This is why elbows should be banned.

Elbows were banned in Pride. All the people saying "no way.it's a fukking fight," ok then lets have stomps and soccer kicks to downed opponents, I mean come on, it's a fukking fight.

AGREED !!! DEFINITELY ban elbows ! ......... from the top rope, that is.

2944959_o.gif

Fedor agrees with you. Tko (cut) endings are frustrating. Especially when the cut fighter is otherwise fresh

That fight and the circumstances were way flukey
The tournament format, a punch that missed (not an elbow thrown), elbows weren't even allowed, glancing elbow, paper skin

I know people love Fedor but you don't tweak rules for crazy flukes

Elbows were banned in Pride. All the people saying "no way.it's a fukking fight," ok then lets have stomps and soccer kicks to downed opponents, I mean come on, it's a fukking fight.

I'd imagine the people using that rationale would appreciate having stomps, elbows and soccer kicks

Jon Jones disagrees, his elbows rarely cause cuts, they just end fights.

True but I guess the point is either it's all ok or none of it is. Elbows are in many ways more dangerous than kicks because the physics behind that amount of blunt force concentrated into the point of the bone of the elbow is lethal. An elbow from top control is no more or less dangerous than kicking downed opponents

Axial load fracture of blunt force to crown parallel to spine carries a lot of risk, knees are considered more dangerous, more weight behind them, stronger muscles driving them

What's this about lethal elbows? Is that just speculation?
Punches have killed plenty. Blunt force to head is not without risks

Ban elbows, allow knees to the head on the ground.

Do not ban elbows but allow knees to down opponents... It will quickly end lame takedown attempt and make people move after failed takedowns...it would truly take some of the advantages wrestlers have...

By far the most damage an elbow can cause is the massive blunt force delivered to the temple from a standing elbow to the side of the head.

Cuts from elbows statistically are mostly insignificant. Jones has been effective with elbows from top position because fighters with dubious submission fighting credentials (Machida) thought it would be fuckin smart to try to play double wrist control guard with the guy with the longest reach in the sport.

The trick to beating Jones on the ground is taking his biggest, and pretty much only significantly developed weapon on the ground away from him by controlling his posture. Jones doesn't have the offensive submission skills to break people down, pass guard, and submit a fresh opponent. He only ever pulls off chokes against gassed or stunned opponents. If someone is able to control his posture, they could sweep or submit him. Jones has suspect tendencies to leave himself open to arm and shoulder locks, esp if he isn't able to posture up.

And if some idiot comes in here with something like "Jones is too strong for someone to control his posture" I will slap the shit out of somebody.

Do not ban elbows but allow knees to down opponents... It will quickly end lame takedown attempt and make people move after failed takedowns...it would truly take some of the advantages wrestlers have...

Ground knees massively favor wrestlers. Good wrestlers are the kings of position work
They're the ones that can put a guy in a position to land many clean ground knees
The anti wrestler notion is ill founded

Elbows aren't even a real factor in MMA. Jon Jones and David Loiseau are the only 2 fighters I can think of off the top of my head that used them enough to make me pay attention.

They actually use elbows to hit with power, not to cut.

The problem is that the camps are training the fighters to graze with elbows just to cut and get a fight stoppage.

How many wrestlers in PRIDE were KO'd by a knee after a bad takedown attempt?

Only knee KO's after bad takedown were Kerr vs Vovchanchyn 1 (which was illegal at the time), Takanori Gomi KOing Ralph Gracie . . .

188738_o.gif

And Ralph Gracie isn't a "wrestler"

Coleman KOing Allan Goes (sorry no gif) and Coleman is the wrestler in that matchup.

Also wrestlers will be able to do this . . .

2hi14qo.jpg

colemanknees.gif

. . . so truthfully, knees on the ground will only help wrestlers. Sucks for you huh?

Back