The UFC are missing one thing that almost every sport has.

I'd rather they'd have an open weight class night

Why? You really want to see JDS beat the living shit out of a bantamweight? The UFC would be back in the dark ages pretty damn quick.

Can we call it the Whitebowl?

I was thinking more along the lines of Bob Costas. Every sport has Bob Costas.

title fights are mma's "superbowl". they might not seem like they are because football etc are much more established sports but the title fights are the pinnacle of combat sports. does boxing do heavyweight tourney's? no they do title fights.

New Years card functions as such. It just doesn't have a marketable name attached to it. It's just a UFC# card but those cards are great.

Totally agree with you, about all other sports having their "Superbowls, or World Series, or Staley Cup finals ect.

A one night tourney would be cool, but the chances of someone not being abel to fight a second fight is too high. I mean Strikeforce's HW tourney was what over 6 months and how many dudes pulled out? Did that tournament ever even finish? :redface:

Here's an idea, Maybe once a year do an Event where there's 3 titles fights on the same Card that would do the job. The poster would have 6 people all Champions and Title Contenders on it. Now that would be cool. HW title fight, LHW title fight, and MW all on one card? o.0

Or just pick any 3 weight divisions that can be scheduled easily for this event. It would still be awesome.

I sware theres sherdoggers who just go on threads looking to be a smartass. I haven't heard anybody say anything about a halftime show that will make the winner fighter RECOVER.

The tried and tested recipe for a four-man, one-night tournament, is to have the first round
> followed by other fights, allowing time for the finalists to recover,
> followed by the finals.

why would they need a half-time show? and why would anyone care about it?

Notice that all those sports are team sports.
We already have tons of unofficial tournaments.

Remember the last big official tournament in MMA? It was a big mess and we didn't get the match ups we wanted.

Are you stupid? i remember boxing, the closest sport to mma, doing this every year as well...oh wait

UFC doesn't need a gimmick to sell PPVs.

don't kid yourself. the ufc is still new in comparison to the sports OP mentioned and in all honesty has the least loyal fanbase. most of that has to do with the fact that there simply isn't enough free events. 3/4 of the people i know that watched when it was ufc 1-100 are infrequent viewers at best these days but seem to have no issue finding time to watch the mainstream sports.
i personally am still into fighting but i think that it is going to top out and will never reach the popularity of the big recognized sports.

Are you stupid? i remember boxing, the closest sport to mma, doing this every year as well...oh wait

Boxing isn't that close to MMA in this respect.

Boxing doesn't have all the top talent under contract to one person.
WWE is much more comparable in this situation.

They may have PPVs and title matches all year, but they still manage to make Wrestlemania special and leave no doubt that it's their premiere event.

I'm assuming when it gets to UFC 200, it will look like UFC 100 in terms of how stacked it was

Does that count?

Open-weight tournament is the correct answer

Athletic comissions only allow fighter to fight for 25 minutes in a single night.
2 3-rounders would already be 30 minutes.
So until UFC negotiates for a small change in unified mma rules (or whatever they are called) there won't be even 4-men tournaments.

one thing the UFC has that every other sport doesnt have is that its year round...

that>>>

Can't they still have one-night tourneys, but only for a total of 6 rounds per fighter?

So 2 for the opening round + 3 for the final is enough.

Which allows for one must win round in the case of a draw.

I sware theres sherdoggers who just go on threads looking to be a smartass. I haven't heard anybody say anything about a halftime show that will make the winner fighter RECOVER.

Eh? Each one night tournament was like that. You only gave it different name. The bouts were always did that way the fighters had some time to recover because there were three other filler fights in between tournament fights.

Back