Television The Star Trek Thread V6.0

Of course they will. How do you think they make their money.

By making like 99% non-Star Trek related videos?

I won’t complain if they cover it though, far from it. Their takedowns of the garbage posing as modern Trek are literally the only good silver lining to come out of it.

tenor.gif

By making like 99% non-Star Trek related videos?

I won’t complain if they cover it though, far from it. Their takedowns of the garbage posing as modern Trek are literally the only good silver lining to come out of it.

tenor.gif

Honestly if anything I suspect you might see them switch more towards TNG era Trek in the future as new content stays relatively rare, those favourite TNG episode videos(that both got plenty of views) were pretty much the only pre Abrams Trek they have covered directly to my memory, they did do First Contact but nothing else comes to mind.

Do we really need to keep seeing videos from this fraud? Maybe we can also share links from his white power, neo-nazi channel? Not a good source, or human being.
The event was live-streamed over multiple platforms. Those are cut up edits from the live stream posted hours later. The event cause #startrekday, to become the #2 top trending topic on earth that day. I'd say that's some pretty good publicity from a free live stream that was announced only a week prior.

Dude, come on. Let's be adults about this. That's not a speculation or rumor video. It's about hard numbers.

YouTube is the largest streaming platform and the second largest website in terms of traffic. It has a diverse base of regular users from across the globe, and it is a very good gauge of whether people actually give a shit about a particular show or franchise.

Let's examine another web-based series, which is currently in the middle of a season: The Boys.

If you go to Google Trends, it seems that quite a bit more people are currently running searches about The Boys than Lower Decks, which is in the middle of releasing its first season's episodes.

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 11.34.26 AM.png

Here's a video clip video from the second season of The Boys that was posted on Amazon Prime Video's UK channel yesterday. This is not the main Prime Video channel, but a secondary regional one that has less than half the number of subscribers that CBS All Access's YouTube channel has.

It's got nearly 70k hits in less than 24 hours. If you go to The Boys' videos on Amazon Prime Video's main YouTube channel, you'll see that all videos on The Boys-related topics, be they behind the scenes stuff, season promos, character breakdowns or clips from the show, have between a few hundred thousand and a couple of million views. That's because, unlike any of the current incarnations of Star Trek, The Boys is a show that people actually like and talk about with other fans online, so they go out actively searching for videos on the platform where it's easiest to find them.

There's no evidence whatsoever that anybody gives a shit about the Star Trek franchise at present besides the very small fanbase that NuTrek has cultivated since Discovery premiered. Videos that are critical of the franchise are likely to get ten times as many hits as videos about the shows that are currently in production.

That's not spin. It's just reality.

Last edited:
I just looked on You Tube. Those numbers are only a little higher (e.g. 3.4 K instead of 2.4 K). Those numbers aren't very good because franchises that draw cult followings often draw tens or hundreds of thousands of views. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/user/starwars

Maybe it is too soon to judge, and maybe he has a point. I have no idea if this poster is a "white supremacist" (as that term gets used like toilet paper these days), but it is irrelevant to whether or not he has a point on this matter.

The CBS All Access channel has over 200K subscribers and that was a heavily promoted event.

Those are pathetic numbers. If they're only doing a couple of thousand hits within the first 24 hours, then nobody cares.

Any video from one of the better known pop culture channels that does a takedown on the current incarnation of Star Trek will get a few hundred thousand hits in the first day.

The CBS All Access channel has over 200K subscribers and that was a heavily promoted event.

Those are pathetic numbers. If they're only doing a couple of thousand hits within the first 24 hours, then nobody cares.

Any video from one of the better known pop culture channels that does a takedown on the current incarnation of Star Trek will get a few hundred thousand hits in the first day.

CBS Streaming services to have a combined 16 million subscribers by year’s end, ViacomCBS CEO Bob Bakish told investors Thursday.

ViacomCBS’ subscription-streaming offerings ended 2019 with 11 million subscribers in total, a 50% gain over 2018. CBS Corp. previously forecast the two streaming services would reach 25 million subscribers by 2022. Bakish said the fourth quarter marked a record period of signups for CBS All Access, some of which was surely driven by anticipation for the Jan. 23 premiere of “Star Trek: Picard.”
They are laughing all the way to the bank

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/viacomcbs-cbs-all-access-showtime-streaming-subscribers-1203509035/

Dude, come on. Let's be adults about this. That's not a speculation or rumor video. It's about hard numbers.

YouTube is the largest streaming platform and the second largest website in terms of traffic. It has a diverse base of regular users from across the globe, and it is a very good gauge of whether people actually give a shit about a particular show or franchise.

Let's examine another web-based series, which is currently in the middle of a season: The Boys.

If you go to Google Trends, it seems that quite a bit more people are currently running searches about The Boys than Lower Decks, which is in the middle of releasing its first season's episodes.

View attachment 797776

Here's a video clip video from the second season of The Boys that was posted on Amazon Prime Video's UK channel yesterday. This is not the main Prime Video channel, but a secondary regional one that has less than half the number of subscribers that CBS All Access's YouTube channel has.

