Rewatch Thiago Alves vs Josh Koscheck

Always pulled for Alves. Well, other than when he fought GSP. The man was built like a fire hydrant and does not get near amount of respect he deserves.

Good fight. Alves’s TDD was impressive and Josh couldn’t get anything going.

Koscheck also gave Hendricks a very good battle. Some think he should've won the decision. After that, he fell apart. He was around 35 at the time and I guess he just had one more great performance. Many other WW and MWs did the same thing: Ellenberger, Woodley, Lawler, Weidman, Rockhold, etc. Went from prime to a losing streak after one fight.
Koscheck's eye always seemed to bother him after GSP shredded him with the jab. Never seemed to be the same after that, hesitant, touching at it.

GSP continuing to win rounds against a monster like Alves with an injured groin is really impressive.

Alves' style holds up to the modern game, if he lost some size and could have been a division lower in today's ufc, he be a big threat.

The good ol' days where Rogan would cream his pants on every time a leg kick lands. He really did have unnecessary amount of muscle for his height though - I think many of the early guys would have too much show/bodybuilding muscles that led them being in the wrong weight class.

Koscheck's eye always seemed to bother him after GSP shredded him with the jab. Never seemed to be the same after that, hesitant, touching at it.

GSP continuing to win rounds against a monster like Alves with an injured groin is really impressive.

Alves' style holds up to the modern game, if he lost some size and could have been a division lower in today's ufc, he be a big threat.
155 didn’t work out for him

Fighters cut more weight back then; I don't have any Welterweights from today who have cut more weight than those from GSP's era.

Top 3 weight cuts from WW:
And don’t forget tibau. He was the same weight and cut all the way to 155

Alves was the only guy who could get up from George's multiple takedown and get on top of him, if only he was taller.
To be honest though he never really looked like he was a threat to GSP.

I feel that fight did kind of show you the levels in striking same as GSP/Kos 2, WW I think tended to be a division you could get away with more of a brawling style against alot of people but not against George.

Last edited:
To be honest though he never really looked like he was a threat to GSP though.

I feel that fight did kind of show you the levels in striking same as GSP/Kos 2, WW I think tended to be a division you could get away with more of a brawling style against alot of people but not against George.
Kos' entire gameplan in his second fight with GSP was "I'll just go for the big KO shot because I have heavy hands and GSP's has been KO'd once before." GSP jabbed him to death while Kos waited for that one big haymaker opportunity that never came. I believe he took down GSP in their first fight and maybe early in the second fight (one of the few who took down prime GSP). I don't think Kos would win with a wrestling-heavy gameplan either, but at least he would've spared his eye and he probably wouldn't have been dominated as badly.

Kos' entire gameplan in his second fight with GSP was "I'll just go for the big KO shot because I have heavy hands and GSP's has been KO'd once before." GSP jabbed him to death while Kos waited for that one big haymaker opportunity that never came. I believe he took down GSP in their first fight and maybe early in the second fight (one of the few who took down prime GSP). I don't think Kos would win with a wrestling-heavy gameplan either, but at least he would've spared his eye and he probably wouldn't have been dominated as badly.
I think there ended up being a big divide between GSP and pretty much everyone else in that era in terms of striking, nobody else had a jab or general timing nearly as good.

Reactions: mkt
Back