The Thing About Matt Brown's Streak

He's literally none of those things

WTF? He is all but 1 and I think he may have become that one last night...
Everyone I know is talking about how fucking awesome that was last night so I think his fan base is about to explode! As for easy to sell..... I think that took care of itself last night!!!!!

Respect the streak

He's been a buzz saw. Let's see how much more he can buzz saw

Rankings don't matter

Last night was a pretty good win, but that whole streak is full of mediocre fighters. Everytime Brown has stepped above that level he's been handled

Respect the streak

He's been a buzz saw. Let's see how much more he can buzz saw

Rankings don't matter

I agree, rankings don't matter. But a streak is only as good as the people beaten in it. You can't say much about the guys Brown has beaten and even though he's exciting, putting him in line for a title fight is laughable. If he can finish a top 10 fighter then he can fight for the title.

Last night was a pretty good win, but that whole streak is full of mediocre fighters. Everytime Brown has stepped above that level he's been handled

What was Jon Jones' best win on his way to winning the title?

He fucking wishes he could

LOL

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

What was Jon Jones' best win on his way to winning the title?

Bader, a top ten undefeated fighter and even then Jones was a replacement

Not to mention Jones didn't have a record hovering around .500

Bader, a top ten undefeated fighter and even then Jones was a replacement

Not to mention Jones didn't have a record hovering around .500

And we've found Bader to be a "mediocre" fighter. So trying to discredit what Brown's done based on some invented criteria is sort of wacky.

Matt Brown deserves a number one contender fight. If he loses then he wasn't meant to be fighting for the belt.

For some reason people just hate this guy, that is obvious. I dont see anything to hate.
First fight i seen of his was last night and honestly, very few fighters have made such a big impression on me as Brown did last night.

And we've found Bader to be a "mediocre" fighter. So trying to discredit what Brown's done based on some invented criteria is sort of wacky.

This is exactly my point. We are basing that he "hasn't fought anybody" based on subjective rankings (which by the way he has fought a top ten guy in Pyle who was number 9 or 10 when he foought him).
People are putting way too much in to these other guys beating Shields, Marquart and Koschek on the back end of their careers instead of on beating young talented guys like Mein, Thompson and Silva.... It is all so convoluded. He doesn't deserve it because the 7 guys he has beaten in a row didn't make some subjective ranking with no metric criteria to prove their place...... Weird shit man.

BTW. The guys he has fought over the last 3 years have a .583 winning percentage in the UFC which is second to only the 6 guys Rory has fought (.633). Difference is he has beat them all and finished all but 1, while Rory has lost 2 of those 7 fights.....

The other 3 guys being talked about have records in the UFC over the past 3 years that are notably inferior against guiys with worse winning percentages.

Every one is saying he hasn't beaten a top 10 guy. Which is fair to say! But it's not his fault he's been getting these match ups. He's been wanting the top guys. He was on his way to fighting Condit then the injury bug had to ruin it all. I can see the UFC matching him with either of these three next for sure:

1. Lombard
2. Saffiedine
3. Kim

Why no title shot? Well it seems like even the UFC thinks he needs a top 10 win. Lombard is the scariest fight for him. If Tarec can get healthy...i'd favor Matt by a decent margin. The leg kicks wouldn't be a huge factor due to Matt's pressure. The Kim rematch would be fun. Would favor Matt as well.

Thoughts about the streak?
Jim Miller had a similar streak and performances and then got destroyed by better competition in Nate Diaz and Ben Henderson. (JM is one of my favorite fighters though). I know in a world where people get title shots out of retirement or following losses a top 14 win and an 8 win streak should be enough but this fight still almost went the other way and was over in first few minutes. The UFC doesn't want to hype up another guy just to see him get dominated in a title fight. And we just had Travis Browne and Tex coming off of big streaks and some big names even get destroyed. The truth is Matt still needs t prove he is at the same level of people like Condit, Lombard, Woodley, Rory, etc. No doubt Brown is a bad-ass with a ton of heart and killer instinct and fun to watch. But he has beaten very beatable guys on his streak and has 11 losses. Hey, he may have turned the corner no matter who he fights. But if that is so, then fighting a top 3 guy will prove it. A win will get him a title shot. Sometimes the talent gap between #1-3 contender and #7 is huge.

For those saying he isn't marketable what about Matt Hughes? The UFC did ok marketing him. IMO Brown appeals to the same fan base that supported Hughes. The only difference is Brown smiles less but puts on more exciting fights.

Every one is saying he hasn't beaten a top 10 guy. Which is fair to say! But it's not his fault he's been getting these match ups. He's been wanting the top guys...

No he hasnt been asking for top guys. Hes only been asking for a title shot, ala nick diaz.
If he'd been realistic & asked for a top 10 opponents after Mike Swick, he wouldve had 1 by now. Guys like Woodley & Lombard werent even in the division when brown was riding a 5 fight win streak, yet they skipped right past him.
His own fault

He's literally none of those things
I'll give you he's not "the fight is interesting and draws viewers", since that doesn't describe a person. But, he's literally and objectively at least 3 of those things (speaks English, ranked in the top 10, won 7 in a row). Subjectively, most people would say he's also exciting and marketable.

No he hasnt been asking for top guys. Hes only been asking for a title shot, ala nick diaz.
If he'd been realistic & asked for a top 10 opponents after Mike Swick, he wouldve had 1 by now. Guys like Woodley & Lombard werent even in the division when brown was riding a 5 fight win streak, yet they skipped right past him.
His own fault

Yeah Woodley is 3-2 in his last 5 fights. He beat Jay Herin & Kos! Beat Condit due to injury. Lost to Shields & KTFO by Nate & he skipped right over Brown! Makes perfect since right? How does Woodley deserve to be above Brown in the prestigious ranking system?

He will have to get a top contender now. All this attention to it will require it. Matt hasn't hasn't exactly been calling out anyone are lobbying for anyone in particular. For good reason those ranked up near the top wouldn't be itching to step in with him either.

Back