Television The Star Trek Thread V6.0

Intresting choice to have Chabon as show runner. He has no TV experience, but it must mean that his story ideas must be guiding the series. Most likely Alex Kurtzman wanted to lock him up, and keep him under contract, so gave him. The show runner title and the pay bump. He's a fantastic writer, so I'm anxiously awaiting to see what he does with Picard.

Intresting choice to have Chabon as show runner. He has no TV experience, but it must mean that his story ideas must be guiding the series. Most likely Alex Kurtzman wanted to lock him up, and keep him under contract, so gave him. The show runner title and the pay bump. He's a fantastic writer, so I'm anxiously awaiting to see what he does with Picard.

I hope he is up to the job, but I expect Picard to be more story driven than effects driven, so he might be up to the task.

God I hope they do not drop the ball there.

So in January I started watching Enterprise on Netflix. Finally finished it up on Sunday night. I really liked it. I had watched about 80-90% of season 1 when it originally aired in 2001, and then about 20% of season 2 when it aired, but none of season 3 or 4 except for the series finale. I just couldn't get into it back then. But watching it now, I think it was really good. Arguably better than Voyager, and definitely better than the JJ Abrams era movies which I don't even consider "real Star Trek".

Just started watching Discovery last night. Definitely not liking it so far. What in the fuck did they do to the Klingons?? Forty years of this:

klingon-2-56aec23c3df78cf772bdaca0.jpg

To now be replaced with this?!?:

dsc-what-we-know-about-tkuvma-header.jpg
]

The fuck...?
I think STD has many flaws, but the one that pissed me off the most was how bad they fucked up the Klingons. I couldn't watch beyond the first one or two episodes.

I think STD has many flaws, but the one that pissed me off the most was how bad they fucked up the Klingons. I couldn't watch beyond the first one or two episodes.

What I don’t get is how anyone thought it was a good idea. Klingons have always been a fan favourite of Trekkies. How did no one say “you know, this is probably going to piss a lot of fans off, maybe we shouldn’t do this to the Klingons?”

What I don’t get is how anyone thought it was a good idea. Klingons have always been a fan favourite of Trekkies. How did no one say “you know, this is probably going to piss a lot of fans off, maybe we shouldn’t do this to the Klingons?”
I don't get it either. It's total desecration. They look like a completely different species of something. Some will argue that Klingons have evolved throughout the series, which they have, but they have never been totally expressionless with so many prosthetics covering their faces.

I don't get it either. It's total desecration. They look like a completely different species of something. Some will argue that Klingons have evolved throughout the series, which they have, but they have never been totally expressionless with so many prosthetics covering their faces.

They look like a Remen from Star Trek Nemesis had sex with a rhino.

I do think an upgrade was possible and could have been done, but the execution was exceptionally poor.

I guess it was Bryan Fuller, who mandated the changes to the aliens. I think they have a cool premise, with the different type of Klingons that have evolved across the empire, but they should've at least had a few of the TNG style around. They have taken steps to fix that in Season 2 though. Who knew a little har could make all the difference.

I guess it was Bryan Fuller, who mandated the changes to the aliens. I think they have a cool premise, with the different type of Klingons that have evolved across the empire, but they should've at least had a few of the TNG style around. They have taken steps to fix that in Season 2 though. Who knew a little har could make all the difference.

Is that their ad hoc explanation after the fact? That these are just some sub group of Klingons? Because I don’t buy it, at the start of the second episode the Klingons from all the great houses are having a teleconference and they all look the same.

I saw the ones with hair, and it made little difference to me. They still basically all have the same cookie cutter mold facial prosthetics.

Is that their ad hoc explanation after the fact? That these are just some sub group of Klingons? Because I don’t buy it, at the start of the second episode the Klingons from all the great houses are having a teleconference and they all look the same.
Those were only some of the houses. They wrote some cool back story and biological reasons on why some look different, but of course, they don't have time to delve into that.

