The truth is Masvidal has no real star power

Why is it that on an MMA forum where people would be fans of MMA, people care about how many non MMA fans know of a fighter or an event or whatever? Does it make a fight more exciting to you as a fan to know that someone who knows nothing about MMA or what they are watching is watching too?

A lot of UFC (not MMA) in particular are the only breed of fan who live vicariously through the company’s marketing directors and shareholders.

Maybe us fans hoping MMA gets the attention it deserves. Then our fighters get paid better and mma is seen as the elite combat sport it is.
Yeah maybe but I think I liked it better when fighters fought the best and defended titles against the next #1 Challenger. Now its all money fights and fake twitter beefs.

The avg person on the street probably has no idea who Conor is either. Let's be real.

Yeah maybe but I think I liked it better when fighters fought the best and defended titles against the next #1 Challenger. Now its all money fights and fake twitter beefs.
That’s why it called prize fighting. The money dictates the fights. Gotta take the good with the bad.

he beat the guy who beat Conor so he has some star power even with casuals imo.
And I think the PPV did well too.
How many PPVs do we have without a title fight main eventing?
Conor v Cowboy and Masvidal v Diaz(forget the BS title)

He needs the casual fans (and the several millions of dollars) fighting Mcgregor would bring, but it ain't happening

Cuban Tupac lol

That’s why it called prize fighting. The money dictates the fights. Gotta take the good with the bad.
I get that the fighters fight to make money. It used to be that being the best and winning the title was how that happened. Now it is not as important, if at all to be the best. Logan Paul vs KSI sold lots of PPV but its a freakshow and not sustainable.

Well, he won the fight that made Canelo wait...people asked Canelo about things Masvidal said post fight...thats some star power, of course he istll isnt anywhere near a big draw, but its getting there, his star power went up a LOT, even if he is still way behind others.

The avg person on the street probably has no idea who Conor is either. Let's be real.
<PlusJuan>

I think Mas upped his profile big time last year, but, yeah, none of my friends or family even really know who Conor is, much less Mas. Again, though, he skyrocketed and is way above the others in terms or recognition right now.

Regular people wouldn't know any of them. Some might know conor but it depends where you're asking.

But I agree about masvidal.

Why would anyone care about this? If he is popular with people that actually watch the sports that’s fine. Conor’s fanbase is the most embarrassing aspect of mma.

To be honest only Conor is really known a lot in my experience

Listen to the op if your in the mood for the fickle and scared whimpering of a guy trying to justify why conor should duck masvidal,and trying to throw shade on the rapid ascent of the street christ,to undim conors sordid return against the punching bag.

The rest of us however look forward to GOATsvidal's title aspirations w great interest.

The truth is that Conor is the ONLY mainstream star they have that overall, the average person would probably recognize. Maybe Jon Jones due to all his newsmaking non mma stuff. Otherwise, Nate is someone most would not know, and mostly the same with Khabib. They might think... Is that a ufc guy? At best.

FHk0YLZ.gif

I had like 10 calls/texts from casual fans asking me about this Jorge Masvidal guy. Even my co workers knew about the Diaz/Jorge fight.

nice player hating TS good to know you probably got picked on by some hispanic kid growing up which probably is why you hate Jorge

Masvidal beat up Nate.
He's asking hard for Conor
He's asking to fight the title-holder Usman and looks like that's happening.
He fights at 170lbs in a different weight-class to Khabib.

Dude is just getting started.
Who gives a fuck how many Instagram followers he has, and nobody cares if some casual in the street knows who he is.
He is a more entertaining, and more REAL fighter than ALL of the people TS mentioned.

Back