Thoughts on U.S. Gasoline prices?

i see all these posts on facebook thanking obama for the low prices. yet those same people never blamed him when prices were through the roof for 6 years

They are trolling you. There are several reasons the gas prices are low. Some Obama's fault some not. BLM has been selling of record amounts of oil rights since obama took office, he stopped invading countries in the middle east wholesale, russia messed up, chinese economy is stagnanting due to rampant enviromental catastrophe.. etc

but anyways they knew back then it wasn't entirely his fault because he just took office and gas prices are a lagging indicator of the economy, and the president doesn't have a direct effect on gas prices generally right away. It takes time. There are some times in hsitory where a president will directly effect gas prices through some actions.

It was nice to fill up for less than $50 for the first time in like a decade.

Right?!? I didn't even know what to tell the lady at 7 eleven. I ve been so use to saying $110 on what ever pump. when the nozzle stopped at $67.00 I was taken a back lol

I've been in the Oil and Gas industry for a very long time. The price changes that we're seeing is ALL because of fracking. The price has been driven down by 2 main things.

#1 Because of fracking, more supply is on the market which drives down the price.

#2 Opec no longer has a monopoly due to having to compete with fracking. Therefore they drop their price to try and make fracking unprofitable.

Maybe that's the case. I won't argue with someone in the biz. It's just the conspiracy theorist in me says the prices we are seeing are in place to hurt Putin. But if fracking is giving us higher prices I'll kindly go back to paying $4+Per gallon. Anti fracking is one of the few liberal causes that I whole heartedly support.
Pumping all those chemicals into the ground can't be good for the environment. And being from Detroit and all the toxic waste that was poured into the rouge river don't hold it against me if I don't take big oil's research and declarations that fracking doesn't hurt the environment...yeah says the company making billions off of the practice. while the oil executives/corporate millionaires live far, far, away from fracking sites being set up in middle class folks backyards.

Forgive the rant Texas dude. nothing against you personally. I know how one can be demonized based on ones profession. you like me are just a worker bee. Unless you happen to be an oil exec that posts on sd if that is the case then darn you.

Last edited:
It's most likely because ISIS is selling that shit for pennies on the dollar. Thanks ISIS.

Right before the market crashed in 2008 gasoline was selling at roughly the same rate from a few months ago ($4.00 a gallon). Once it became clear the market wasnt going to recover immediately gasoline per gallon dropped to around $2.50 within the next week.

Main cause of the drop was for the hedge funds got out of the commodity holdings and leveraging. Who up until that point were the largest players in the market here in the States.

Someone clearly with a heavy hand is forcing its price down further. While keeping the speculators out of the market trying to inflate the price.

Right?!? I didn't even know what to tell the lady at 7 eleven. I ve been so use to saying $110 on what ever pump. when the nozzle stopped at $67.00 I was taken a back lol

Jeez, I'm filling up a Durango. You filling up a tank? Anyway good shit, hope it holds out over the winter.

No, its supply and demand. Blah blah blah

Lol - I totally agree with u

??? supply is totally someone deciding how much oil output to have. In this case the saudis are driving it up. I dont think anyone is disputing that.

You can make supply and demand into a conspiracy if you want, but it is still supply and demand.

While fracing has increased production, $100+/barrel oil has more to do with the surplus. Producers went all in on crude because it was so profitable.

OPEC is not dropping their price, they have sold at discounted rates for pretty much ever and have never followed WTI and brent. The drop in price is the markets doing, and since they can be profitable at 4 bucks a barrel they will keep up production with the added bonus of squeezing competitors, aka the shale boom.

OPEC has always been able to throw their weight around due to having a monopoly however because of fracking there is now a surplus and OPEC isn't the only store open for business therefore they have to do something that they're not used to and thats compete. Not only are they trying to compete, they're also trying to bankrupt the competition. They know how much it cost per cubic ton on crude to frack here in the U.S. All of the rules, regulations, and premiums that add up by doing business here. They realize if they can drop the price so low that fracking isn't profitable anymore then they're literally pulling a WalMart scheme in order to drive out smaller companies competition.

It's .85 cents a liter up here in Southern Ontario, it was in the mid 60's when I moved here in 2000, and I never thought I'd see it under 1.00 again once it went over, it was up to 1.35 just a few months ago. I do worry that prolonged decreases in prices will hurt the Tar Sands, it is an environmental catastrophe, but it's almost sadder to imagine that they destroyed so much land for nothing, and they need a certain price per barrel to stay profitable.

