The scoring value of a "take down" in the eyes of UFC judges

If no significant work (position advancement, submission advancement, significant strikes) has occurred in 30 seconds, there should be a mandatory stand up. The same should apply to clinches against the cage. This would effectively eliminate significant stalling.

The actual takedown should be weighted between 1 and 5 signicant strikes, depending on how vioent it is.

This was worth logging on. Unified rules explain what should be done.

But, too much subjective decision making. How about just score a successful takedown equal to a significant strike? That's it. All you're doing is controlling where the fight goes. Presumably, the take down results in an advantage. Isn't that good enough?

But a quick recovery has to account for something, it means the opponent was able to recover without taking significant damage or being severely compromised. That's why the element of control needs to be judged accordingly. You can't get outstruck for majority of the round and expect to steal the round off of one takedown.
Yeah... what I said. Agree.

<PandaHi75>a little trolley....

Disagree. A take down, as with the Judo throw, shows the opponent's loss of ability to control the fight,,, even if it is only temporary. It's shows that your opponent is vulnerable to being taken out of their element.[<cena1}
What about when the fighter is immediately able to get up? Is that not a form of controlling the fight? Should that hold scoring value?

All takedowns are equal but some takedowns are more equal than others

A takedown should not be scored by itself it's what you do with it.

I think you should even be penalise if you get reversed or damage on the bottom or even stuffed repeatedly.

Some takedown should not be worth shit.
Like the takedown from Marlon against Aldo where he was sleeping on top of Aldo
The takedowns from Askren against Maia (Reversed and put in sub attemps repeatedly)
The takedown from Edson vs Felder in the rematch in the second round. Felder sliced Barboza up
The takedowns from Romero against Costa (0 top control)

In the eyes of the judges takedowns are worth more the closer to the end of the round they are.

I have no reason as to why this should be, but feel free to convince me it isn't true.

To me, a takedown by itself is the same as controlling center of the cage and advancing. Yeah, it counts for something, but should only sway a round if nothing else more significant happened, which is rare.

For instance, I thought moraes won because what he did in winning the striking exchanges was more significant than Aldo’s advancing and aggression.

This would legit make the sport better.

Im not even kidding
If you have someone getting lit up on the feet and they spam TDs trying to 'win the judges' for 1 that does nothing on the ground. There needs to be an equal punishment for failing at a cheap tactic.

Its up to the judges to know what they are seeing. If a fighter can con them by doing that,we need better judges.

I have no problems with last minute takedowns if the fighter has complete control for ten seconds.

I have no problems with last minute takedowns if the fighter has complete control for ten seconds.
Nah it becomes a cop out for fighters to take no risks for most of the round.

Nah it becomes a cop out for fighters to take no risks for most of the round.

But imagine any fighter with a specific strength, like someone having a straight jab to the body that lands cleanly, doesn’t hurt but isn’t exactly a baby punch, you have to have some way to score people landing techniques.... I’m just saying no to bullcrap, flash takedowns. In the end, if it was all about who really ran from who or who pushed the fight, it’s always gonna be some damn judge trying to score it. So it’s not like we can get rid of them from the loop.

Complete control takedowns are hard to do for ten seconds (in my perfect world) at the end of a round, it’s not a given. I’m not trying to hand over fights to guys trying to game the system either. It would also force the “Striker” to get more work down to off set a last minute takedown.

Judges score the overall mood of the fight. If it is a very close fight, then a TD regardless of impact will sway most judges. If it is easier to tell who is winning the fight, then the TD will not be rated that highly.

It is the same with strikes. If the fight is close, then the fighter with the fewer but heavier shots will get the nod over the fighter with "weak" volume point striking.

In other words, judges are scoring impact of technique over quantity. Impact techniques like a TDs, knock downs, pinning opponent against the fence, and strikes that snap the opponent's head are much more easier to see in a close fight.

Back