Television The Star Trek Thread V6.0

There's Trek Books. But there are also books of Babylon 5
Anyone read them ? WIth John Sheridans son David playing a central role.

FB-IMG-1585963501293.jpg

I was always told that Enterprise was the worst

Funny enough, I watched the first episode yesterday and thought it was pretty good and I like a lot of stuff about it

I like that it doesn't look like a typical Star Trek show. Its much more rough and gritty compared to typical Star Trek.

I like the look of the starship and how it almost resembles a submarine. It's very industrial looking and I dig that a lot.

I like warp 4.5 instead of warp 9.98

I like seeing humans interact with Klingons for the first time

With that said why do people say Enterprise is bad?

I rewatched Enterprise in its entirety last year. I think it has the best first season of all the Trek shows. Season 3 was a stinker, but season 4 was really good.

It never reached the highs of TNG and DS9 but at its best it was a pretty respectable show. Not like JJ Trek, Discovery and Picard which are all fucking trash.

There's Trek Books. But there are also books of Babylon 5
Anyone read them ? WIth John Sheridans son David playing a central role.

I'm currently reading the Shadows Within. It follows Anna's trip (Sheridan's wife) to Z'ha'dum, and the events that lead up to it. It's fucking awesome. Jeanna Davalos wrote it, she knows her B5, captures it perfectly. I don't know of any books that focus on his son, but this is a must read.

It's also a prequel to the author's Techno Mages trilogy, which is also supposed to be excellent. I loved that episode with them on Babylon 5, always wanted more. The Crusade series explored them further, but it got cancelled before things picked up.

Screenshot_20200403-220551_Gallery.jpg

20200403_221004.jpg

Last edited:
TOS episode "Balance of Terror".

Excellent. First actual visual contact with the Romulans, a Neutral Zone story, reflective of its time.

Another episode where a bridge officer just pipes up with opinions, dictating advisements based on his personal hatred of Romulans.

He's insubordinate to the First Officer in a manner that would merit removal from his post.

Great examination of when force is necessary and attitudes regarding conflict. Great cat and mouse games.

Das Warbird.

I rewatched Enterprise in its entirety last year. I think it has the best first season of all the Trek shows. Season 3 was a stinker, but season 4 was really good.

It never reached the highs of TNG and DS9 but at its best it was a pretty respectable show. Not like JJ Trek, Discovery and Picard which are all fucking trash.

The thing for me is that with TNG and DS9(or indeed Babylon 5) whilst they did have problems in their first seasons I got more of a sense that they were building towards something greater which we got in the latter seasons, I felt Enterprise was more a low hanging fruit kind of opening, focusing on a relatively simple concept that could pay off early, less focus on the wider setting, more nationalism, more callbacks , etc.

Again though I'd agree the 4th season did work very well after they finished the temporal cold war nonsense, I think moved beyond cheap callbacks towards making things like Soong/Augments or the Vulcan plot have real substance to them, just what the show needed as it was IMHO otherwise lacking in strong character drama.

Last edited:
I’m going through tng now. Probably do ds9 next

v1.bTsxMTY0OTQ2MTtqOzE4NDQ5OzEyMDA7Mjg0OzQwNQ

Rewatched this great movie last night. Its the story of how TNG was created, and the chaos that ensued. Highly recommend

The black girl from the 2009 Star Trek movie is pretty hot. That’s about all I can contribute to this conversation...

tumblr_ppiczkvMJ41xgit8po2_500.jpg

Is it 2063 yet?

Happy first contact day everyone

tumblr_ppiczkvMJ41xgit8po2_500.jpg

Is it 2063 yet?

Happy first contact day everyone
There were a lot of things I disliked about First Contact, and one of them was James Cromwell as Zefram Cochrane. That was some terrible casting (especially following Glen Corbett's incarnation of the character).

"The City on the Edge of Forever" first premiered 53 years ago today — April 6, 1967. ✨

The episode was written by Harlan Ellison, D. C. Fontana, and Gene L. Coon.

"The City on the Edge of Forever" first premiered 53 years ago today — April 6, 1967. ✨

The episode was written by Harlan Ellison, D. C. Fontana, and Gene L. Coon.
One of the best eps in all series. Just amazing. Gut wrenching.

Killers! Assassins!

On to the start of season 2 of TNG and actually I would say the first season was rather better than my memory, by the last third of so does get a good deal closer to the classic tone of the show than I remember although granted the "say no to drugs!" speech form Tasha is probably the most dated thing in the entire series.

I spose part of the issue there is that a lot of those episodes almost feel like dry runs, concepts the show went back to more effectively latter on when it was more established and didn't need to spend so much time on selling its concepts/characters. Its actually the earlier stuff where the show is searching for its style and feeling more like TOS that tend to stick in the mind more because there so different to what we saw latter on, but really there are only a handful of pure cheese episodes.

Last edited:
Back