Television The Star Trek Thread V6.0

Despite that I love musicals, I normally hate it when dramatic shows do an out-of-the-blue musical episode. Not the case with Strange New Worlds. The music was fantastic, and while I'm not usually surprised to learn that actors have more diverse performance arts backgrounds than are known to me, because many have trained with ambitions to hit Broadway before hitting it even bigger as TV or Movie stars, I had no idea there was so much singing talent on the cast. Ethan Peck has a sensational voice. I guess that shouldn't be surprising considering how deeply resonant his speaking voice is. So it made sense when I Googled him that I learned he studied at the Experimental Theatre Wing at Tisch. He probably has at least a dozen classmates who are currently starring on and off Broadway. I was more surprised to learn that he is Gregory Peck's grandson.

Nor was I surprised to learn that Celia Rose Gooding majored in musical theater at Pace.

The opening number was my favorite. Uhura's solo was second.

Pillar, Berman, and Behr had great ideas here and there, but lacked consistency. Blaming that on Roddenberry sounds like an excuse. Why do you think that none of these producers produced a brand new sci-fi show of their own that rivaled the popularity of Star Trek? They needed Roddenberry, Roddenberry did not need them.

Roddenberry, along with Nimoy, Meyer, and Bennett built the foundations of Star Trek. People of all age groups watched their products.

If the current Star Trek writers stayed within Roddenberry’s Star Trekian vision, more people in more age groups would watch it, and Paramount would make more money.

That is not to say that Roddenberry never stifled Star Trek’s progression. He abandoned TOS during it’s third and final season and fell face first when given the opportunity to produce the big movie.

Nevertheless, Star Trek lost an irreplaceable creative element when The Great Bird of the Galaxy boldly flew to where no one has gone before.

To be fair to him as well I think you see all the TNG era series did take at least a couple of seasons before they really peaked plus early TNG was dealing with a lot of elements being recycled from the aborted 70's series which I think led to the rather confused tone and took more time for the characters to really hit their stride.

I would say as well that whilst he maybe pushed the "no conflicts" idea a bit too hard early on I suspect the fact he did so is really what helped shape the whole TNG era, things obviously relaxed somewhat after that but still I think the utopianism at the heart of TNG Trek was one of its fundamental characteristics. the TOS crew Trek films and Babylon 5 did present an alterative direction and I think did so sucessfully but the TNG movies and Nu Trek I think show you the depths that cheap conflict and grimdark for its own sake can sink to.

Last edited:
Roddenberry is main reason why trek is trek. Not writers whlriters were told imagine this future world and accordingly write the script these days these guys say imagine this future world and write accordingly and it is just shit show from discovery to nu trek

Despite that I love musicals, I normally hate it when dramatic shows do an out-of-the-blue musical episode. Not the case with Strange New Worlds. The music was fantastic, and while I'm not usually surprised to learn that actors have more diverse performance arts backgrounds than are known to me, because many have trained with ambitions to hit Broadway before hitting it even bigger as TV or Movie stars, I had no idea there was so much singing talent on the cast. Ethan Peck has a sensational voice. I guess that shouldn't be surprising considering how deeply resonant his speaking voice is. So it made sense when I Googled him that I learned he studied at the Experimental Theatre Wing at Tisch. He probably has at least a dozen classmates who are currently starring on and off Broadway. I was more surprised to learn that he is Gregory Peck's grandson.

Nor was I surprised to learn that Celia Rose Gooding majored in musical theater at Pace.

The opening number was my favorite. Ohura's solo was second.

I was surprised how much I liked it too. you could tell who was actually behind their own singing and who wasnt.

my favorite is the lower decks crossover. they played their live action just like their animated characters and I wasn't sure if that would work.

first time I saw Peck on discovery and saw his surname, I immediately though he must be related to Gregory. I'm not sold on his spock yet though.

favorite characters are Carol Kane's and Babs so far. Ortegas is growing on me too.

I was surprised how much I liked it too. you could tell who was actually behind their own singing and who wasnt.

my favorite is the lower decks crossover. they played their live action just like their animated characters and I wasn't sure if that would work.

first time I saw Peck on discovery and saw his surname, I immediately though he must be related to Gregory. I'm not sold on his spock yet though.

favorite characters are Carol Kane's and Babs so far. Ortegas is growing on me too.
I thought Babs Olusanmokun (as the Doctor) couldn't possibly have sung his part, but unless they are lying, no, in fact, the cast actually performed all their own parts. You can see this from the official soundtrack credits. There are no other performers listed (only the composers). Typically, when someone lip syncs, the actual performer will be listed on the soundtrack credits as you would see them on Spotify, Apple Music, or the Amazon store:

Christina Chong's solo was my third favorite piece. Apparently her career started in musical theater, and she only turned to acting due to an "injury".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Chong

To be fair to him as well I think you see all the TNG era series did take at least a couple of seasons before they really peaked plus early TNG was dealing with a lot of elements being recycled from the aborted 70's series which I think led to the rather confused tone and took more time for the characters to really hit their stride.

