Economy The U.S Made a Breakthrough Vanadium Redox Flow Battery - Then Gave the Technology to China

This will make @San Marino very happy. He is extremely horny for China.
No mate, I'm against China. I am an American - check my profile. I've been playing 'devil's advocate' this whole time.
I've given 20 years to the US military. I can say what I want about it, good or bad. I'm also a US taxpayer.

Well congress is dysfunctional. So apparently there’s no actual oversight to any of these agencies. Which makes me wonder if they knew they could do this and not get caught? Or if they did get caught there be no actual penalty.

I find this part particularly hilarious:

In this case, it was an American company, Forever Energy, that raised concerns about the license with UniEnergy more than a year ago. Joanne Skievaski said she and others from the company repeatedly warned department officials that the UniEnergy license was not in compliance. In emails NPR has reviewed, department officials told them it was.

"How is it that the national lab did not require U.S. manufacturing?" Skievaski asked. "Not only is it a violation of the license, it's a violation to our country."

But then...

After NPR sent department officials written questions outlining the timeline of events, the federal agency terminated the license with the Chinese company, Dalian Rongke Power Co. Ltd.

"DOE takes America's manufacturing obligations within its contracts extremely seriously," the department said in a written statement. "If DOE determines that a contractor who owns a DOE-funded patent or downstream licensee is in violation of its U.S. manufacturing obligations, DOE will explore all legal remedies."

Clearly the Department of Energy functions the same way that businesses do: when a severe problem is pointed out to them year after year, absolutely nobody cares. But the moment that same problem reached the press, all of a sudden they're on it right away.

The DOE officials that not only let this happened but also ignored the whistle blowers afterwards must be held accountable for their criminal negligence.

No mate, I'm against China. I am an American - check my profile. I've been playing 'devil's advocate' this whole time.
I've given 20 years to the US military. I can say what I want about it, good or bad. I'm also a US taxpayer.
Didn't ask, don't care

If this had happened under a Biden administration you , and many other rightwingers, would be publicizing this as much as possible and claiming the Dems are pro China. BUT this happened when Trump was the President and you still blame Nancy Pelosi, the person who has been critical of the CCP for a long time.

You will always find some way to attack the Dems because to you they are the enemy and it is a zero sum game. Pelosi giving China the middle finger should be lauded but you spin it into another excuse to attack her. You would be lavishing praise if he was a Republican.

You are right. Sadly, you are just as bad as the guy you are calling out. You are just the other side of the political hack coin.

You are right. Sadly, you are just as bad as the guy you are calling out. You are just the other side of the political hack coin.
Nope, because I have given Trump credit for some things.

China is more of a threat with industrial espionage and political meddling than military force.

I find this part particularly hilarious:

In this case, it was an American company, Forever Energy, that raised concerns about the license with UniEnergy more than a year ago. Joanne Skievaski said she and others from the company repeatedly warned department officials that the UniEnergy license was not in compliance. In emails NPR has reviewed, department officials told them it was.

"How is it that the national lab did not require U.S. manufacturing?" Skievaski asked. "Not only is it a violation of the license, it's a violation to our country."

But then...

After NPR sent department officials written questions outlining the timeline of events, the federal agency terminated the license with the Chinese company, Dalian Rongke Power Co. Ltd.

"DOE takes America's manufacturing obligations within its contracts extremely seriously," the department said in a written statement. "If DOE determines that a contractor who owns a DOE-funded patent or downstream licensee is in violation of its U.S. manufacturing obligations, DOE will explore all legal remedies."

Clearly the Department of Energy functions the same way that businesses do: when a severe problem is pointed out to them year after year, absolutely nobody cares. But the moment that same problem reached the press, all of a sudden they're on it right away.

The DOE officials that not only let this happened but also ignored the whistle blowers afterwards must be held accountable for their criminal negligence.
Yeah. Exactly. They acted as though there was no consequences to their actions. People need to be fired from their cushy jobs and black listed from working in the industry again. Taking action and setting a precedent would do wonders

Smart move, now they can buy the finished product from china at 1/10th the price than if it was made in good old usa :D

Also obligatory: fuck china.
Treason. Just pathetic.
The enemy within. They operate unchecked
Well congress is dysfunctional. So apparently there’s no actual oversight to any of these agencies. Which makes me wonder if they knew they could do this and not get caught? Or if they did get caught there be no actual penalty.
The individuals who approved the decision ought to receive the harshest possible penalty for treason (not sure what that is).

