The Viral Video Star Who Trains Conor McGregor Behind the Fitness Fad That May Replace CrossFit

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks like UFC fighters put this movement training on the map, shit is about to blow up man, I wonder if Dana White and WME will try to cut a deal with this dude and open up some movement courses at the UFC gyms?

Ido Portal teaches famous athletes how to use their bodies in entirely new ways. But is it all snake oil?

Bro, what kind of muscles you have?” asks Ido Portal in a short video introducing his philosophy. He’s barefoot and shirtless, his long hair pulled back as he tumbles across the frame and does handstand push-ups in the rain. “No—bro, what kind of patterns you have? Can you flip? Can you invert? Can you crawl?”

The 48-year-old Ido Portal has spent the past three decades honing a physical credo and method that’s now practiced by thousands of people all over the world—from office workers, to former CrossFitters, to NBA players, to the ever-controversial UFC titan Conor McGregor. Known as The Ido Portal Method, or simply “movement,” his approach purports to take the “most potent” parts from a range of physical disciplines by shedding the dogmas that often accompany them. As he puts it: “I want the contents, not the container.”

Videos of Portal in motion began circulating in certain physical circles in the mid-2000s—entrancing clips in which he flows along the floor like liquid, playfully combining capoeira-inspired flips, hand-balancing, and animalistic movements. But it’s only in the past few years (in no small part thanks to McGregor’s influence) that his profile has exploded, his following has expanded, and his business has revved up.

Star athletes reportedly pay Portal six-figure sums for two weeks of in-person training. He spent chunks of the past year doing “movement design” (something akin to choreography) for a multi-million dollar Bollywood film, and is set to star in a mini-series in which he works with elite athletes in sports ranging from surfing to fighting. (Some of his closest students have landed similarly glitzy gigs, with two recently serving as advisers to the current season of Israeli Ninja Warrior.) Portal has been called a “guru” and a “movement master” more times than I can count; one interviewer even called him “the smartest man in the world.” But the question—hotly debated on Reddit and on MMA blogs—endures: Is there value in the movement, or is Portal simply slinging snake oil?

Full story
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/08/ido-portal-the-player/566687/

I can’t see how being efficient in strange positions would be bad for an athlete. Snake oil? Doubtful. End all be all program? Doubtful.

Had to read that title a couple times before figuring out I don't care.

Is this more of that touch-butt stuff?

Count me out.

Weird touch butt in the park workouts replacing Crossfit? I think not buddeh! Now GTFOH...

"I am not impressed"
-Edmond
edmond-tarverdyan.jpg

Maybe Conor should just stick with proven cardio techniques as he's gassed a few times in his competitions.

Eddie bravo says the best base for bjj is breakdancing and this sort of looks like arythmic breakdancing.
There must be something to it, the problem is that fitness fads behave similarly to cults and apple-fans

"Known as The Ido Portal Method, or simply 'touch butt'..."

Thats how this reporter could have made this piece epic. Missed opportunity here.

This is for the most part snake oil bullshit propelled to the mainstream by one celebrity athletes momentary interest in it.

It’s a unique way of thinking about how athletes move but that doesn’t mean it’s practical or even effective. Even if it was it isn’t necessary to blow it up into this phenomenon.

I don’t really know much about it other than the goofy shit I see. Conor walking around like a gorilla and moving around pretentiously like he’s Neo learning how to use the matrix.

Like seriously, what the fuck is the idea behind it? Move nicer? More effectively? Well duh, that’s what litteraly everyone who does anything tries to do with their skill set. Boxers, Olympic lifters, guitar players etc all work on and perfect their form.

Observe how animals move? Cool, athletes have been doing that. Roy Jones and Kobe have both talked about it.

But that’s more like a small cue than a revolution in training philosophy. Like walking around like a gorilla is really going to help your jab.

On top of it all Ido Portal comes across as a bullshitter. He has all the familiar symptoms. Pretensious, weird wannabe philosophical and wise personality, stupid hair cut, being called a guru.

The guy gives off depock chopra and yoga instructor who fucks people’s wives vibes.

Heard it here first, touch butt in the park is the new Crossfit, taking over!!!

Back