The UFC are missing one thing that almost every sport has.

good idea,LW division tournament would be sick

The UFC just needs a new Brock Lesnar to bring in PPVs

not 1 night tournaments, not I'd like to watch 8 man Bellator style tournaments without titleshots on the line. they would make FX and Fuel fights relevant. quarterfinals and semifinals in UFC On FX, UFC On Fuel or PPV/FOX prelims on FX, the finals on PPV/FOX main cards.

for example:

Nurmagomedov vs Volkmann
Khabilov vs Trujillo
Michael Johnson vs Sass
Freakshow vs Colton Smith

One-night tourneys are allowed in California (Strikeforce held one), but I'm no fan of them. Too much risk of injury, plus you can end up with one guy fine and one guy fucked. More for spectacle than for sport.

I don't think the UFC need it, nor do I think more than one fight per night is good idea for the fighters invloved.

I think the best they can do is something like ufc 100, where there were 2 titles being contested and a bit more promotion.

Same day tournaments will never happen in the UFC again but they could do some 8 man tournaments that span a year with the winner getting a title shot.

I don't think 1-night tourneys are the way to do it, but I do agree they need a once a year blowout extravaganza event.

I personally would like to see them dip into their PRIDE resources and revamp Shockwave cards on New Years. Have that one end of the year blowout card, they have the resources and the star power to pull it off.

They had an all heavyweight card just recently i was really really hoping for a super LHW card and a MW card where even the champ fought. Shuffle the ranks

I don't think 1-night tourneys are the way to do it, but I do agree they need a once a year blowout extravaganza event.

same, one big event "wrestlemania" like the TS said, maybe something like all the titles on the line on one night, BJJ world champions doing exibition matches, special contests or something, things that give it more added value and to enjoy being like a showcase for martial arts

same, one big event "wrestlemania" like the TS said, maybe something like all the titles on the line on one night, BJJ world champions doing exibition matches, special contests or something, things that give it more added value and to enjoy being like a showcase for martial arts

I like some of those ideas, but all the belts on one night would suck because then you'd have 3-4 months of no title fights after that. Two title fights on one card, tops, IMO.

Tournaments are great when they work out but more often than not people get injured and it screws everything up. For instance Daniel Cormier won the SF Tournament with two fights.

They should just focus on end of the year event as their big one but they are going to have to give it a name.

But why wouldn't they allow this? When a fighter wins he usually wins without being hurt. If the fight is hurt, put in the replacement. So I think if someone were to explain this to the athletic commission they will sanction it. Wouldn't be easy, but it will happen if they tired.

thats not really true

I like some of those ideas, but all the belts on one night would suck because then you'd have 3-4 months of no title fights after that. Two title fights on one card, tops, IMO.

Agreed. You also wouldn't have any title fights for about 3-4 months leading up to the card. Would be awesome but not really feasible.

I'd rather they'd have an open weight class night

How about a "30 Man TKO or Submission Battle Royal?" Take 30 guys who aren't in the top 10 of their division and the winner immediately shoots to the top and gets a title shot at UFCmania?

Plus, well, UFC 33. Decision central led to the card running over and some PPV providers cutting the broadcast during the main event.

Tournaments are great when they work out but more often than not people get injured and it screws everything up. For instance Daniel Cormier won the SF Tournament with two fights.

They should just focus on end of the year event as their big one but they are going to have to give it a name.

True that. When the UFC had tournaments people constantly dropped out, the worst being Steve Jennum getting into the finals as an alternate.

And what would you do about injuries? Thats one of the big problems with tournaments, injuries happen. Before you say there will be alternates, keep in mind that having alternates will keep them from fighting on other shows, and will guys want to waste their time being on hold if an injury doesn't occur?

The idea of a one night tournament sounds good until you start to think carefully about how to pull it off and what can go wrong.

Back