The Soviet school of boxing

Jhf - Ward is not chopped liver, but he's ONE guy. If you think back to prior days of American Amateur Boxing, our team would churn out 2 or 3 Andre Wards, and 2 or 3 guys better than that.

Lomanchenko is getting so much credit for this. Ahh the internet. Kostya Tszyu was being filmed doing it in the 90's. And he was better at it.

Tszyu is exactly who I was reminded of. The videos of him using unique training methods--the tennis ball hat, catching coins off the back of his hand, spinning to train equilibrium, etc.--are some of my favorite training videos out there.

Kostya Tszyu is one of my all-time favorite boxers.

P.S. I'm totally going to make myself one of those hats as well. Could be fun to use for a round in place of shadowboxing.

I made one this week. I'm sidelined from sparring for a while so I'm trying to be creative and find as many drills as possible. It's a fun drill and it cost me $3 for materials and less than an hour to make.

Do you have a tutorial? And what kind of material did you use as a string?

Do you have a tutorial? And what kind of material did you use as a string?

Picked up some elastic cord (I think that's how it's labeled) in the craft section of Wal Mart. I went with the 1/4" thickness to has some sturdiness to it. They have elastic thread, but it looked like it would snap. They sell it in 5' lengths which is more than enough. Cut it to a length a little longer than forehead to waist length to allow some slack. Took a tennis ball and poked a hole with a cork screw. Tied a big not in the end of the cord and forced into the hole with a pen. Tied the other end to the sizing band of an old hat, left the length so the ball fell right above waist level. Presto! Like I said $2 and change and about 45 minutes including gathering materials and construction.

Work with it for about 20 minutes a day.

Hope that makes sense. Enjoy!

Picked up some elastic cord (I think that's how it's labeled) in the craft section of Wal Mart. I went with the 1/4" thickness to has some sturdiness to it. They have elastic thread, but it looked like it would snap. They sell it in 5' lengths which is more than enough. Cut it to a length a little longer than forehead to waist length to allow some slack. Took a tennis ball and poked a hole with a cork screw. Tied a big not in the end of the cord and forced into the hole with a pen. Tied the other end to the sizing band of an old hat, left the length so the ball fell right above waist level. Presto! Like I said $2 and change and about 45 minutes including gathering materials and construction.

That is really helpful, thank you! Im gonna give it a try.

I always think of it like this, in Russia boxing is a martial art, In the us its a game.

was going to ask the same question...thanks

I always think of it like this, in Russia boxing is a martial art, In the us its a game.

Erm, I think I might see what you're trying to say, but go to any real boxing gym that's stuck in the most run down, no hope ghetto in some random run down, no hope city like so many of the best of them are, and see how many of those kids think it's a "game."

I can't agree with this or see where you're coming from. No one In my gym treats boxing like a game.

Bumping this because I made two of those things for my guys, check it out. Keep in-mind two things. 1) One of them is doing it for the first time, the other for the second. 2) Before you're too amazed by that, the one thing both of these guys have in common is very good hand-eye coordination naturally. That said, the concept of teaching straight punching is very important to aptitude at this:

Made a couple of these things for the guys:

Dude in the blue shorts seem to have shorter cord in his training device
think.gif

Dude in the blue shorts seem to have shorter cord in his training device
think.gif

Shorter arms, shorter torso, shorter experience = shorter cord.

I can't agree with this or see where you're coming from. No one In my gym treats boxing like a game.

I dont mean to say its a joke, I mean to say its thought of from more of a perspective of a game in the sense that some one might think of football or basketball. If this makes any sense, boxers in the US seem meta game more so than Russian or eastern trained boxer do.

I dont mean to say its a joke, I mean to say its thought of from more of a perspective of a game in the sense that some one might think of football or basketball. If this makes any sense, boxers in the US seem meta game more so than Russian or eastern trained boxer do.

I agree with you.

Well, the problem is boxing being looked at as a quick, easy way to make a buck.

If you mean they get into it for slightly different reasons I'll give you that

Hilarious video from from competition in Ukraine :)

[YT]d6VIsZ7kRso[/YT]

Boris... what am I watching right now? Lol. I'm about halfway in and I can't decide if Red is just clowning the hell out of the guy, or if he's watched too many kung fu movies and has some kind of physical Tourettes.

:))
"Red" guy is a world class amateur ... If I am not mistaken , he is\was a member of ukrainian olympic team.

"Blue" guy is just an average amateur boxer.

The fight is hilarious not only because of the difference in class, but because
"blue" guy looks afraid of his famous opponent.

Back