Jones messes up multiple times = hypocritical

Jones' holier than thou personna

Dana covers UFC ass

Jones still a hero to UFC brass

TS wishes Jones luck

Did that about cover it TS? lol

Bieber 2, this is Bieber 1:
That's a mighty fine summation, over

the ufc was promoting a big jon jones fight. they'll try to move on to promoting the conor fight, the silva fight and the weidman fight. they put jones front and center when it was time. they'll put the next guy front and center now. not sure what was different about this.

I honestly don't think that Jones is that big. The UFC name is much bigger. Vast majority of people have never heard of Jones. Perhaps the UFC did think he had some kind of crossover potential, but it was never gonna happen. The sport is on the way down. It needs to be put in that context.

A lot of it is just circumstance too. Cain got injured before Mexico. They blew that. They simply cannot make stars. I would do exactly what the UFC is doing. It isn't a big deal. They need some strategy to keep things together. It is worth it. lol. Now that I think about it. It is a story. It makes UFC guys relatable. When does a UFC fighter failing a drug test ever make national news? It makes it look like MMA is relevant. A UFC champion doing this is a big deal. Nobody would care if the top lacrosse player did this.

you gunning for a bloody elbow spot, daspy?

you can do it!

In line at ChicFilA and the douchebag cashier is hanging out the window talking to folks.

Damnit, it's all DW's fault.

Sure... but his name and his unarguable SKILL make him impossible to cut him. The problem is the same, and the UFC sure can't be held responsible for his skill.

Why do we need to cut him? Do you watch other sports. They dont cut their athletes for this stuff.

The casuals may not care, but they're not gaining as many new fans with controversy after controversy. They want new fans, not to convert the casuals into hardcore.

wouldn't they want both :rolleyes:

Why do we need to cut him? Do you watch other sports. They dont cut their athletes for this stuff.

The UFC has cut athletes for this stuff, which exemplifies what a tough spot they're in. They're having to make a ton of exceptions because Jones is worth more to them than the rest of their roster.

The UFC has done whatever they can in the past to subdue the grounds a fighter has over them. They wouldn't even give footage for the John Fitch documentary. This is unprecedented, because the UFC does their best to make sure fighters know the brand is bigger than they are.

The casuals may not care, but they're not gaining as many new fans with controversy after controversy. They want new fans, not to convert the casuals into hardcore.

it would be slowing down either way, IMO. they would never be able to keep up the amount of growth/interest that they were producing forever

I think all your examples of how over he is with the public are more examples of how hard the UFC pushed him to be in the spotlight rather than the spotlight wanting him. I think it was largely a failure (non-MMA fans don't talk about Jones in coke-rehab the way they do a Tyson), which, with regards to these drug tests, is a blessing in disguise.

UFC should hire a pro CEO, someone from Coke (!), Nike, Boeing etc. Enough of amateurs like Dana White ruining his own business.

Jones is not bigger than the UFC. They could fire him tomorrow if they wanted.

Back