Maybe that's the case. I won't argue with someone in the biz. It's just the conspiracy theorist in me says the prices we are seeing are in place to hurt Putin. But if fracking is giving us higher prices I'll kindly go back to paying 4+Per gallon. Anti fracking is one of the few liberal causes that I whole heatedly support.
Pumping all those chemicals into the ground can't be good for the environment. And being from Detroit and all the toxic waste that was poured into the rouge river don't hold it against me if I don't take big oils research and declarations that fracking doesn't hurt the environment...yeah say's the company making billions off of the practice. while the oil executives/corporate millionaires live far, far, away from fracking sites being set up in middle class folks backyards.

Forgive the rant Texas dude. nothing against you personally. I know how one can be demonized based on ones profession. you like me are just a worker bee. Unless you happen to me an oil exec that posts on sd if that is the case then darn you.

Haha, well I am an Oil Exec, just recently promoted to V.P. of Logistics. However, I'd urge you to take an unbiased approach to forming an opinion to fracking. These "chemicals" you speak of, while dangerous, aren't what some people make it out to be.

You'll have to realize the rules and regulations put into place and how they're WELL BEYOND what's needed to keep the environment clean and safe. However, you'll always have hardcore liberals scream otherwise just because that's what they do to stay in the limelight.

Understand that the majority of Frac's happen up to and more than 2 miles under the earth. Not only this, but there are very little "chemicals" pumped into the ground. Over 99% of what is pumped into the Earth is water and silica sand. The other, less than 1% are chemicals. Remember these "chemicals" are pumped between 1.5 and 2 miles deep into the ground. It's not like 50 gallons of chemicals is going to spread out through 50 feet of soil, much less 2 miles of soil.

Another thing about these "chemicals" is that most all of them you can find in common house hold cleaners. You'll also be surprised to hear that a lot of these very same "evil and dangerous chemicals" that liberals warn you of, they're actually wearing those same "evil and dangerous chemicals" on their face while they warn you about it. Makeup such as lipstick, eye shadow, foundation, blush, and mascara all have some of the VERY SAME chemicals that are used in the fracing process. The same "chemicals" that they want to scare you into thinking will kill plants, animals and humans.

*please note that this pic is just art and while some wells are as shallow as 6,000 ft, most are beyond 10,000 ft which is over 2 miles under the ground.

protecting_gwaterjpg.ashx

This is what your average casing looks like.

cemented-well.jpg

See the pipe in the middle? That's where all the pumping happens. Remember anything that is pumped into the ground, it all goes to the bottom of the well, depending on the stage and where they set the plug, but it's all pumped an average of 2 miles under the ground. That being said, if "chemicals" were to leak before it gets that far down, it would have to go through a thick iron pipe, then cement, another thick iron pipe, then cement again, yet another thick iron pipe, even more cement, and another thick iron pipe. Then, if there's anymore "chemicals" left it would have to go through x amount of soil to reach vegetation and/or water.

Do you seriously think that chemicals found in household cleaning items and womens makeup can get through all that, and/or seep through 2 miles of soil and STILL be dangerous to plant/animal and human life?.......

You'd think as soon as a woman puts lipstick on she'd fall dead instantly since that's direct contact..... lol

This is where gas prices should have been all along. They having been making record breaking profits every quarter for the past decade, and now are crying poor. They are still making huge money.

This is where gas prices should have been all along. They having been making record breaking profits every quarter for the past decade, and now are crying poor. They are still making huge money.

Agreed. The fact that oil has been so expensive for so long is somewhat of a travesty. All it took was a little competition and all of a sudden we have a price war and a 50+ percent drop in price. Now that is a little more sane.

Do you seriously think that chemicals found in household cleaning items and womens makeup can get through all that, and/or seep through 2 miles of soil and STILL be dangerous to plant/animal and human life?.......

You'd think as soon as a woman puts lipstick on she'd fall dead instantly since that's direct contact..... lol

I don't know anything about fracking, but if it's true that the chemicals are no different from what you find in household cleaners and make-up, then why aren't people in an uproar over the crap that ends up in our groundwater? I personally believe the fertilizers and weed killers so many of us put on our lawns each year are likely more dangerous than the effects from fracking considering the scale and frequency at which it is done.

Maybe that's the case. I won't argue with someone in the biz. It's just the conspiracy theorist in me says the prices we are seeing are in place to hurt Putin. But if fracking is giving us higher prices I'll kindly go back to paying 4+Per gallon. Anti fracking is one of the few liberal causes that I whole heatedly support.
Pumping all those chemicals into the ground can't be good for the environment. And being from Detroit and all the toxic waste that was poured into the rouge river don't hold it against me if I don't take big oils research and declarations that fracking doesn't hurt the environment...yeah say's the company making billions off of the practice. while the oil executives/corporate millionaires live far, far, away from fracking sites being set up in middle class folks backyards.

