The Rubber Guard and High Guard have endless possibilites...

I also like rubbergaurd. I mean there is obviously a time and a place for it and you have to be careful who you are trying to do it on, but I think it does set up a lot of good submissions. I especially like going rubber gaurd to uma plata. Being a big guy, they never expect it. Then again it is hard as hell to pull off. But I'm a striker at heart so maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

An old thread revived ... but it's always fun to read somebody discovering a technique/set-up/style that's really working for them ... Hell, it's what we're all after, anyway ...

I started using rubber guard after reading the book. Even when you're partner knows you're going for the omoplata, there's little he can do really. If you stay tight enough on his arm, the least you'd get is side mount.

But really, the best part of Eddie's book is his half-guard sweeps. Rubber guard becomes mediocre compared to his half-guard stuff, in my opinion.

every person in this thread needs to read mastering the rubber guard by eddie bravo...order from www.victorybelt.com for the earliest shipping...and the review is linked in my sig...GL

i dont know about rubber guard. at first i thought it looked really cool, but whenever someone tries it on my i just break it apart because my back, arm and leg muscles > your gable grip. maybe i just need to meet someone good at it, but i dont see a point in it anymore.

tudor_bjj said:
I've pulled the twister on a 110 kg guy, learning it just by watching footage of Eddie. I think that by studying his fights I know more details about the twister than reading his book. I have the book and I've recommend it on this forum. But for me it's not the Bible :)

You sound like a basic hater to me. =/

Bravo does this thing for a living, so he markets his talent. Most of the Gracies did the same thing.

The popularity of the rubber guard has more positives than negatives, and even though you trash the "new" positions you dont seem to have anything insightful to add.

I dont know anything about Bravo or the rubberguard, but it would be stupid to avoid advancing your game just because it was too popular.

Funny, I was holding my leg similar to this in practice today (won't call it the rubber guard b/c I was probably doing it wrong). I got into it as I was setting up for a triangle from guard and my opponent tried to pass and I used it to hold him til I could sweep. Then I come across this thread, so I had to order the book. I am looking forward to learning the details!

Haha. I actually don't use rubber guard, like, ever anymore. This thread was written when I was a fan of more complicated groundwork. Lately, if you've read my other threads, I've been reverting to basics in groundfighting; basic BJJ and the like.

Rubber guard is still cool though.

Iceman5592 said:
Haha. I actually don't use rubber guard, like, ever anymore. This thread was written when I was a fan of more complicated groundwork. Lately, if you've read my other threads, I've been reverting to basics in groundfighting; basic BJJ and the like.

Rubber guard is still cool though.

haha me too, i dont use it anymore, but not because i think its unefective. Im just exploring other things right now, Im sure ill come back to it.

Eddies rubber guard and half guard stuff is pretty awesome. When used in conjunction with other guards (closed, butterfly, etc.) having a good rubber guard and half guard can make you pretty dangerous

I figured I'd try to bring this thread back for olden times sake

This thread has been brought back too many times as it is......

eddie's half-guard stuff is insanely awesome.

rubber guard is awesome .. its not basic so people sometimes forget to expect it

How in the hell would somebody use a guard that it's not designed for sweeps also? JJ is about improving your postion! It's about something that it's close to what can happen in the street. OK, maybe you are doing it for fun, but butterfly or X-guard or half guard (not with lockdown, please) are way more fun, than trying to hold a guy and get a lousy sub.
Please guys, go to the gym next time and do an MMA sparring (light) and then come here and post if your marvellous guard worked against a guy who is pounding you. And I'm not talikng about a guy that knows how to GNP!

Hi Tudor

Eddie Bravos stuff does deviate highly from the type of bjj (royler gracie traditional style) we learnt from Eddie Kone but there is still some usefull stuff in there. It is an excellent controll position and there are many submission opportunities from there. Also getting a high guard in general, controlling their posture is much more usefull than allowing them to sit up where it is usually easier for them to defend submissions.

Some of these new techniques should at least be practiced even if you are not going to use it. I have seen good bjj guys get caught by techniques that come from untraditional setups, so they have to be learnt to at least to defend against them.

The thing I do aggree with is that basics should be learnt first and it shouldn't be so obsessed on that you neglect other important parts of the bjj game such as passing the guard etc.

why didnt I read this post back in 2005. No one played rubberguard back then and didnt even know of it!

Tudor BJJ,

Gerald has never been pounded into submission while in his guard in any of his mma fights and has finished quite a few opponents from his guard including a rubber guard triangle from the meathook(GC Rumble on the Rockies).

I know my numbers were off in my guard analogy earlier in this thread, but my point of that was, what ever the real numbers are, there are WAY more submissions from the guard in The Mundials compared to ADCC.

And the reason for that is that most of the competitors don't spend nearly enough time perfecting their guards with overhooks, underhooks and head control as they do with collars and sleeves.

Eddie if your still out there I think some of his annoymosity towards you is coming from the fact that his instructor (incidently also called Eddie) is a direct student of Royler Gracie. As you probably know, many bjj guys have similar feelings because of your comments about the gi amongst others. Many of them believe that you are saying that their styles of jiu jitsu are redundant and they believe that you are saying that your techniques are the only way to go.

I have met Tudor before and he seemed to be a very nice guy so im not sure why he is getting so worked up about the rubber guard and about yourself.

They also believe that you have stolen techniques that had been invented by other people and passed them of as your own.

To be honest, even if you did see someone else doing it first, you still put these techniques into the bjj public attention which I think people should be giving you props for. Also naming the techniques can perhaps take away the confusion of trying to explain what techniques you are talking about.

I didn't think much of these techniques untill I saw people using them and tried a few myself. I think Shinya Aokis performance is a good example to all people out there that the rubber guard is applicable to mma.

Back