I would say as well that whilst he maybe pushed the "no conflicts" idea a bit too hard early on I suspect the fact he did so is really what helped shape the whole TNG era, things obviously relaxed somewhat after that but still I think the utopianism at the heart of TNG Trek was one of its fundamental characteristics. the TOS crew Trek films and Babylon 5 did present an alterative direction and I think did so sucessfully but the TNG movies and Nu Trek I think show you the depth that cheap conflict and grimdark for its own sake can sink to.

TNG did indeed take a few years to coalesce. But I still prefer the earlier years that were stamped with the touch of Roddenberry's daydreams. Beyond the stories, the greatest initiative that happened to Star Trek was the change to robust aesthetics. TNG Enterprise was the authentic luxury flagship of the distant future. You could write a ST show about almost anything and could count me in (there are only a few TNG episodes I won't watch).

MV5BZGE2NDc2ZjUtNjJkNS00ZjAwLTk3Y2UtOTgxZDNhOTAzMGM3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ3MjU3NTU@._V1_.jpg

EgxaE0nXcAA3mOw.jpg:large

TNG-S7E12-55.jpg

reunion-hd-267.jpg

92967968182_11.jpg

What I like about SNW is that it looks like they are ready to take the show anywhere, from a a very dark episode about PTSD and justice then a musical where Klingon sang and danced like they are a boy band. My wife isn't much of a fan of sci-fi and she find SNW quite enjoyable.

Roddenberry is main reason why trek is trek. Not writers whlriters were told imagine this future world and accordingly write the script these days these guys say imagine this future world and write accordingly and it is just shit show from discovery to nu trek
Discovery is garbage. Only the most stubborn don't acknowledge that. It was unfortunate, too, because I thought the first half of the pilot episode was extraordinary. I was willing to give the show its own berth. I didn't mind the extensive make-up that made the Klingons appear more alien than ever. Thought it worked to remind of us of how deeply different everyone is. And I thought the opening convention of Klingon royal houses was simply brilliant; consolidating their otherwise splintered culture around a centralizing ethos, "Remain Klingon", with their new messiah so eloquently articulating why the Federation was a threat to that, as he explained to everyone its most malicious and dangerous value was ingrained in its seemingly benign greeting..."We Come in Peace". Everything was downhill after that.

Similary, Picard started strong, with a great pilot, but immediately shit the bed. The first two seasons joined all of Discovery's as the worst in Trek history. I say that because I never watched the third season. Apparently it's fantastic, and somehow miraculously resurrected the shitshow. I don't care. I won't be watching it. They blew it with me.

But Strange New Worlds is a different creature. Anson Mount was the best thing to come out of Discovery, the fans collectively agreed on that, he was so good they gave him a spin-off as consolation for how badly they flubbed Discovery. And it's very much a Roddenberry-esque show. No more of the arc-based dramatic narratives. Each episode is a new adventure meditating on a specific philosophical, moral quandary. They mostly don't shove the feminazi or black power or LGBTQ stuff down your throat, but to be clear, the show was always supportive of those initiatives. It's just more artful, subtle, and congenial-- like the original Trek-- in how it supports those agendas. The show is very much optimistic about a crew of excellent people who love each other that genuinely desire to pursue those values, and to bring the best of what it is to be Human to the outer reaches of space. They help each other. They work together-- trust each other. They aren't narcissists. They don't self-pity. They're everything the crews were from TOS and TNG were, and everything that Michael Burnham wasn't.

With this show, I genuinly feel they listened. They realized how un-Trek Discovery and the first two seasons of Picard were. It's a return to Trek. I enjoy it.

Discovery is garbage. Only the most stubborn don't acknowledge that. It was unfortunate, too, because I thought the first half of the pilot episode was extraordinary. I was willing to give the show its own berth. I didn't mind the extensive make-up that made the Klingons appear more alien than ever. Thought it worked to remind of us of how deeply different everyone is. And I thought the opening convention of Klingon royal houses consolidating their otherwise splintered culture around a centralizing ethos, "Remain Klingon", with their new messiah so eloquently articulating why the Federation was a threat to that, as he explained to everyone its most malicious and dangerous value was ingrained in its seemingly benign greeting, "We Come in Peace", was just brilliant. Everything was downhill after that.

