The UFC are missing one thing that almost every sport has.

Mexican Zombie

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
A special event that they will have every year such as Superbowl, World Series, NBA Finals, World Cup (thats every 4 years though), hell even WrestleMania, etc.

There's a lot of people who don't watch Football, Basketball, or Soccer but when the Superbowl, World Cup, and NBA Finals come around all of a sudden everyones a fan. And thats what the UFC also needs.

So I have an Idea for a special event each year for the UFC that people will want and pay to see.

A UFC Tournament.

EXAMPLE
HW Tournament Cain Velasquez vs. Alistair Overeem

HW Tournament Junior Dos Santos vs. Daniel Cormier

LW Tournament Anthony Pettis vs. Gilbert Melendez

LW Tournament Ben Henderson vs. Donald Cerrone

HALFTIME (To let the winner fighter recover a bit)

During halftime theres a half time show, people singing, commericials like the Superbowl, etc

Tournament Finals

Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem

Ben Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez

Junior Dos Santos HW Tourney winner

Ben Henderson LW Tourney winner

For all who say the Athletic Commission won't sanction this...why not? Usually when a fighter wins, theyre ready to go again. Examples? Dos Santos vs. Cain 1, Overeem vs. Brett Rogers, and Cain vs. Big Foot.

But lets say for some reason the winner fighter can't fight the 2nd fight, then the UFC should have replacements warming up in the backroom.

The UFC needs a event like this once a year in my opinion.

What do you guys think about this idea?

Last edited:
One night tournaments might be fun to watch but they are a stupid idea.

I think Dana announced earlier this year that starting in July they will have this (annually).

Sounds good and all the whole concept of a one night tournament, i'd like to see it but, the whole medical clearences and athletic comissions are there in order to stop this and make the sport legit, even if the idea is good (i like it) there is just no space for it now on the legit mainstream mma we have now.

A UFC Tournament?

incredible, why did nobody think of this before?

Affliction kind of had a half-time show. They had megadeath play at Affliction 1. It garnered some attention from Megadeath fans but I don't know how many PPV's or tickets it sold for them.

I doubt one night tournaments will ever happen in the UFC again. They are doing a big superbowl card the day before superbowl this February. It's pretty stacked and FOX wants to air it for free, and possibly advertise it a lot on FOX also. It could very well end up being a very big deal, and a new North American TV ratings record for MMA broadcasts.

If they advertise it with the Superbowl which is on FOX the next afternoon, it could potentially be huge, and the card is stacked. Too bad Forest-Phil Davis was already scratched from the card.

Thread sucks.

But doesn't the Superbowl card/4th of July card/and New Years card count as special events?

I mean they usually have them pretty stacked

Sounds good and all the whole concept of a one night tournament, i'd like to see it but, the whole medical clearences and athletic comissions are there in order to stop this and make the sport legit, even if the idea is good (i like it) there is just no space for it now on the legit mainstream mma we have now.

But why wouldn't they allow this? When a fighter wins he usually wins without being hurt. If the fight is hurt, put in the replacement. So I think if someone were to explain this to the athletic commission they will sanction it. Wouldn't be easy, but it will happen if they tired.

No. I think they should stay away from fighting twice a night (or more).

It's not fair if the guy is a grappler and has 15 minutes to work a submission. Let's say he goes through his first fight with a sub in the 3rd round after a really heated battle. Both guys are beat up. And his next opponent knocked out his previous opponent in 1 minute.

See? It's just not fair. 1 guy is all beat up and the other guy may be untouched. It's just not fair to declare who is better with these circumstances.

But I do like your idea of the annual event. It sounds interesting and it does give the sports world to take a look at the world of MMA for a night. But it wouldn't be easy to have things fall into place with great fights and fighters. And you must also account for injuries that may occur. It's just not the same stability as Miami Heat vs OKC, or Giants vs Patriots.

The ACs wont sanction this. You could break it up into two events but that's it. Tourneys suck anyway.

A UFC Tournament?

incredible, why did nobody think of this before?

I sware theres sherdoggers who just go on threads looking to be a smartass. I haven't heard anybody say anything about a halftime show that will make the winner fighter RECOVER.

No. I think they should stay away from fighting twice a night (or more).

It's not fair if the guy is a grappler and has 15 minutes to work a submission. Let's say he goes through his first fight with a sub in the 3rd round after a really heated battle. Both guys are beat up. And his next opponent knocked out his previous opponent in 1 minute.

See? It's just not fair. 1 guy is all beat up and the other guy may be untouched. It's just not fair to declare who is better with these circumstances.

Good point.

But why wouldn't they allow this? When a fighter wins he usually wins without being hurt. If the fight is hurt, put in the replacement. So I think if someone were to explain this to the athletic commission they will sanction it. Wouldn't be easy, but it will happen if they tired.

they could if they created a new tournament figure, as you said it wouldnt be easy and besides if the promoter (for example the UFC) had a guy lets say GSP fight 3 times on one night they would probably had to pay him like 20 million bucks with all the bonuses and awards if he wins everything, it sounds like bad business from the money perspective

And replay that the refs can take a look at.

Yeah impossible bro. Usually after a single fight at least one competitor is injured enough by commission standards to not be fighting for months, let alone again in the same night. This is so impossible it is not even worth considering.

Every time Jon Jones or Anderson Silva fights it is a special event.

Tournaments can do too much damage to a fighter should they lose.

Back