The truth is Masvidal has no real star power

I think he's got a small amount of star power but it's hard to gage now as we don't have any accurate ppv numbers to draw on- not sure if Instagram is the most reliable of indicators. Fighting and mauling Till, Askren and particularly Diaz certainly got him some attention but bottom line is he needs the Conor fight to become a true superstar. If he fights and beats Usman I think that would be enough to entice Conor as the man would have a shot at a WW title and at making even more history as the first 3 weight division UFC champ.

If Masvidal beats Usman and gets the McGregor fight for the WW strap and assuming he beats him he'd be one of the top stars in the sport, bigger than Diaz I'd imagine but not as big as McGregor, Khabib or Jones, though he'd be close to the latter. Not sure if beats Usman though.

those things are happening jorge not beating usman and conor wont fight him.not hard to be biggert han nate diva he at home crying like a baby

those things are happening jorge not beating usman and conor wont fight him.not hard to be biggert han nate diva he at home crying like a baby
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about, what on earth is a biggert han nate diva?

It's hard to tell how permanent Masvidal's star is, as it only shot up due to his last 3 wins.
With a loss he could be somewhat forgotten.
But then again - the BMF fight which drew a lot of casual attention, maybe it will still be there.

After all there might only be 5 active fighters in the UFC who have any kind of name recognition outside of the UFC.
Conor, Jones, Khabib, Nate and Masvidal.

Last edited:
A random 50. divison Basketball Player is more popular than Mas

Dunno why people act like Usman is gonna strike with him. He's going to hold him down for a decision.

it could happen. but Ben Askren thought he was gonna hold him down too.

His a big star.. You don't just get Donald Trump to attend your fight and be a nobody! come on TS

Masvidal gained traction and fans in the MMA community ONLY, whereas conor, Nate, Khabib gained traction and fans to people that have never watched MMA. His name is hot in the MMA community, no normal person would ever know who he is. That’s only where he has his star power.
For example, you could walk up to just a normal guy on the street, ask if they know masvidal, and they’d say who is that? But if you mentioned conor, Nate, Khabib there’s a high chance they know 2/3 at least.
He only has 1.7 mil Instagram followers. For the record, people like Tyron Woodley, Cody garbrant, Max Holloway, DC all have more followers than him. Those guys aren’t draws whatsoever.

The point is people are making this guy out to be a superstar. He hasn’t done anything superstar worthy, for example expanding the sport to people that have never watched mma before.

Lol

Its pretty obvious that he has star power if that wasnt the case he would have not been invited to a big superbowl party that had big time celebs check. on insta too he has a ton more followers than majority ufc fighters

Masvidal gained traction and fans in the MMA community ONLY, whereas conor, Nate, Khabib gained traction and fans to people that have never watched MMA. His name is hot in the MMA community, no normal person would ever know who he is. That’s only where he has his star power.
For example, you could walk up to just a normal guy on the street, ask if they know masvidal, and they’d say who is that? But if you mentioned conor, Nate, Khabib there’s a high chance they know 2/3 at least.
He only has 1.7 mil Instagram followers. For the record, people like Tyron Woodley, Cody garbrant, Max Holloway, DC all have more followers than him. Those guys aren’t draws whatsoever.

The point is people are making this guy out to be a superstar. He hasn’t done anything superstar worthy, for example expanding the sport to people that have never watched mma before.

You can say the same for Khabib and Nate, nobody give a shit about them before they fought Conor. lol

"whereas conor, Nate, Khabib..."

Lol Khabib is not on this level.

Khabib's only drawing power comes from his record, and even more significantly, beating Conor McGregor.

Take either away and he's completely forgettable to casuals.

Yeah Usman is a way, way better fighter than Askren though.

he's a way better wrestler and offensive striker, but his defense doesn't look better than Askren's. because like Askren's, it doesn't exist.

he's a way better wrestler and offensive striker, but his defense doesn't look better than Askren's. because like Askren's, it doesn't exist.
Askren literally has no standup, like zero. Usman won a fight entirely using his standup. Broke a guys jaw in the process. Another wrestler yes, but Askrens standup is so bad other wrestlers that could stuff his shot would be a terrible matchup for him.

Askren literally has no standup, like zero. Usman won a fight entirely using his standup. Broke a guys jaw in the process. Another wrestler yes, but Askrens standup is so bad other wrestlers that could stuff his shot would be a terrible matchup for him.

sure, and Usman has literally zero striking defense. he beat Colby up because he's more powerful and he has a chin. he didn't win because he's so much better at striking than Colby. IIRC Colby was ahead on the score cards going into the last rd.

Masvidal hits harder, is more accurate, better at setting up his strikes, and very savvy. Usman can smother him sure, but then that'd make him predictable, and if he comes in stupid, we all saw what Askren got.

people are acting like it's going to be easy but like i said, he shoots too much and Masvidal can use his predictability to KO him. he strikes too much and he can be KO'd because of his shitty defense and huge reliance on his chin. that's not even mentioning Usman's terrible knees. who knows how he'll react after getting kick in the legs. who knows how he'll react if Masvidal gets on his bike and Usman has to chase.

i think Usman's best bet against Masvidal is to smother him to the fence. shooting or striking isn't as safe as walking into a clinch and pushing Jorge back.

sure, and Usman has literally zero striking defense. he beat Colby up because he's more powerful and he has a chin. he didn't win because he's so much better at striking than Colby. IIRC Colby was ahead on the score cards going into the last rd.

Masvidal hits harder, is more accurate, better at setting up his strikes, and very savvy. Usman can smother him sure, but then that'd make him predictable, and if he comes in stupid, we all saw what Askren got.

people are acting like it's going to be easy but like i said, he shoots too much and Masvidal can use his predictability to KO him. he strikes too much and he can be KO'd because of his shitty defense and huge reliance on his chin. that's not even mentioning Usman's terrible knees. who knows how he'll react after getting kick in the legs. who knows how he'll react if Masvidal gets on his bike and Usman has to chase.

i think Usman's best bet against Masvidal is to smother him to the fence. shooting or striking isn't as safe as walking into a clinch and pushing Jorge back.
I don't think he plans to stand with Masvidal at all, or has to. I do see your point about the possibility of getting caught coming in, but Usmans entries are better than Askrens.

At the highest levels, shuffling forward like a zombie until you make physical contact with the opponent isn't good enough. And that's where Askrens at. He's bad as a striker from a technical standpoint not just with his offense and defense, but with footwork, closing the distance, and movement in general.

Not sure if serious, i reside in south Fl most of the year and Masvidal cant get a snickers bar at the gas station with peace and quiet.. Completely ridiculous. As far as Usman goes, this guy walks around at 200 with almost no body fat and has crazy skills and gas tank etc. As much as i Like Mas, i think he will have trouble. Esp in 4 and 5

Agreed with the substance of the OP, but not the tone. Except for Cody.

But somehow you make it sound like he’s an asshole for being just below the first tier.

He’s more well know than about 450 of 460 UFC fighters. And in a short period of time he moved up about 75 spots.

Thats awesome and should be celebrated, not mocked.

Right on.

Back