They should probably be executed.

People like Nancy Pelosi have been selling this country out to China for profit for 40 years. Now we are about to go to war so she could have one last photo op and a taxpayer funded trip to the indo pacific.

1567089731784.jpg

If this had happened under a Biden administration you , and many other rightwingers, would be publicizing this as much as possible and claiming the Dems are pro China. BUT this happened when Trump was the President and you still blame Nancy Pelosi, the person who has been critical of the CCP for a long time.

She hasn't been critical, lol. She straight up tried to block China's access to the US market, opposed its MFN status, and voted against the PNTR -- tangible policies that played a significant role in enabling the CCP's rise. They're so relevant that DeSantis was still bringing them up decades later in an interview a week ago.

You will always find some way to attack the Dems because to you they are the enemy and it is a zero sum game.

"However political parties may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion." -- Random Breh

Nah, it's actually from the farewell address by the Commander-In-Chief of the Continental Revolutionary Army, the President of the Constitutional Convention, the Father of the United States. He was the first and only man to ever hold the office of POTUS without any formal affiliation to or representation of a political party. The country would've done well to follow his example.

Washington contemplated retiring at the end of his first presidential term in office. However, he set it aside and ran for a second because of heated disputes between Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton and Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson which convinced Washington that the growing tensions would rip apart the country. This included the state of foreign affairs, and divisions between the newly formed Federalist and Democratic-Republican parties.

Semantics. You might as well say George Washington never won the Revolutionary War.

The fucking character of this dude is Greatness Exemplified.

One of Washington's most important contributions as Commander of the Continental Army was to establish the precedent that civilian-elected officials, rather than military officers, possessed ultimate authority over the military. This could have easily been violated by Washington, yet throughout the American Revolutionary War, he deferred to the authority of Congress and state officials, and relinquished his considerable military power once the fighting was over.

20211127-170153.jpg

This makes it sound like the US invented VRFB just recently and then just gave it to China. VRFB was first successfully created in 86 at UNSW in Australia and they had the patent until 2006. Japan has been using them since 2005. It seems the US scientists just improved the tech. (by quite a bit)

There are also currenly companies funding and developing in US, EU, AUS, South Korea, South Africa and Saudi Arabia besides China.

A fridge sized battery to power your house forever with your solar???? Sign me up.

Last edited:
This makes it sound like the US invented VRFB just recently and then just gave it to China. VRFB was first successfully created in 86 at UNSW in Australia and they had the patent until 2006. Japan has been using them since 2005. It seems the US scientists just improved the tech. (by quite a bit)

There are also currenly companies funding and developing in US, EU, AUS, South Korea, South Africa and Saudi Arabia besides China.

A fridge sized battery to power your house forever with your solar???? Sign me up.
I was about to say the same thing in fact flow batteries where tired in cars and where a huge failure. GE tried and failed to develop and commercialize the technology and failed. It's not very energy dense nowhere near the levels of lithium ion and solid state but good for clickbait. There is still research into it because of the cost and material availability iron and salt pretty plentiful and other materials.

nanoFLOWCELL-QUANT-F-electric-vehicle-2.jpg

Infographic_QUANT_p1B0F6F.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds bad but at the same time we have Ambri which is making batteries for grid scale energy storage.

"Department of Energy officials declined NPR's request for an interview to explain how the technology that cost U.S. taxpayers millions of dollars ended up in China"

If they don't want to be interviewed, I say haul all their asses to Washington. The dude who requested the tech transfer to China and knowingly breaking the licensing terms as well.

This is exactly the kind of things that warrants a Congressional hearing, but they are too busy grilling the likes of Google and Facebook.

They are only doing what the administration says
And they have the lithium haha. "We need to stop relying on foreign countries"
EVs are all dependent on China.

Most Lithium is in south america but yeah china gets a supply from them etc

You will always find some way to attack the Dems because to you they are the enemy and it is a zero sum game. Pelosi giving China the middle finger should be lauded but you spin it into another excuse to attack her. You would be lavishing praise if he was a Republican.

This and similar happened under admins from both parties, all the way back to Clinton giving China missile technology - probably farther that that.

The truth in this case is probably that the DOE official was banging another Fan Fan or getting money under the table to turned a blind eye to it.

Don't forget that you still need the solar panels; so to truly go off grid would be 60k+

Back