The UFC are missing one thing that almost every sport has.

MMA is an individual sport, unlike football, basketball, soccer, baseball, which are team sports with a bench.

Also, unlike other individual sports, like tennis, track, triatheletes, etc....MMA is a full contact combat sport.

One night tournments don't work in other individual sports, what makes you think it would work in MMA. I know they used to exist, but for the health of the fighters, they no longer do.

Your analogy if very inadequate, IMHO.

Just do a end of the year show like Pride Shockwave. That tournament idea will kill it. You have many future main events on that one tournament and in one night alone, will kill the HW division of fights. I consider UFC 155 a good end of the year card

A special event that they will have every year such as Superbowl, World Series, NBA Finals, World Cup (thats every 4 years though), hell even WrestleMania, etc.

There's a lot of people who don't watch Football, Basketball, or Soccer but when the Superbowl, World Cup, and NBA Finals come around all of a sudden everyones a fan. And thats what the UFC also needs.

So I have an Idea for a special event each year for the UFC that people will want and pay to see.

A UFC Tournament.

EXAMPLE
HW Tournament Cain Velasquez vs. Alistair Overeem

HW Tournament Junior Dos Santos vs. Daniel Cormier

LW Tournament Anthony Pettis vs. Gilbert Melendez

LW Tournament Ben Henderson vs. Donald Cerrone

HALFTIME (To let the winner fighter recover a bit)

During halftime theres a half time show, people singing, commericials like the Superbowl, etc

Tournament Finals

Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem

Ben Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez

Junior Dos Santos HW Tourney winner

Ben Henderson LW Tourney winner

For all who say the Athletic Commission won't sanction this...why not? Usually when a fighter wins, theyre ready to go again. Examples? Dos Santos vs. Cain 1, Overeem vs. Brett Rogers, and Cain vs. Big Foot.

But lets say for some reason the winner fighter can't fight the 2nd fight, then the UFC should have replacements warming up in the backroom.

The UFC needs a event like this once a year in my opinion.

What do you guys think about this idea?

You must be new to MMA or are a troll.

less rounds as mentioned above, shit or get off the pot.

Two split "open weights"

155-185(should be allowable as 185 is 171-185 right? how many 155's don't weigh 171 before cut that would enter anyway)
185-hw(same here hw is 206 and up?)

eliminations are 1 roundX3 or 2 rounds x1 depending on entrant numbers?
finlas are 2 0r 3 rounds?

Either way, make it add up to 5 rounds, which is how many a title fight is anyway, this is same rounds, just against more fighters??

enter which ever you choose if you choose to do so

great idea but I'm pretty sure it can't happen due to rules on the commissions have now.

non of the sports you listed are combat sports. and dont even try to say the wwe is a combat sport.

boxing
kickboxing
thai boxing

non of them have a big annual event. fair enough that there used to be k1 tournaments but it wasn't a big annual event, it was more about what made sense at the time. and tbf the ufc has spoke about having a big annual event but its tricky in mma. if you were to scheduled a big card for 1 specific moment, that means the cards before and after for the next couple of months at least will be effected and then people would complain about that more than they would complain about not having a major annual event.

and the big point that you fail to think about TS.. is that so many people like mma because its NOT like other sports which have these big annual events.

can we restart this thread without the idea of a fighter compteting more than once in one night? its never gonna happen, so lets let it go.

but a huge ppv once a year would be great.. a minimum of two titles on the line type of thing.. and where they put on like 18 fights or something. it would be the shiznit

I'd like to see a tournament for all non-ufc fighters, fighters from other orgs, held in Japan once year.

The winner gets to come into the UFC. It should be held under the PRIDE banner too. Would be awesome.

I agree the UFC would benefit from having an "extravaganza" event once a year. The idea of having multiple fights in a one night would be cool, but is not realistically going to happen..

Dana White has said several times, that one night tournaments are terrible, and they don't prove who the best is, they are dangerous and he hates them. Dana is so against one night tournaments it is incredible, you will never see them in the ufc.

Judging by the way your second fights are lined up it seems you think Gilbert Melendez would beat Showtime? Incorrect TS.

And a tournament would be awesome but Dana will never ever do it he has some form of grudge against them that imo might have something to do with Rampage KOing Chuck in one scuttling the Liddell- Silva fight

Judging by the way your second fights are lined up it seems you think Gilbert Melendez would beat Showtime? Incorrect TS.

And a tournament would be awesome but Dana will never ever do it he has some form of grudge against them that imo might have something to do with Rampage KOing Chuck in one scuttling the Liddell- Silva fight

I think it was the lightweight tournament that ended up with BJ going to a draw with Caol Uno as a result of some dubious judging.

I see where you're going, but if they were to stack a bunch of high profile fights and title matches on one event and many of the others will suffer.

And no to one night tournements.

I think it was the lightweight tournament that ended up with BJ going to a draw with Caol Uno as a result of some dubious judging.

Probably had a hand in it as well. But I think there is no way Dana will ever have one again

A special event that they will have every year such as Superbowl, World Series, NBA Finals, World Cup (thats every 4 years though), hell even WrestleMania, etc.

There's a lot of people who don't watch Football, Basketball, or Soccer but when the Superbowl, World Cup, and NBA Finals come around all of a sudden everyones a fan. And thats what the UFC also needs.

So I have an Idea for a special event each year for the UFC that people will want and pay to see.

A UFC Tournament.

EXAMPLE
HW Tournament Cain Velasquez vs. Alistair Overeem

HW Tournament Junior Dos Santos vs. Daniel Cormier

LW Tournament Anthony Pettis vs. Gilbert Melendez

LW Tournament Ben Henderson vs. Donald Cerrone

HALFTIME (To let the winner fighter recover a bit)

During halftime theres a half time show, people singing, commericials like the Superbowl, etc

Tournament Finals

Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem

Ben Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez

Junior Dos Santos HW Tourney winner

Ben Henderson LW Tourney winner

For all who say the Athletic Commission won't sanction this...why not? Usually when a fighter wins, theyre ready to go again. Examples? Dos Santos vs. Cain 1, Overeem vs. Brett Rogers, and Cain vs. Big Foot.

But lets say for some reason the winner fighter can't fight the 2nd fight, then the UFC should have replacements warming up in the backroom.

The UFC needs a event like this once a year in my opinion.

What do you guys think about this idea?

You could never get a tourney cleared by a sanctioning body, no way to check up on fighters between fights. Guys already get, usually, at a minimum, 30 day medical suspensions.

Probably had a hand in it as well. But I think there is no way Dana will ever have one again

Aye, probably both of them plus the numerous injury pull-outs from the SEG-era tourneys. He's on record as saying they'll never hold one, but he's not exactly someone that never changes his mind :D

Melendez would not beat Pettis! GTFO.

Dana White has said several times, that one night tournaments are terrible, and they don't prove who the best is, they are dangerous and he hates them. Dana is so against one night tournaments it is incredible, you will never see them in the ufc.

dana is only in favor of what will make him the most money, not what the fans want

he doesn't give a shit about the fans

Back