Forgive the rant Texas dude. nothing against you personally. I know how one can be demonized based on ones profession. you like me are just a worker bee. Unless you happen to me an oil exec that posts on sd if that is the case then darn you.

Fracking is harmless, that family's well water was flammable before, you can't prove it wasn't

Haha, well I am an Oil Exec, just recently promoted to V.P. of Logistics. However, I'd urge you to take an unbiased approach to forming an opinion to fracking. These "chemicals" you speak of, while dangerous, aren't what some people make it out to be.

You'll have to realize the rules and regulations put into place and how they're WELL BEYOND what's needed to keep the environment clean and safe. However, you'll always have hardcore liberals scream otherwise just because that's what they do to stay in the limelight.

Understand that the majority of Frac's happen up to and more than 2 miles under the earth. Not only this, but there are very little "chemicals" pumped into the ground. Over 99% of what is pumped into the Earth is water and silica sand. The other, less than 1% are chemicals. Remember these "chemicals" are pumped between 1.5 and 2 miles deep into the ground. It's not like 50 gallons of chemicals is going to spread out through 50 feet of soil, much less 2 miles of soil.

Another thing about these "chemicals" is that most all of them you can find in common house hold cleaners. You'll also be surprised to hear that a lot of these very same "evil and dangerous chemicals" that liberals warn you of, they're actually wearing those same "evil and dangerous chemicals" on their face while they warn you about it. Makeup such as lipstick, eye shadow, foundation, blush, and mascara all have some of the VERY SAME chemicals that are used in the fracing process. The same "chemicals" that they want to scare you into thinking will kill plants, animals and humans.

*please note that this pic is just art and while some wells are as shallow as 6,000 ft, most are beyond 10,000 ft which is over 2 miles under the ground.

cemented-well.jpg

See the pipe in the middle? That's where all the pumping happens. Remember anything that is pumped into the ground, it all goes to the bottom of the well, depending on the stage and where they set the plug, but it's all pumped an average of 2 miles under the ground. That being said, if "chemicals" were to leak before it gets that far down, it would have to go through a thick iron pipe, then cement, another thick iron pipe, then cement again, yet another thick iron pipe, even more cement, and another thick iron pipe. Then, if there's anymore "chemicals" left it would have to go through x amount of soil to reach vegetation and/or water.

so would you want a fracking site in your back yard? or miniature earthquakes from the drilling? you seem like a good bloke but you have definitely drunk the kool aide but hey if I was as rich as you probably are from fracking I might defend it to the hilt as well. not in good conscious though. tbh your post reminds me of tobacco companies with all their data, and research showing that smoking not only wasn't bad for you, but good for your health lol. I'm going to PM you years from now when the dallas ft worth metroplex is one big EPA superfund site.

cemented-well.jpg

I am as pro fracing as they come, but your facts and numbers are way off.

For starters its not 50 gallons of chemical. 1000+ Litres of acid to soften the formation before the frac even begins, several m3 of friction reducer during the frac, and several more cubes of gel during sweeps, and that is the most basic of fracturing. Most use many more chemicals than that dependant on formation.

None of this is used in household products, i promise you that.

And migration from the well bore at depths isnt the problem, the problem is incorrectly poured casings not withstanding 10000 psi for prolonged periods during the frac.

It is not nearly as damaging as some will lead you to believe, but its not nearly as safe as others will.

I thought it was due to the slowing world economy and the end of the global commodities boon. Europe is stalled, China is intentionally cooling off, and basically the buyers don't need as much.

I am as pro fracing as they come, but your facts and numbers are way off.

For starters its not 50 gallons of chemical. 1000+ Litres of acid to soften the formation before the frac even begins, several m3 of friction reducer during the frac, and several more cubes of gel during sweeps, and that is the most basic of fracturing. Most use many more chemicals than that dependant on formation.

None of this is used in household products, i promise you that.

And migration from the well bore at depths isnt the problem, the problem is incorrectly poured casings not withstanding 10000 psi for prolonged periods during the frac.

It is not nearly as damaging as some will lead you to believe, but its not nearly as safe as others will.

I'm not stating actual stats but rather an analogy for example purposes. I also stated 50ft for an example, are you telling me that you thought I was being literal about a well only being 50ft deep?

Most people seem to be concerned with what it pumped underground which on average it's 2 miles deep. I'm pointing out that it needs to be looked at from a scaleable perspective. If you poured a gallon of product on the ground, how deep do you think it would go before it was all dispersed and diluted? I would say the obvious is that it would not go through 20ft. of solid soil. You see what I just did there? An example, not literal statement of only drilling 20ft and using just 1 gallon of fluid. Just like 1 gallon wouldn't go past 20ft of soil, neither would 10 gallons go past 200ft of soil, or 100 gallons go past 2,000ft of soil and so on.

Last edited:
Back