prathet, yod and gae all teach technique still in that program. .there just isn't a technique class per se.. but if you are doing something wrong or they think something will work for you they will show you.

I trained a number of times in the advance class as the only guy there with sometimes 3-5 trainers there.. they didn't send me somewhere else just so they didn't have to hang around. .. even when i've seen nobody in that session the guys still hung around.

They will also not force you into a program.. if you are in advanced and want ot go back to intermediate you can.. no one makes you do anything.. so just like last time i'm struggling to find the problem here.. the big problem that made it shit.

Back