Things that are normal but shouldnt be.

Saw a thread in the grappling forum about the amount Of Veterans that are killing themselves daily.

and though I was one of those kids that was kinda brainwashed by GI JOE, Chuck Norris, and the whole Rambo, Commando thing. And eagerly Joined and Asked for the Infantry. I know that wars fought by generally poor schmoes is unnatural...and I know that might come off as odd (for lack of a better term.)

Though I'm pro military...I hate war.

I use to think that since human history is one violent episode after another that conflict, war, killing is normal.

But I think with guys that actually go fight wars(ground combat) from The Romans to modern day conflicts that actually see the blood, and guts, and brains, and burnt up corpses...it's not "natural". And by natural I mean I don't think the good lord meant for the human brain/psyche to see other humans mutilated in such grotesque fashions and its obviously hard for even "tough guys" to process and live the rest of their lives with the images seared into their memories..

am I off I with this POV?

feel free to chime in with what ever else is considered "normal" but shouldn't be in your opinion.

I don't have any statistics on who commits suicide and why. Are suicides higher among combat veterans than the general population?

I have known several people who killed themselves. None were ever involved in combat. One after he broke up with his girlfriend in high school. Another when his parents grounded him. Another that had no apparent reason. All of these were teenage boys who never saw combat. I know many combat veterans but none that killed themselves and many of these were drafted during the Korean and Vietnam wars. I don't recall hearing of many WWI and WWII vets killing themselves.

The recent veteran suicides that I've heard of locally seemed to be those who couldn't find a good job when they left the service and illegal drugs seemed to play a part. They don't report suicides so unless the parents say something the only thing to suggest it is an obituary of a younger person with no mention of cause of death.

i work with autistic children and yound adults. my version of normal is so far from what it was a few years ago i do not even know how to answer this thread.

I don't have any statistics on who commits suicide and why. Are suicides higher among combat veterans than the general population?

I have known several people who killed themselves. None were ever involved in combat. One after he broke up with his girlfriend in high school. Another when his parents grounded him. Another that had no apparent reason. All of these were teenage boys who never saw combat. I know many combat veterans but none that killed themselves and many of these were drafted during the Korean and Vietnam wars. I don't recall hearing of many WWI and WWII vets killing themselves.

The recent veteran suicides that I've heard of locally seemed to be those who couldn't find a good job when they left the service and illegal drugs seemed to play a part. They don't report suicides so unless the parents say something the only thing to suggest it is an obituary of a younger person with no mention of cause of death.

I guess man

suicide is something I've never experienced in my family or with any of my friends. the one thing I have noticed is that when discussing the topic with friends, or strangers, many if not all say the thought has crossed their mind during times of duress.

i work with autistic children and young adults. my version of normal is so far from what it was a few years ago i do not even know how to answer this thread.

I hope that means that the thread is I guess....thought provoking. After reading Overpressure's post and re reading the Op...... I guess I didn't know what I was really asking or stating...shit now i'm confused.

Saw a thread in the grappling forum about the amount Of Veterans that are killing themselves daily.

and though I was one of those kids that was kinda brainwashed by GI JOE, Chuck Norris, and the whole Rambo, Commando thing. And eagerly Joined and Asked for the Infantry. I know that wars fought by generally poor schmoes is unnatural...and I know that might come off as odd (for lack of a better term.)

Though I'm pro military...I hate war.

I use to think that since human history is one violent episode after another that conflict, war, killing is normal.

But I think with guys that actually go fight wars(ground combat) from The Romans to modern day conflicts that actually see the blood, and guts, and brains, and burnt up corpses...it's not "natural". And by natural I mean I don't think the good lord meant for the human brain/psyche to see other humans mutilated in such grotesque fashions and its obviously hard for even "tough guys" to process and live the rest of their lives with the images seared into their memories..

am I off I with this POV?

feel free to chime in with what ever else is considered "normal" but shouldn't be in your opinion.
the concept is just bizarre, its just weird to try to kill someone you don't hate because someone is ordering you to. so you have both sides of people fighting who really have nothing against each other but are doing the worst thing possible which is try to end each others life and you have both sides of families worrying like crazy about them dying...all because the leaders can't agree of communicate with each other

the concept is just bizarre, its just weird to try to kill someone you don't hate because someone is ordering you to. so you have both sides of people fighting who really have nothing against each other but are doing the worst thing possible which is try to end each others life and you have both sides of families worrying like crazy about them dying...all because the leaders can't agree of communicate with each other

Governments need conflict to rise to power and hold it.

And to add the elite almost never send their kids to war.

I remember seeing a History channel documentary on WW 1 where a Group of Germans, and a group of Americans actually stopped fighting, came out of their trenches and played a soccer game... then they were ordered to start fighting again and both sides were looking at each other like why?

shieet i dont know ... im gonna take a wild guess on this one .... materialism and capitalism ?
yeeaahh , i know im not that far off

And to add the elite almost never send their kids to war.

I remember seeing a History channel documentary on WW 1 where a Group of Germans, and a group of Americans actually stopped fighting, came out of their trenches and played a soccer game... then they were ordered to start fighting again and both sides were looking at each other like why?
haha do you remember what documentary it was? would love to see that

Yeah i don't think it's normal and will take a certain type of person or God's protection for it not to effect you.

Biblical speaking that was the reason why David was not allowed to build the temple. In 1 Chronicles 28:3 it says:

"But God said unto me, Thou shalt not build an house for my name, because thou hast been a man of war, and hast shed blood. "
Every single person that i've talked to that have killed people in battle have told me its effected them, some handle it better than others. Most live productive lives and you would never know if they didn't tell you some of the problems they've had- others i've known have snapped...kinda sad to see as these war vets go from a killing machine and thrown right back into civilian life and are suppose to live life like normal again with no real mediation in between.

don't know how I missed that passage all these years. I thought David didn't get to build the temple because of the whole bathsheeba, Uriah affair. now I know and knowing is half the battle......wait see how deep the brainwashing, and unconscious subliminal conditioning goes?

Seeing naked chicks.

That shit should be hard to come by unless it's the chick you're with at the time. The internet desensitizes us to something that used to be a sight to behold.

Back