The Thing About Matt Brown's Streak

Yeah Woodley is 3-2 in his last 5 fights. He beat Jay Herin & Kos! Beat Condit due to injury. Lost to Shields & KTFO by Nate & he skipped right over Brown! Makes perfect since right? How does Woodley deserve to be above Brown in the prestigious ranking system?
How far back someone goes can make a big difference in how it is viewed. Even one less fight and you can say Woodley is 3-1 in his last 4 with his only loss being a split-decision loss to Shields. And he went from being more of a wrestler and lay and pray guy to now knocking Kos out with one of the most vicious shots I have seen in the UFC and finishing Condit (granted due to injury) in a fight he was handling Condit pretty easily in. Whether we like it or not, a win over Condit no matter how he got it is still huge for the rankings. I guarantee if Brown fought Condit when they were supposed to and got the win the exact same way and Woodley's last win was Pyle you would probably see their rankings reversed. A lot of the people who get to vote on the rankings have been following the sport a lot less longer than most serious fans.

But I think the reasons you gave is why Woodley doesn't have a title shot yet either and is scheduled to fight Rory. The jury is still out on whether he turned the corner and they want to see him against another higher caliber guy. Other than GSP/Hendrix and Jones/Gus and Hendrix/Lawler, we have had so many title fights that have not even been close. Most champs have been dominating for a while and this is the one division deep enough where they can afford to actually do it right and let guys slowly climb the ladder and have actual number one contender fights.

It would suck to see a guy you wanna see fight for the title lose and get knocked to the back of the line. But I much prefer this approach than say fighting a guy from a coffee shop and then Dan Henderson in essentially a number one contender fight or getting title shots off of losses or retirement or getting an over-the-hill Randy. And I really want to see Brown fight one of the guys anyway as I think it will be another awesome fight. I think eventually there are 3-4 guys that are still going to get their shot but the order will depend on the prior match-ups and outcomes. But these guys should be good enough that they will get their shot eventually. It's kind of a nice problem to have for a change. JMO

Browne v Lawlor so we can go ahead and accept that Browne's brawler style is exciting to watch (I'm a big fan) but not champion status.

Yeah Woodley is 3-2 in his last 5 fights. He beat Jay Herin & Kos! Beat Condit due to injury. Lost to Shields & KTFO by Nate & he skipped right over Brown! Makes perfect since right? How does Woodley deserve to be above Brown in the prestigious ranking system?

beating relevant fighters has something to do with it.

And we've found Bader to be a "mediocre" fighter. So trying to discredit what Brown's done based on some invented criteria is sort of wacky.

The point is, regardless of what anyone thinks of Bader, Jones didn't get the shot for just beating him, he got the shot because the top contender got injured and Jones was the best option in six weeks

Apples and oranges

Seriously? So Kos coming off of two loses in a row & Heiron being 0-4 in the UFC are MORE relevant than who Browns beat?

Yes.

stop defining fighters by their losses, look at their wins.
-Kos has a resume a mile long. Former #1 contender & like 15 wins in the UFC.
-Condit is a former champ & has beaten diaz, dong, ellenberger, macdonald, kampmann, and many more. Hes been the #2-#3 welterweight for years.

Defeating & surpassing them puts woodley high in the rankings.

Beating mike swick does not get you high ranked. It just puts you ahead of mike swick.

The point is, regardless of what anyone thinks of Bader, Jones didn't get the shot for just beating him, he got the shot because the top contender got injured and Jones was the best option in six weeks

Apples and oranges

No, the point is the list of fighters Jones beat to that point can also be called "mediocre".

So saying Matt Brown's competition has been mediocre on his win streak doesn't really mean much.

Yes.

stop defining fighters by their losses, look at their wins.
-Kos has a resume a mile long. Former #1 contender & like 15 wins in the UFC.
-Condit is a former champ & has beaten diaz, dong, ellenberger, macdonald, kampmann, and many more. Hes been the #2-#3 welterweight for years.

Defeating & surpassing them puts woodley high in the rankings.

Beating mike swick does not get you high ranked. It just puts you ahead of mike swick.

Ok so what was the number infront of Kos & Heirons name when Woodley beat them?

Yes Condit is legit & deserves his ranking but I don't put a lot into the way Woodley won(by injury). He was looking good & may have went on to win but we don't know that. What we could take away is that Condit has cardio for days & Woodley hasn't proven he does. Condit also has tons of heart, is never out of a fight & Woodley hasn't proven that. Woodley recently proved he has a suspect chin & Condit does not. The truth is the longer that fight would've gone the more in favor of Condit it would've been. Did Woodley 'win' yes but it's tainted & shouldn't have boosted his stock so high. He still has a lot to prove.

Matt Brown Vs Lombard seems unavoidable. Its either UFC 176 co-main event or Earlier.

Because he's fighting at a level of competition far superior to what Brown has been fighting, therefore the risk was lower and the reward is higher

No, the point is the list of fighters Jones beat to that point can also be called "mediocre".

So saying Matt Brown's competition has been mediocre on his win streak doesn't really mean much.

No, the point is Bader was a top ten fighter and even be beating him, Jones still only got a shot out of necessity because of the injury to Evans. Had that not occurred Jones would still have to fight at least one more top ranked guy to get title consideration

Matt Brown has been beating unranked guys, and when he stepped up in the past he lost everytime. So this situation is I'm no way comparable to Jones situation

No, the point is Bader was a top ten fighter and even be beating him, Jones still only got a shot out of necessity because of the injury to Evans. Had that not occurred Jones would still have to fight at least one more top ranked guy to get title consideration

Matt Brown has been beating unranked guys, and when he stepped up in the past he lost everytime. So this situation is I'm no way comparable to Jones situation

Rankings don't matter

Back