thoughts on BJ Penn?

5-5-1 in ufc title fights ... 4-3-1 at lightweight, 1-2 at WW ... 16-9-2 overall record .... if I gave you that record for any fighter, you would say decent ... when you say its BJ Penn, all of a sudden its GOAT talk

Loads of talent, zero heart.

BJ is DONE. He hasn't been the same since he fought GSP (the last time). Hate to say it but he's just looking for one last pay day.

Are you retarded? The guy is already rich

Loads of talent, zero heart.

5-5-1 in ufc title fights ... 4-3-1 at lightweight, 1-2 at WW ... 16-9-2 overall record .... if I gave you that record for any fighter, you would say decent ... when you say its BJ Penn, all of a sudden its GOAT talk

Those are the two most overrated fighter of all time. Yes

Isn't fighter bashing a ban worthy offense ?

How stupid do you have to be to ignore reality and stretch it just to attack a great's accomplishments, get real losers.

Yahoo's a joke

BJ's still in the GOAT discussion

Fuck the haters. They never watched a fight live pre Penn v Edgar II. They look at the record and that's all they see. You have to learn to ignore these kind of people on sherdog.

He was a man who loved to scrap. He was damn good at it too. He is one of only two men to hold belts in more than one division. By the end of his career he will have fought at Featherweight, Lightweight, Welterweight and what could be considered Heavyweight with Lyoto Machida outweighing him 220-191; and BJ kept it a competitive fight.

The man is a fighter and he deserves your respect.

I, for one, truly believe that this is the perfect comeback fight. It's against his biggest rival, in a new weightclass. TUF will give him time to fuel a hatred of the upmost intensity that he will harness into productivity. His training at NU with Aldo will be fantastic for him. He will beat Edgar.

He will replace Aldo as champ when Aldo takes the lightweight strap.

I know the future.

He's great, but could have been greater, but can't stay motivated.

Records don't mean jack when your fighting the best in any class. I think he's the best LW MMA has seen so far. He made small guys enjoyable to watch and saved the LW division. If you ask many fighters and anyone involved in the mma community I'm pretty sure over half of them will say Bj is the Goat

Big fucking deal. It isn't that big of an accomplishment when you're just given title shots left and right. Especially during his time.

He's not even close to top ten

And you are a dumb asshole.

Isn't fighter bashing a ban worthy offense ?

How stupid do you have to be to ignore reality and stretch it just to attack a great's accomplishments, get real losers.

Geez, ease up on the butt hurtery. There's nothing inaccurate about my saying he's phenomenally talented but lacks heart.

If you ask many fighters and anyone involved in the mma community I'm pretty sure over half of them will say Bj is the Goat

You're delusional.

im guessing you are a fight finder mma noob?

You're such a douche...

You get off on calling people "mma noobs"?

When a fighter loses all the time, and people say they are close to being the greatest of all time when there are a lot of fighters with much better careers, they are overrated.

Anytime there was ever a "who's the most overrated fighter of all time? " thread. Bj and Randy would top the list by far, and for good reason.

You realise that fight finder post RESULTS right?

You're such a douche...

You get off on calling people "mma noobs"?

When a fighter loses all the time, and people say they are close to being the greatest of all time when there are a lot of fighters with much better careers, they are overrated.

Anytime there was ever a "who's the most overrated fighter of all time? " thread. Bj and Randy would top the list by far, and for good reason.

You realise that fight finder post RESULTS right?

I absolutely agree. BJ and Randy ARE the two most overrated fighters of all time. BJ has 1 win in 4 fucking years, and it was against a completely shot Matt Hughes that couldn't take a punch anymore.

He has literally been a walking heavy bag in his last 2 fights and yet he still gets people all pumped up like the "motivated BJ" crap is all true.

I absolutely agree. BJ and Randy ARE the two most overrated fighters of all time. BJ has 1 win in 4 fucking years, and it was against a completely shot Matt Hughes that couldn't take a punch anymore.

He has literally been a walking heavy bag in his last 2 fights and yet he still gets people all pumped up like the "motivated BJ" crap is all true.

Penn lost to absolutely elite welterweights. There is no shame in losing to Rory MacDonald at 170lbs. He's a lightweight who took bad advice to leave his division.

It's exciting to see him return to fight people his size.

The fact is BJ returned to lightweight, beat Sherk and held onto the title a second time but then lost twice to Frankie Edgar, an undersized lightweight himself.

He's then challenged guys he shouldn't have such as Rory Mac, and Nick Diaz and looked bad in his losses.

BJ is a legend and there is no doubt about that. But the more he takes stupid fights outside of his weight division, the more it hurts his legacy. He's probably the most iconic lightweight of all time but I doubt he'll retain that title in ten years from now.

i personally think its badass that he stepped up to 170 and fought - sure he got his ass kicked, but it was still pretty badass - thats just me though - i dont put as much faith in win/losing as others - i guess i also dont really care about all time rankings and stuff, i just like to see bad ass people fight

One of the all time greats without trying as hard as the others

Back