The Soviet school of boxing

Sorry for being a liitle bit off topic.

I wonder what you\other guys think about this Teofilo Stevenson fight against soviet boxer Zaev ... I tried to get some answers in another thread, bu nobody responded.

Is the tactic that Zaev used to occupy Stevenson jab worth trying to develop ?

Why it worked so well against 3-time Olimpic champion who on top of that had a good jab and big reach advantage ?

Why nobody can execute the same against Klichko ?

[YT]AEgKQXP5j30[/YT]

One thing I always wondered about this fight is that I thought parrying the jab with your lead hand is bad technique and that you're supposed to do it with your rear hand?

What exactly is he accomplishing there, except allowing Stevenson to paw with impunity?

The fact that he's so much shorter than the Cuban gives that technique a little more viability, but he doesn't seem to be punishing Stevenson for jabbing, just blocking the jab. And he basically gives up his own jab in the process, whereas that punch would have been a very effective counter and entry.

Stevenson's jab looks incredibly frustrating, by the way. He was an amazing boxer.

What exactly is he accomplishing there, except allowing Stevenson to paw with impunity?

The fact that he's so much shorter than the Cuban gives that technique a little more viability, but he doesn't seem to be punishing Stevenson for jabbing, just blocking the jab. And he basically gives up his own jab in the process, whereas that punch would have been a very effective counter and entry.

Stevenson's jab looks incredibly frustrating, by the way. He was an amazing boxer.

I think it's a legit strategy. WHat he accomplished? He took his opponents jab away almost completely it made the fight similar to a southpaw vs orthodox matchup in that neither fighter can use his jab properly he gave up his own jab to take away his opponents jab since he probably thought he wasn't going to awin a battle of jabs anyway with the reach disadvantage so yes I think it can be a legit stragety in many situations

I think it's a legit strategy. WHat he accomplished? He took his opponents jab away almost completely it made the fight similar to a southpaw vs orthodox matchup in that neither fighter can use his jab properly he gave up his own jab to take away his opponents jab since he probably thought he wasn't going to awin a battle of jabs anyway with the reach disadvantage so yes I think it can be a legit stragety in many situations

Not trying to be a pain in the butt or derail this interesting convo, but as a southpaw i know that the jab is equally effective against orthodox fighters as it is against other southpaws.

Posted this before but can't find the thread.

Counter punching

Side steps

It looked to me that he was somewhat successful with parrying Stevenson jab with his lead hand and then jabbing himself to the head and body.

He also was able to land some straight right hands to the body off that parrying\blocking technique.

And after all fight was pretty close, when at those time Stevenson was killing people in the ring.

Don't you think that points #1 and #2 were good accomplishments ? I am actually not quite sure myself ... Never saw shorter guy do anything like that ....

If being jabbed to death, attacking the jabbing arm is a viable option.

That is what I thought .. In addition, it looks like he was able to land something as well ...

It is like if somebody with HUGE reach disadvantage will fight Klichko and will lose a close fight on points while nullifying his jab. It will be amazing achievment ..

But somehow it never happens :)

It's an excellent video if you're interested in learning to nullify the jab. Seeing as I'm a stocky motherfucker for my weightclass (hell I'm stocky for the weightclass below me), that's gold lol.

Were there any notable Soviet or Cuban fighters who worked primarily on the inside, lots of hooks and such? I've added some of the footwork, posture and balance of the style to mine and it's already helped tremendously. Is there anyone who fights like this that i can look to for some offensive tricks?

Joel Casamayor wasnt bad on the inside at all, neither was Odlanier solis when he was in the Amateurs.

It's an excellent video if you're interested in learning to nullify the jab. Seeing as I'm a stocky motherfucker for my weightclass (hell I'm stocky for the weightclass below me), that's gold lol.

Interesting thing is, that I have never seen shorter boxers do something like that.

Not sure why, but there should be a reason.
I also feel that if Stevenson would throw his jab from the bottom (like Mayweahter or Malignaggi) , this tactic would not work. Not sure ...

Basically, I signed up to Sherdog to get answer on those questions :) But surprisingly, nobody is interested in the f..cking anomaly that happened in that fight :)

Last edited:
Honestly I wish I had a better answer for ya buddy. All i can really say is that it looks like the Russian guy pretty much figured out that there were three things that made Stevenson damn near impossible to beat- his jab, the right hand off of that jab, and how difficult he was to hit.

So basically he decided to attack Stevenson's weapon- the jab- rather than Stevenson himself. Doing that allowed him to be more in control of the rhythm than he otherwise would have, and denied Stevenson his customary setup for his nuclear right hand. Otherwise, he pretty much chose to go to the body with the right because Stevenson was hard to hit in the head, and very good at countering straight punches to the head with his own right hand.

Problem is the American system has significantly degraded in the past decade. Hence, no Olympic success. Also, there's not really a distinct young American standout. Mayweather is 36. Mosley is done. Hopkins is almost Broner is okay, but he's more sizzle than steak. Bradley is as good as the recent Amateur system here has produced, and he recently almost got knocked out by an underdog in Provodnikov (sp).
What's Andre Ward--chopped liver? He's the best thing America has produced in a while.

The problem is largely the coaches. But also the talent pipeline has been slowly drying up in America for years, and the athletic young boxers we do have are frequently steered away from going into the olympics.

A thing to remember about Cuba and other Communist countries is that their best amateurs _stay_ amateur (or risk their lives defecting). It produces a good boxing program, obviously. Before America's program went downhill, America did much better in the Olympics than the USSR, despite the multiple advantages the USSR program held (national training all together, athletes stayed amateur, etc.). But America's boxing programs ain't what they once were--the golden age of boxing (in terms of knowledge and technique) was probably America sometime in the first half of the twentieth century.

Thought I'd bump this thread with a video of Lomachenko training using some of the same tools I've seen other Russian boxers use. Thanks to The King AJ for posting this first. Very interesting.

Jhf - Ward is not chopped liver, but he's ONE guy. If you think back to prior days of American Amateur Boxing, our team would churn out 2 or 3 Andre Wards, and 2 or 3 guys better than that.

Thought I'd bump this thread with a video of Lomachenko training using some of the same tools I've seen other Russian boxers use. Thanks to The King AJ for posting this first. Very interesting.

Lomanchenko is getting so much credit for this. Ahh the internet. Kostya Tszyu was being filmed doing it in the 90's. And he was better at it.

Last edited:
Jhf - Ward is not chopped liver, but he's ONE guy. If you think back to prior days of American Amateur Boxing, our team would churn out 2 or 3 Andre Wards, and 2 or 3 guys better than that.

Lomanchenko is getting so much credit for this. Ahh the internet. Kostya Tszyu was being filmed doing it in the 90's. And he was better at it.

I have a video on youtube of Tszyu doing all kinds of interesting shit- flipping quarters off his hands and then catching them as an accuracy and speed drill, etc.

To Lomachenko's credit, at least he tells that hot little reporter broad that tons of fighters do that shit, even if it isn't for cameras

I'm going to make myself one of those tennis ball hats

I made one this week. I'm sidelined from sparring for a while so I'm trying to be creative and find as many drills as possible. It's a fun drill and it cost me $3 for materials and less than an hour to make.

Back