Rewatch Thiago Alves vs Josh Koscheck

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Good fight. Josh took the fight on short notice. You can hear Goldie and Rogan say that the original fight was Alves vs Diego. Man that would have a murder.

Prime Alves was a beast. But he kinda fell into a bad place after getting beat by GSP, followed by brain surgery.

But his way up to his title shot, was amazing.

One of my OG favourite UFC fighters

Alves footwork to deliver his low kicks was on point.

From memory, I thought that Alves was often unaware of his cage positioning (GSP) which affected his game.

Consider that Fitch (Koscheck's training partner at AKA and another wrestler) beat Alves twice, I wonder how this would've gone if Josh had a full camp? It's still an impressive win for Alves. Prime Alves vs. Ian Garry would be an interesting fight. Ian would have his usual height/reach advantage, but if Alves could connect some of those kicks to those long, toothpick legs...I don't know long Ian could remain mobile.

Murder Diego ?! At the time? Hell no.

<bringit>

Win a decision on leg kicks, hell yes.

Alves had a short period where he peaked extremely high. Some of the best striking in the game, great TDD and very explosive. He was never the same again after losing to gsp, having brain surgery and battling constant injuries

Back