The Thing About Matt Brown's Streak

D

Drake

Every one is saying he hasn't beaten a top 10 guy. Which is fair to say! But it's not his fault he's been getting these match ups. He's been wanting the top guys. He was on his way to fighting Condit then the injury bug had to ruin it all. I can see the UFC matching him with either of these three next for sure:

1. Lombard
2. Saffiedine
3. Kim

Why no title shot? Well it seems like even the UFC thinks he needs a top 10 win. Lombard is the scariest fight for him. If Tarec can get healthy...i'd favor Matt by a decent margin. The leg kicks wouldn't be a huge factor due to Matt's pressure. The Kim rematch would be fun. Would favor Matt as well.

Thoughts about the streak?

Last edited by a moderator:
usually Dana gives title shots more leniently to those who:
1) have a strong fanbase
2) the fight is interesting and draws viewers
3) marketable + speaks English
4) high on rankings and riding on a win streak
5) exciting fighter

well its a streak with no top 10 opponents, except for Silva now. The UFC has had guys fight for a title shot before with little or no top 10 fighters to their resume. See Gustavson for a recent example. I wouldnt be surpised if they have Brown next for Hendricks.

That being said, Hendricks will most likely be out for a while trying to make the most of his belt. So who knows.

Give him the main event of the San Jose Fox card against lombard
Its 2 and a half months away but I bet he'd jump at the chance

I think Lombard would best him handily in a 3 rounder, in 5 I'm not so sure. The other two aren't big enough names. I like the Ellenberger/Lawler winner best as well.

Give him the main event of the San Jose Fox card against lombard
Its 2 and a half months away but I bet he'd jump at the chance

485488.jpg

glover didn't beat a top 10. unless rampage was at 10 or something.

1) have a strong fanbase
5) exciting fighter

Could you elaborate on the English speaking portion of your post please?

1) have a strong fanbase
5) exciting fighter

He's literally none of those things

Heck, I'd be fine if they gave him a title shot. The guy performs, is exciting and has a long streak going. If they go just by rankings, it definitely wouldn't be "fair" to the likes of Lombard, Woodley and Rory. Too bad, to me the above 3 fought not to be on the losing end, while Brown comes to win.

Honestly, they all can make a case, I wouldn't be mad with any of them getting the shot. Regardless, Brown is either getting a title shot or a title eliminator- both should be exciting.

Yeah, it was so awkward when Anik was doing the post fight interview and Matt started screaming "BLARGAGU GARLA BLARGH BRAAAAALARG" in his own language. He should really learn english, being from America and all.

he is all of those things and more.
Which WW is more exciting than him?
Ranking wise he doesn't deserve the shot, that is clear.
Most top 10 guys would be favorite against him betting wise.

BUT...he should get that title shot directly.
It's the perfect underdog story and would be a bigger draw than either Woodley, Lombard or Rory.
And he'd actually have the same chances of beating Hendricks as either of them.

I'm almost certain Mike Pyle was in the top 10 when he beat him.

Back