Similary, Picard started strong, with a great pilot, but immediately shit the bed. The first two seasons joined all of Discovery's as the worst in Trek history. I say that because I never watched the third season. Apparently it's fantastic, and somehow miraculously resurrected the shitshow. I don't care. I won't be watching it. They blew it with me.

But Strange New Worlds is a different creature. Anson Mount was the best thing to come out of Discovery, the fans collectively agreed on that, he was so good they gave him a spin-off as consolation for how badly they flubbed Discovery. And it's very much a Roddenberry-esque show. No more of the arc-based dramatic narratives. Each episode is a new adventure meditating on a specific philosophical, moral quandary. They mostly don't shove the feminazi or black power or LGBTQ stuff down your throat, but to be clear, the show was always supportive of those initiatives. It's just more artful, subtle, and congenial-- like the original Trek-- in how it supports those agendas. The show is very much optimistic about a crew of excellent people who love each other that genuinely desire to pursue those values, and to bring the best of what it is to be Human to the outer reaches of space. They help each other. They work together. They aren't narcissists. They don't self-pity. They're everything the crews were from TOS and TNG were, and everything that Michael Burnham wasn't.

With this show, I genuinly feel they listened. They realized how un-Trek Discovery and the first two seasons of Picard were. It's a return to Trek. I enjoy it.
Nothing is good in New trek because guys invisible new world of chaos and just on edge and some crazy people who would co.e.up.with that device that gay engineer would use to kill lol these new writers thought that is cool

Nothing is good in New trek because guys invisible new world of chaos and just on edge and some crazy people who would co.e.up.with that device that gay engineer would use to kill lol these new writers thought that is cool
sddefault.jpg

Yes it is phone auto correct. But nutrek is about disfunction society and Roddenberry trek was about utopia. How big of a jerk and hater you have to be to dismantle everything that made trek trek and fill it with dark stuff see I would not mind dark stuff it was in old trek but this new dark stuff is just immature

Yes it is phone auto correct. But nutrek is about disfunction society and Roddenberry trek was about utopia. How big of a jerk and hater you have to be to dismantle everything that made trek trek and fill it with dark stuff see I would not mind dark stuff it was in old trek but this new dark stuff is just immature
This is precisely one of the gripes I mentioned fans highlighted that was addressed with the latest series. Strange New Worlds does not portray a Federation paralyzed by dysfunction, corruption, or decay.

This is precisely one of the gripes I mentioned fans highlighted that was addressed with the latest series. Strange New Worlds does not portray a Federation paralyzed by dysfunction, corruption, or decay.
I just do not get it why would somebody fill young up and coming generation heads with decay disfunction or chaos and not with order and common sense . I just can not understand people of power reasoning for that

Started watching Lower Decks, crazy that the nostalgia triggers work as well as they do when it’s animated.

fun show

Started watching Lower Decks, crazy that the nostalgia triggers work as well as they do when it’s animated.

fun show

Yeah it's great. Season 4 has just started off great. Every episode is just packed with so much fun fan service.

I was just able to cancel and resubscribe to Paramount plus for 50%off plus got showtime thrown in. Just cancel then resubscribe and add the code FALL.

Patrick Stewart's autobiography,. Make it so, came out last week. I just finished the audio book and it was fantastic, and excellently narrated by Patrick. He apparently had a affair with the actress who played Vash, in captains holiday, and showed up a few more times through the years. Left his wife of 25 years to be with her.

Last edited:
Patrick Stewart's autobiography,. Make it so, came out last week. I just finished the audio book and it was fantastic, and excellently narrated by Patrick. He apparently had a affair with the actress who played Vash, in captains holiday, and showed up a few more times through the years. Left his wide of 25 years to be with her.
that Dana Plato looking gal who was an archeologist?

Patrick Stewart's autobiography,. Make it so, came out last week. I just finished the audio book and it was fantastic, and excellently narrated by Patrick. He apparently had a affair with the actress who played Vash, in captains holiday, and showed up a few more times through the years. Left his wide of 25 years to be with her.

I for one am glad that Picard was allowed to have sexual relations on the show. He was a bit of a fuddy duddy until Vash entered the picture. Though, he was likely having sex with all of the high ranking TNG women, behind the scenes. That was Roddenberry's vision.

b4e2efe390b6e06ff75f4783d5e75afa.jpg

I am not entirely surprised with Stewart. Jennifer Hetrick was on every trekkers mind, back in those days.

Back