The truth is Masvidal has no real star power

themiketoth

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Masvidal gained traction and fans in the MMA community ONLY, whereas conor, Nate, Khabib gained traction and fans to people that have never watched MMA. His name is hot in the MMA community, no normal person would ever know who he is. That’s only where he has his star power.
For example, you could walk up to just a normal guy on the street, ask if they know masvidal, and they’d say who is that? But if you mentioned conor, Nate, Khabib there’s a high chance they know 2/3 at least.
He only has 1.7 mil Instagram followers. For the record, people like Tyron Woodley, Cody garbrant, Max Holloway, DC all have more followers than him. Those guys aren’t draws whatsoever.

The point is people are making this guy out to be a superstar. He hasn’t done anything superstar worthy, for example expanding the sport to people that have never watched mma before.

1g1b59.jpg

Have you not been let out of your mom’s basement recently?

Agreed with the substance of the OP, but not the tone. Except for Cody.

But somehow you make it sound like he’s an asshole for being just below the first tier.

He’s more well know than about 450 of 460 UFC fighters. And in a short period of time he moved up about 75 spots.

Thats awesome and should be celebrated, not mocked.

He needs that marquee fight for sure but he has a great story and personality to do it. Who wouldn't want Connor? If he did well in the shit talk and won the fight, he'd shine.

I think he does, but to solidify it he just jneeds to deliver another 'three piece and soda', out side of the ring.

You know. Keep it real.

Or make quick work of Usman.

But yeah on the street is the go. Cuban Tupac.

you're not wrong but you're wrong (if you know what I mean)

Masvidal gained traction and fans in the MMA community ONLY, whereas conor, Nate, Khabib gained traction and fans to people that have never watched MMA. His name is hot in the MMA community, no normal person would ever know who he is. That’s only where he has his star power.
For example, you could walk up to just a normal guy on the street, ask if they know masvidal, and they’d say who is that? But if you mentioned conor, Nate, Khabib there’s a high chance they know 2/3 at least.
He only has 1.7 mil Instagram followers. For the record, people like Tyron Woodley, Cody garbrant, Max Holloway, DC all have more followers than him. Those guys aren’t draws whatsoever.

The point is people are making this guy out to be a superstar. He hasn’t done anything superstar worthy, for example expanding the sport to people that have never watched mma before.
Tyron Woodley 1.4 million

I think he's got a small amount of star power but it's hard to gage now as we don't have any accurate ppv numbers to draw on- not sure if Instagram is the most reliable of indicators. Fighting and mauling Till, Askren and particularly Diaz certainly got him some attention but bottom line is he needs the Conor fight to become a true superstar. If he fights and beats Usman I think that would be enough to entice Conor as the man would have a shot at a WW title and at making even more history as the first 3 weight division UFC champ.

If Masvidal beats Usman and gets the McGregor fight for the WW strap and assuming he beats him he'd be one of the top stars in the sport, bigger than Diaz I'd imagine but not as big as McGregor, Khabib or Jones, though he'd be close to the latter. Not sure if beats Usman though.

Regular people on the street wouldn't know who Nate Diaz is either.

He’s an ok dude and has the personality but his 15 minutes are about over. He’s been a gatekeeper but had some nice wins recently to get him the attention but against the elite he gets destroyed. Good for him though capitalizing on his time in the sun. Usman puts him back in his gatekeeper role.

Why is it that on an MMA forum where people would be fans of MMA, people care about how many non MMA fans know of a fighter or an event or whatever? Does it make a fight more exciting to you as a fan to know that someone who knows nothing about MMA or what they are watching is watching too?

Who cares? I love watching him fight and that's all that matters to me. Could care less how many people on the street know who he is or if he's considered a superstar or not.

He is the type of guy who is a star just because he has no real star power

In the West the majority of non MMA fans have no idea who Khabib or Nate are. Conor is known to the majority of people due to his exploits and persona. However, the question I would ask is why would anyone care about that? Especially those of us that follow MMA... Why do you care about someone’s popularity to non MMA fans?

Nate X Mas was the biggest UFC PPV in 2019
Pretty good for a guy with no real star power

Why is it that on an MMA forum where people would be fans of MMA, people care about how many non MMA fans know of a fighter or an event or whatever? Does it make a fight more exciting to you as a fan to know that someone who knows nothing about MMA or what they are watching is watching too?
Maybe us fans hoping MMA gets the attention it deserves. Then our fighters get paid better and mma is seen as the elite combat sport it is.

Maybe not a superstar, but I've come across two or three casuals talking about him. Especially after the Nate fight, Nate brought them in perhaps but a lot of casuals took notice after that.

Back