Television The Star Trek Thread V6.0

nQKov3S.png

Here's some updates on the Sale of Paramount and it's assets. I think Skydance and David Ellison make an intriguing choice. Skydance has funded all the modern Star Trek films, and is known to be actor and creative focused, rather then you standard giant corperate conglomerate. David Ellison is a former actor himself, and is funded by his billionaire father, Larry Ellison.

Byron Allen is a former stand up comedian, who owns the weather channel, and a collection of other small channels and local stations.

Season 5, the final season of Discovery, is out today.

Season 5, the final season of Discovery, is out today.

How was the last season? To me, Strange New Worlds is the only good thing to come out of Discovery. I powered through the first three seasons but couldn't convince myself to continue into the fourth. But apparently Picard managed to course correct, so I'm wondering if that happened with Discovery (even though the time jump didn't help them at all IMO)

How was the last season? To me, Strange New Worlds is the only good thing to come out of Discovery. I powered through the first three seasons but couldn't convince myself to continue into the fourth. But apparently Picard managed to course correct, so I'm wondering if that happened with Discovery (even though the time jump didn't help them at all IMO)
I think Discovery has steadily improved throughout its run. They have jumped into the far future, so they don't have to mess with canon, and can kinda do there own thing. They have made Burnham a much better character in the past few seasons because she was horribly written early on.

If you haven't seen Picard season 3, do so. It's like an 8th season of TNG.

I gave the first episode a shot, but I'm glad this series will finally end. There are just no likable characters, and the writing and acting is just too cheesy and campy. It's impossible to take all of these universe threatening threats serious when there's a joke right around the corner every other minute. Everyone has the same style of 'quirky' joking and dialogue that doesn't fit at all on a starship.
Visually, they put a lot of work in the graphics and set, so it's a shame all of that is wasted.

The antiques trader syth fight was probabily the worst choreographed and illogical fight to ever grace the tv screen. Not only that he didnt hit anything when he shouldve decimated the two in seconds with plenty of backups in his own territory, nor that the two ninja-beat everyone.... it was the visible holding back,standing still and waiting for punch by the syth for like 2 second that was so obvious, like an extremely bad school play.
so pathetic
And the main actress ..., still whispering and making each scene over the top super emotional.

Last edited:

I think this is one of the better case scenarios for Star Trek. Skydance is known as an actors or creators studio, and they have actually financed all the recent Star Trek films.​

Paramount Reportedly Close To A Deal With Skydance​

paramountskydance-head.jpg

| APRIL 3, 2024 | BY: ANTHONY PASCALE 36 COMMENTS SO FAR
Things are really heating up regarding the potential sale of Paramount Global, who own the Star Trek franchise.

Is Paramount ready to (Sky)dance?​

Multiple outlets, including Bloomberg, the New York Times, and Deadline are reporting that Paramount has begun exclusive negotiations with Skydance for their bid to purchase the media company. This means that for the time being, they have rejected the earlier Apollo/Legendary Entertainment bid, which the Wall Street Journal and Variety report had risen to $26-27 Billion for the entire company. Skydance CEO David Ellison has been meeting with Shari Redstone, who owns a controlling share of Paramount Global’s voting stock, and has also met with Paramount Global’s special committee that assesses potential merger deals. Paramount Global stock shot up 15% in late trading on Wednesday after the reports of a tentative deal.
According to the reports, Skydance would first buy out Redstone’s National Amusements before taking over all of Paramount Global, without splitting it up. The exclusive window gives Paramount and Skydance 30 days to finalize a deal. As Paramount has been subject to takeover and sale interest, Redstone has shown preference for working with Ellison and Skdance, who have a pre-existing partnership that includes co-producing multiple feature films, including the last two Star Trek movies. Ellison is credited as an executive producer for both as well.

Skydance’s David Ellison at the premiere of Star Trek Beyond in 2016
As of now there are no details on what would happen to Paramount+, currently the home of streaming Star Trek originals. If Skydance were to take over all of Paramount Global, that would include the streamer. Recently, Paramount Global has set 2025 as the target year for the streaming service to turn a profit, which would potentially be around the same time as a complex deal like this could be completed.
For now, this is a developing story, but we will continue to monitor the latest business news and what it means for Star Trek fans.

Happy first contact day! Only 39 years until humanity makes first contact. We just need to get through WW3 and the eugenics war first...

I gave the first episode a shot, but I'm glad this series will finally end. There are just no likable characters, and the writing and acting is just too cheesy and campy. It's impossible to take all of these universe threatening threats serious when there's a joke right around the corner every other minute. Everyone has the same style of 'quirky' joking and dialogue that doesn't fit at all on a starship.
Visually, they put a lot of work in the graphics and set, so it's a shame all of that is wasted.

The writing sucks.

And then they just have to shoehorn some fat, ugly redheaded turd and 1 trans or nonbinary whatever couple for no apparent reason. The worse part is the stupid drama and relationship BS they put in instead of actual sci-fi concepts.

Last edited:
The writing sucks.

And then they just have to shoehorn some fat and unattractive girl and 1 trans person for no reason.
Yes, we're supposed to believe that this fat, goofball is a genius and is attracting studs. There's negative testosterone on this show, which is just nuts on a show that's all about action and fighting a bad guy that's trying to destroy the galaxy.
There's just no way this crew of pussies should be feared or tackling any serious threats.

Trek is techbabble disco is noncence babble. Most annoying thing ever. This burn event is basicly fossil fuel of star ships going out lol they took most annoying topics from current earth and took it too future

The writing sucks.

And then they just have to shoehorn some fat, ugly redheaded turd and 1 trans or nonbinary whatever couple for no apparent reason. The worse part is the stupid drama and relationship BS they put in instead of actual sci-fi concepts.

I expetced maybe he was in one of the ST novels.
He was in "The Fall" series from a few years back, that was pretty good. He survived the Dominion war and was recruited to join a Star Fleet secret agency called team 4, which was kinda like section 31, but was set up by Star Fleet.

First ST to ever stop watching. Not even worth skipping through. The story is ridiculously stretched out (a puzzle ? please...), the moral ambiguity of anything has less depth that a kindergarden scuffle, the characters are all void of anything charismatic and are 2 dimensional with an ocassional obvious slice of LTBC sandwitch. They do nothing but smile warmly or whisper and then smile. There is nothing like classic ST asking provoking ethical questions or ocassional skimming the edge of acceptable. Its all just stale, lukewarm predictable and acceptable content, boring as boring gets.

Back