I thought a great way to fix it, would be that the traditional looking Klingons are from Quo'nos, and make up the majority of the population we see. Have some sort of war, where the houses go to war, and the TNG style Klingons win out.

Those were only some of the houses. They wrote some cool back story and biological reasons on why some look different, but of course, they don't have time to delve into that.

I thought a great way to fix it, would be that the traditional looking Klingons are from Quo'nos, and make up the majority of the population we see. Have some sort of war, where the houses go to war, and the TNG style Klingons win out.

In the episode they said some shit about 24 ships for the 24 great houses. The video conference call showed maybe 10 Klingons or so and each of them was one of the bald rhino mother fuckers.

TNG storylines that led nowhere:

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-next-generation-storylines-resolved/

This is actually is a good read. We are (rightfully) critical of DSC's canon issues, but there are many storylines that should have had an impact.

Whoever put that list together needs to do their homework. They’ve got details backwards on the thing with Worf and his brother. Worf had his brother’s memory erased after the SECOND time their family’s honour was stripped. The house of Mogh never regained its honour after that a second time. Instead Martok invited Worf into his house as an honorary brother. There were never any circumstances that warranted Worf seeking out Kurn again.

Furthermore the whole wiping out Kurn’s memory happened in DS9 and had nothing to do with TNG and shouldn’t even be on this list.

Another mistake is in #1 about Romulus. It says that after the episode with Spock they never show Romulus again until the 2009 reboot. However, they go there in Nemesis. That’s an especially odd oversight seeing as how they talk about that movie in this same list.

A third oversight was the neutral zone attacks - they confirmed in the very first episode with the Borg that the Borg were responsible for the attacks on the neutral zone when Data remarks that the damage done to nearby planets was identical to what they had previously found in the neutral zone.

There’s a few things on the list though that I do agree with, namely that they never followed up on the homing beacon sent out by the parasites in Conspiracy, or the apparent damage that warp speed was causing to space, and of course the whole Wesley being back in Starfleet in Nemesis thing was totally fucking stupid. But there’s so much dumb shit in Nemesis that I like to pretend the movie isn’t canon.

Last edited:
Whoever put that list together needs to do their homework. They’ve got details backwards on the thing with Worf and his brother. Worf had his brother’s memory erased after the SECOND time their family’s honour was stripped. The house of Mogh never regained its honour after that a second time. Instead Martok invited Worf into his house as an honorary brother. There were never any circumstances that warranted Worf seeking out Kurn again.

Furthermore the whole wiping out Kurn’s memory happened in DS9 and had nothing to do with TNG and shouldn’t even be on this list.

Another mistake is in #1 about Romulus. It says that after the episode with Spock they never show Romulus again until the 2009 reboot. However, they go there in Nemesis. That’s an especially odd oversight seeing as how they talk about that movie in this same list.

A third oversight was the neutral zone attacks - they confirmed in the very first episode with the Borg that the Borg were responsible for the attacks on the neutral zone when Data remarks that the damage done to nearby planets was identical to what they had previously found in the neutral zone.

There’s a few things on the list though that I do agree with, namely that they never followed up on the homing beacon sent out by the parasites in Conspiracy, or the apparent damage that warp speed was causing to space, and of course the whole Wesley being back in Starfleet in Nemesis thing was totally fucking stupid. But there’s so much dumb shit in Nemesis that I like to pretend the movie isn’t canon.

Great points

These buggers are coming back for us! As soon as that signal reaches there home....

adsc_by_goanimator-d5a5jm1.jpg

These buggers are coming back for us! As soon as that signal reaches there home....

adsc_by_goanimator-d5a5jm1.jpg

Best episode of season 1. That’s not saying much really, but still, it was a great episode. I’m a little surprised that Voyager never revisited the parasites. You’d think squeezing them into the Delta Quadrant somewhere could have worked well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back