Rewatch Thiago Alves vs Josh Koscheck

Consider that Fitch (Koscheck's training partner at AKA and another wrestler) beat Alves twice, I wonder how this would've gone if Josh had a full camp? It's still an impressive win for Alves. Prime Alves vs. Ian Garry would be an interesting fight. Ian would have his usual height/reach advantage, but if Alves could connect some of those kicks to those long, toothpick legs...I don't know long Ian could remain mobile.
Fitch fought him when he was green. Then Alves peaked really high and was probably the #2 WW. When he fought Fitch the second time it was after his brain surgery and he was noticeably in terrible shape

Last edited:
I remember this fight. I don’t recall it being this awesome when it happened due to other big shots making bigger waves. Thanks for the reminder. GSP had the best opponents and out matched out of all fighters.

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpeg
    IMG_0294.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 1
Back then welterweights were 5'6 - 5'9 the same average height as featherweight today, a 5'10 is considered huge, welterweights nowadays are 5'11 minimum.
I remember Rogan mentioning how big Alves was when they were doing the intros in the GSP fight. He said he would walk around at least 200 pounds or something.

Guys were much shorter back then probably cause they didn't cut as much weight.

Alves footwork to deliver his low kicks was on point.

From memory, I thought that Alves was often unaware of his cage positioning (GSP) which affected his game.

Alves footwork to deliver his low kicks was on point.

From memory, I thought that Alves was often unaware of his cage positioning (GSP) which affected his game.

Yeah. Prime Alves had two weaknesses. Being to big for the weight class. And defensive foot work when having his back to the cage.

Fact: Jim Miller beat Thiago Alves and lost to Diego Sanchez in the same year.

(And it was one of Diego's non-robbery wins too.)
Alves vs Koscheck was in 2008, his fight with Miller took place 8 years later in 2016, what are you talking about?

I forgot about this guy, he was very good, yet GSP dominated him like he did with everyone else in his title run except Hendricks
Koscheck also gave Hendricks a very good battle. Some think he should've won the decision. After that, he fell apart. He was around 35 at the time and I guess he just had one more great performance. Many other WW and MWs did the same thing: Ellenberger, Woodley, Lawler, Weidman, Rockhold, etc. Went from prime to a losing streak after one fight.

I wanted to see some combination of Alves, Paul Daley and WW Rumble when all were active around the same time. All would've been good striking wars. Of course Rumble would squash the others like a grape if there were no weight cuts, but 170-pound Rumble was always a wild card.

Back