This is NOT how you get positive reactions to your religious beliefs..

This is bullshit. Tips are optional. Snotty assed servers don't *deserve* a tip just because they dragged their sorry asses out of bed - they earn them. This whole "If you don't tip well, I'm going to spit in your food" mentality is essentially holding the customer ransom, and it betrays an attitude of entitlement that they expect something just for showing up when they are supposed to earn something by doing a good job. Take some damned pride in your work and good tips will likely follow rather than acting as if you deserve tips just for showing up.

If you're some knuckle dragging server who resents it when you don't get a big tip because you carried a few plates and filled up someone's water, go get a job with an hourly rate you like or a good salary and quit your bitching - or accept the possibility that your crap standard of work wasn't worth a tip. Don't take it out on the customer when you don't get the tip you feel you're entitled to, despite it being entirely optional and oftentimes just a sign of gratitude for good service.

(you're welcome OP)

That's a lot of words for, "I'm cheap."

A lot of states allow restaurants to pay sub minimum wage rates to tipped employees. And in general, restaurant staff work their asses off, especially in high volume restaurants. Shit service deserves zero tip but doing a good job and not getting tipped just sucks.

This guy apparently did such a shItty job that the customer was legit concerned for his very soul.

This guy apparently did such a shItty job that the customer was legit concerned for his very soul.
Ok, obviously I wasn't there and don't know. I was just responding to that guy's general sentiment about tipping.

Whoever designed that slip of paper is an over 9000 level troll.

A buddy of mine has business cards that look like that...a folded $100 on the backside. I'm not sure what purpose it serves him, but he gets amusement out of it.

Anyway, if this dude left a proper tip, along with the jesus propaganda, fine. If he used it in place of a monetary tip, d-bag.

However I don't trust that the whole thing isn't a work. This Garret dude is starving for attention and definitely looking to start some SJW movements on his twitter page....very convenient that he took a picture of the tip sitting there under the glass.

He could just be an angry atheist looking to make his way into headlines and throw christians under the bus on his way.

A lot of states allow restaurants to pay sub minimum wage rates to tipped employees. And in general, restaurant staff work their asses off, especially in high volume restaurants. Shit service deserves zero tip but doing a good job and not getting tipped just sucks.

Yeah, but what you people never mention is this:

"The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips.[4] If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any pay period, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate. As of May 2012, the average hourly wage – including tips – for a restaurant employee in the United States that received tip income was $11.82.[5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States

That $2.13 wage has to be topped up to minimum wage if the tips don't put it over minimum wage, according to federal law. So essentially, that "sub minimum wage" sob story is a bunch of BS that people bring up to obfuscate the fact that federal law demands a server be topped up to minimum wage if tips don't put them over.

Essentially, a server signs up for a minimum wage job and that is what they WILL be paid. If you don't want a minimum wage job that has a chance of paying much more based on generous tips, then find another job that pays what you want. There are usually plenty, but they are crap work that no-one wants to do. Servers are not entitled to tips - they earn them. Servers who don't like this should find another line of work.

Yeah, but what you people never mention is this:

"The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips.[4] If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any pay period, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate. As of May 2012, the average hourly wage – including tips – for a restaurant employee in the United States that received tip income was $11.82.[5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States

That $2.13 wage has to be topped up to minimum wage if the tips don't put it over minimum wage, according to federal law. So essentially, that "sub minimum wage" sob story is a bunch of BS that people bring up to obfuscate the fact that federal law demands a server be topped up to minimum wage if tips don't put them over.

Essentially, a server signs up for a minimum wage job and that is what they WILL be paid. If you don't want a minimum wage job that has a chance of paying much more based on generous tips, then find another job that pays what you want. There are usually plenty, but they are crap work that no-one wants to do. Servers are not entitled to tips - they earn them. Servers who don't like this should find another line of work.
What people like you don't mention is that can still be below the state minimum wage.

We get it, you're a cheap ass who doesn't like poor people. One could say it is very much part of the deal that when you go to a restaurant you tip (unless the service was bad). Doing otherwise is against the social contract, yes?

Dick move. Always tip the server unless they do a horrible job.

What people like you don't mention is that can still be below the state minimum wage.

We get it, you're a cheap ass who doesn't like poor people. One could say it is very much part of the deal that when you go to a restaurant you tip (unless the service was bad). Doing otherwise is against the social contract, yes?

Oh, ad-hominem attacks! Way to argue there. You think I kick my cat too? Maybe I smack little children as I walk by? Egad, I'm probably a Republican - ICK!

Actually, I think my post was pretty damned clear - the part I quoted specifically mentions federal minimum wage, not state, so I wasn't attempting to hide anything. Essentially, if you're a server, you know you get guaranteed a federal minimum wage with a chance for much more through tips - that's it. Don't like it? Maybe that job isn't for you.

The thing is, tipping is a social convention. Most restaurants have policies for large groups having a certain level of gratuity added to the bill, and I'm sure the leeches of society *expect* it to be given, but if I walk into my average restaurant and order a sandwich? There is zero actual obligation for me to leave a dime past my billed total. You referencing the "social contract" as if it's some literal contract with dollars and cents down on it, and applied in very precise terms to something as trivial as tipping servers, shows a rank misunderstanding of how binding the "social contract" is. Tipping is much more social courtesy than social contract.

And for the record, I tend to tip damned well when the service is adequate to good... I remember the last time I walked into my regular pub and after going immediately to the washroom, my usual beer was waiting on my usual table for me before I had even ordered it - 50% tip right there, because that server earned it. I'm more than happy to leave a few dimes on the table if the service as bad. Boom - real social justice in action.

Still trying to figure out why we should give even a modicum of shit about this?

Don't like your shit paying jerb? Get another jerb you grubby, tax cheating, skill-less cretin ROFL.

That guy should make his own $100 fake bill, write some clever shit on it and slip it to that church as a donation.

Still trying to figure out why we should give even a modicum of shit about this?

Don't like your shit paying jerb? Get another jerb you grubby, tax cheating, skill-less cretin ROFL.

I feel like you're not really on my side.

Eatheist and Breakitdown, the two friends that everyone has but are embarrassed to dine out with :)

Eatheist and Breakitdown, the two friends that everyone has but are embarrassed to dine out with :)

You kidding? People usually ask me to handle the tip because I'm the only one with the figurative balls to tip badly when we get crap service.

Translation: "Leaving a $3 tip for my Grand Slam @ Ihop makes me feel like a big shot/not cheap"

Really showcasing your spending power here.

Gruesome, lmfao.

The Grand Slam is a Denny's item, you petulant young man.

You kidding? People usually ask me to handle the tip because I'm the only one with the figurative balls to tip badly when we get crap service.

That does take a lot of courage.

Seriously though, I believe tips should reflect quality of service, but it's pretty rare that I've encountered poor service. When I have, I've talked to the manager.

Lmao @ this idiot acting like knowing this is something to be proud of. It's hard to keep up with the shit plates at shitty diners when you're eating at Michelin star restaurants.

Textbook server counter argument. Essentially translates to: "I have no counter argument".

I routinely dine at establishments where a meal costs more than what you and your server friends make in a month. I observe cultural norms and tip huge on these occasions. What I don't like is the nauseating sense of entitlement you and your grubby tax cheating friends have adopted in the 21st century. It's is both gruesome and laughably petty. Disgusting to say the least.

The fact that you know this should signify to everyone that we're on different levels here. I am not familiar with the menus at shit-tier eateries.

Back