Thoughts on U.S. Gasoline prices?

so would you want a fracking site in your back yard? or miniature earthquakes from the drilling? you seem like a good bloke but you have definitely drunk the kool aide but hey if I was as rich as you probably are from fracking I might defend it to the hilt as well. not in good conscious though. tbh your post reminds me of tobacco companies with all their data, and research showing that smoking not only wasn't bad for you, but good for your health lol. I'm going to PM you years from now when the dallas ft worth metroplex is one big EPA superfund site.

Not only do I have a well in my own "backyard" my parents have a well on their property also. It's not uncommon if you have land outside of inner city in Texas.

Also, I was anti fracking before I got into the industry however I approached it in a form of guilty until proven innocent sort of way because I wanted to justify it to myself before entering into the industry. I learned alot and I also learned that there are people/large groups that will literally manipulate and lie just because they're anti fracking.

You have to understand that this is a for profit business. Do you think Frack companies don't want to be safe? That they don't want to be clean? All that does is put them in position for potential loss of profit. Frack companies want to be clean and safe so they can protect their investment and profit.

There are MANY 3rd party safety companies involved that independently check things to ensure the integrity of the well. If at anytime there is something that doesn't pass inspection, even for a minor thing that would do any harm, it's still a safety shutdown and the crew is cut unable to return until the safety issue is resolved. Anything from lightning in the area which halts production until the storm passes until a cracked casing where there maybe a hairline crack in the 4th layer of concrete, even the hairline crack may only go a few inches down, common sense tells you it will not change the effectiveness of the case but they will literally shutdown an entire job and have the casing replaced which could take a very long time.

They actually have such a hard on for safety that it's getting rather silly. And I'm huge on safety.

I love how people think when you put nasty shit way deep in a hole, it just stays there. hahaha. Medieval levels of stupidity. It's like people think there are a bunch of smooth, inert layers of material deep in the earth, in angelic stasis, and that shit isn't constantly moving around, fracturing, sending things out. It's just, well, goddamn astonishingly stupid. The bill comes due. All pipes leak. Nothing stands still. And those are just the dummies. The people paid to lie, who know better, are much worse.

Not only do I have a well in my own "backyard" my parents have a well on their property also. It's not uncommon if you have land outside of inner city in Texas.

Also, I was anti fracking before I got into the industry however I approached it in a form of guilty until proven innocent sort of way because I wanted to justify it to myself before entering into the industry. I learned alot and I also learned that there are people/large groups that will literally manipulate and lie just because they're anti fracking.

You have to understand that this is a for profit business. Do you think Frack companies don't want to be safe? That they don't want to be clean? All that does is put them in position for potential loss of profit. Frack companies want to be clean and safe so they can protect their investment and profit.

There are MANY 3rd party safety companies involved that independently check things to ensure the integrity of the well. If at anytime there is something that doesn't pass inspection, even for a minor thing that would do any harm, it's still a safety shutdown and the crew is cut unable to return until the safety issue is resolved. Anything from lightning in the area which halts production until the storm passes until a cracked casing where there maybe a hairline crack in the 4th layer of concrete, even the hairline crack may only go a few inches down, common sense tells you it will not change the effectiveness of the case but they will literally shutdown an entire job and have the casing replaced which could take a very long time.

They actually have such a hard on for safety that it's getting rather silly. And I'm huge on safety.

Well you haven't made me a believer, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt for the time being. because I know we need oil, I just hope we don't destroy the environment to get it. the BP oil spill is an example of what I fear most about the fracking phenomenon. and if you don't mind a fracking well that close to your family then well.....to each his own I guess.

I know the world economy is based on oil but with the obscene amount of profit made on selling gasoline you'd think companies like BP wouldn't mind spending big money to ensure things like the deepwater horizon was the safest most fool proof piece of machinery outside of flying something into space. well we'll see, I hope and pray that you turn out to be right, and I turn out to be wrong. That said, sadly history is not in your favor mon ami.

Fracking is harmless, that family's well water was flammable before, you can't prove it wasn't

Methane is a natural occurring gas in the ground. This happens ALL OVER THE WORLD as it is a NATURAL PROCESS. The people showing their water is on fire and blaming fracking is just some tin foil hat wearing liberals. You can light rivers, well water and faucets on fire in places that HAVE NEVER BEEN FRACKED or even remotely close to where fracking has been done.

After 8 years of Bush Foreign diplomacy where subtlety meant bombing the shit out of everything its amusing to see how people react to proper foreign relations

Putin being a dick? Dont put a cowboy hat on and act like a bellicose drunk. Smile nod, sanction his ass and back channel his economy into the ground until he squeals, all while your opponents call you a weak nobody

lol

I'm not stating actual stats but rather an analogy for example purposes. I also stated 50ft for an example, are you telling me that you thought I was being literal about a well only being 50ft deep?