It's got nearly 70k hits in less than 24 hours. If you go to The Boys' videos on Amazon Prime Video's main YouTube channel, you'll see that all videos on The Boys-related topics, be they behind the scenes stuff, season promos, character breakdowns or clips from the show, have between a few hundred thousand and a couple of million views. That's because, unlike any of the current incarnations of Star Trek, The Boys is a show that people actually like and talk about with other fans online, so they go out actively searching for videos on the platform where it's easiest to find them.

There's no evidence whatsoever that anybody gives a shit about the Star Trek franchise at present besides the very small fanbase that NuTrek has cultivated since Discovery premiered. Videos that are critical of the franchise are likely to get ten times as many hits as videos about the shows that are currently in production.

That's not spin. It's just reality.

We've both debated this endlessly many times before, but Google trends isn't the most reliable source for tracking ratings, perticularly with star trek, due to there being so many variety of search terms, people look for. There have been many videos and articles posted on this. For example if you want to search for Discovery you may search, Star trek Discovery, Star Trek DSC, Star Trek STD, DSC, STD, New star Trek,, ect...

I understand some of you guys don't like new Star Trek, but to say they are getting bad rating is miss leading. Ever since DSC premiered so called "Insiders" have claimed the show is doing horrible, be canceled, Kurtzman been fired, selling the franchise to new networks, ect.. Only thing that happens is CBS keeps growing, and keep getting new series and early renewals for the current shows. I don't care how much money a corporation has, if a show isn't generating money from advertising, subscribers, or airing rights, the show won't continue to get made.

I don't love everything about new Star Trek. But I also like to remember to the past, when each of the new series, the so called " old fans" HATED, each new series, and would bitch about them for years. None of the post TOS shows would've survived in a era with message boards and social media. TNG first few seasons were pretty terrible in retrospect, outside a few standout episodes. If people actually watch the new shows, and don't like them, that's fine, but so many only watched one or two episodes, or based the show off the options of bloggers and youtubers. But that something bigger than Star Trek, and more a societal issue, these days. Everyone picks a side and claims a camp, whereas more people should look towards the middle.

We've both debated this endlessly many times before, but Google trends isn't the most reliable source for tracking ratings, perticularly with star trek, due to there being so many variety of search terms, people look for. There have been many videos and articles posted on this. For example if you want to search for Discovery you may search, Star trek Discovery, Star Trek DSC, Star Trek STD, DSC, STD, New star Trek,, ect...

I understand some of you guys don't like new Star Trek, but to say they are getting bad rating is miss leading. Ever since DSC premiered so called "Insiders" have claimed the show is doing horrible, be canceled, Kurtzman been fired, selling the franchise to new networks, ect.. Only thing that happens is CBS keeps growing, and keep getting new series and early renewals for the current shows. I don't care how much money a corporation has, if a show isn't generating money from advertising, subscribers, or airing rights, the show won't continue to get made.

I don't love everything about new Star Trek. But I also like to remember to the past, when each of the new series, the so called " old fans" HATED, each new series, and would bitch about them for years. None of the post TOS shows would've survived in a era with message boards and social media. TNG first few seasons were pretty terrible in retrospect, outside a few standout episodes. If people actually watch the new shows, and don't like them, that's fine, but so many only watched one or two episodes, or based the show off the options of bloggers and youtubers. But that something bigger than Star Trek, and more a societal issue, these days. Everyone picks a side and claims a camp, whereas more people should look towards the middle.

You are keeping us up to date on all the new Trek related news.
And, as some here don't like the direction it has taken,
you seem to be having a blast with DIscovery and all other new stuff.
Good for you man.
I'm still waiting to see a Trek series that continues after the Nemesis movie

Please confirm the name of the episode so I don't risk watching the wrong horrible thing

Full disclosure, I have not watched it myself yet. There is one line in a review that I quickly read over that makes believe you must watch it.

But get Buffy S5 done first imo

Please confirm the name of the episode so I don't risk watching the wrong horrible thing
I will need a full review. These guys tried to goat me into watching STD for months before realizing I wasn't going to take the bait. I regret now having given "Picard" a chance.

I have a feeling that all trust will be broken between yourself and @JDragon if this episode doesn't knock your socks off.

I will need a full review. These guys tried to goat me into watching STD for months before realizing I wasn't going to take the bait. I regret now having given "Picard" a chance.

I have a feeling that all trust will be broken between yourself and @JDragon if this episode doesn't knock your socks off.

I don't even know if the episode is good, but

When a huge shipwide failure occurs, Tendi and Rutherford are trapped with a rogue AI hologram program named "Badgey," who is basically an unholy mashup of that cutesy Microsoft Office paperclip "helper," and the Starfleet insignia.

Full disclosure, I have not watched it myself yet. There is one line in a review that I quickly read over that makes believe you must watch it.

But get Buffy S5 done first imo

Nah if I have to schedule 20 minutes of torture I'm getting it done now :p

I don't even know if the episode is good, but

When a huge shipwide failure occurs, Tendi and Rutherford are trapped with a rogue AI hologram program named "Badgey," who is basically an unholy mashup of that cutesy Microsoft Office paperclip "helper," and the Starfleet insignia.
I see.

Back