Most people seem to be concerned with what it pumped underground which on average it's 2 miles deep. I'm pointing out that it needs to be looked at from a scaleable perspective. If you poured a gallon of product on the ground, how deep do you think it would go before it was all dispersed and diluted? I would say the obvious is that it would not go through 20ft. of solid soil. You see what I just did there? An example, not literal statement of only drilling 20ft and using just 1 gallon of fluid. Just like 1 gallon wouldn't go past 20ft of soil, neither would 10 gallons go past 200ft of soil, or 100 gallons go past 2,000ft of soil and so on.

Then your analogy is garbage, you call out liberal tin foil hatters while going to the absolute opposite end of the spectrum.

Well depth is not the issue being discussed as the chemicals migrate through improperly poured or damaged casing. And as a vp of logistics I assume you know that in the world of modern shale wells we are talking horizontals. A 2 mile well has a kick off at 1000 meters depending on formation. So a two mile well is only 1km below surface.

But you are right in saying people shouldnt be as concerned about the chemicals being used, as failed casings account for less than 1% of wells in most areas. What people should be concerned about is the astronomical amounts of fresh water being used.

the BP oil spill is an example of what I fear most about the fracking phenomenon.

Erm, you do realize fracing had nothing to do with that well right? It was a failed BOP. Education does wonders to quell fears.

$1.79 for regular in NJ yesterday. Oh so sweet but how long will it last?

It's more a joke about people doing the opposite. Obviously the president has very little to do with gas prices, but when prices returned to pre-recession levels, there were a lot of hacks blaming Obama, saying that it was what he wanted and pushed for, that monetary policy (that they think is set by the president, I guess) was causing it, etc. Gingrich said before the election that gas prices would go to $10 a gallon if Obama were re-elected and that if he were elected, they'd get down to $2.50 a gallon. "Austrian" idiots were predicting $200 a barrel. So now that prices are coming down, people are, with tongue in cheek, praising Obama for it.

no, i mean i will just be blount here, due to my business, i associate with 90% black people. therefore they make up the majority of my facebook friends. they arent saying it tongue in cheek. they are saying it because they believe it.

So no more blaming Obama for gas prices..?

What people should be concerned about is the astronomical amounts of fresh water being used.

Fracking is actually water efficient compared to many alternatives. The water quantities requirements for shale gas production is lower per unit of energy produced than a lot of other choices such as petroleum, coal or nuclear. However, since the water that is needed is used all at once, it gives the perspective that it's a lot, but once used it will provide energy from the well for years to come.

no, i mean i will just be blount here, due to my business, i associate with 90% black people. therefore they make up the majority of my facebook friends. they arent saying it tongue in cheek. they are saying it because they believe it.

:) I guess Republicans are reaping what they've sowed. After spending a ton of energy (and money!) in 2012 to convince people that the president has a major impact on gas prices, they've done the political work of Democrats on the other side. I don't agree with it, but I can't say that I feel sorry for people who are getting hoist with their own petard. The same applies to the deficit of course: The president doesn't have much to do with it being so low now, but he also didn't have much to do with it spiking in Bush's last year (and falling slowly in Obama's first couple of years in office).

The only thing I take out of it is this should've been something sought a long time ago from our politicians but all I heard was we will have to get use to rise prices. Why is it that the idea of a stimulus is so beneficial for the economy but when we have lowering gas prices, Washington's first thought is lets increase the price with a tax? They literally just have to do nothing in order to benefit everyday American's in this scenario and they still choose to fuck it up.

I hear legislation likely won't pass to raise it but the suggest itself disgusts me. I'm saving $100 this month on gas alone and that's decent additional saving for me by the end of the year.

We have premium at like $2 a gallon here, and 56 degree weather yesterday. You bet I had my 66 Chrysler out cruising it up with my 7 mpg!

The Saudi's are more than making up for what Russia isn't selling right now.

They are trying to kill the new born American oil industry, that it also hurts Putin is just a happy coincidence.

This is the Saudi's telling the world that they still control the oil market, and don't really care how low oil goes per barrel. They can afford it, everyone else can't.

I work for an o&g company I'm the it department and this is basically what I was told. My friend was just let go from another o&g company because of this.

Sanctions are not keeping Russia from selling oil and gas. The problem really is simple supply and demand - there is a great deal of supply and demand is down.

The world is slowly coming to grips with what it means when the developed countries get older. Demand falls and disinflation haunts the globe, and all this comes as the eurozone suffers stagnation. Even China is slowing, which has a huge impact on commodity prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back