The Rubber Guard and High Guard have endless possibilites...

tudor_bjj said:
This is how I think this conversation should have been done: with arguments. And all of us could have learned more, esp. that the guy that everything revolves around could have point out many good things. I train only no gi (although I advise people do to them both) esp. cause I wanna fight MMA and I'm training guys for that (one of my students will fight in a show here in one month). But I don't think that I'm a good example if the rg it's good for MMA (yes, I tried to use it in MMA sparring). I think a guy who learn it from the source it's the perfect example. And Gerald Strebendt (Eddie's student), didn't win even one fight with a sub from rubber. Actually if you watch some of his fights in GC he got pretty punded trying to work the rg. RG like any other stuff in MA it's perfect in theory. But before you triangle him (for ex.) you have to do at least five things. In this period of time he can punch you with both hands (pls don't forget the hammer fists!)and from one moment with one hand (after you overhook one arm).
Something else that might hinder is actually how often you've used rubber guard. Eddie's done it a lot (obviously) and he gotten it to work for him. I'm sure nobodies guard game is actually good when they start, it's something they have to work on.

The hammerfist thing... I don't think you have room to hammerfist if your bodies are almost in contact, and pretty much the second you get into RG, you get into mission control, which overhooks one of the hands.

I'd like to see these fights tho and take a more objective look at what a longtime practitioner of RG can do in MMA.

@ Soulfly
If you read this boards carefully, there are a lot of people that disagree with Eddie's conceptions.
@ Kawlinz
That's why I'm not sure I'm a good example, although Mission Control, stricto senso it doesn't imply overhooking the arm. That's the next step that you want to take to become offensive. Mission Control in MMA in my opinion is good for stalling, stoping him from punching you real hard and/or get to something offensive = overhooking etc.
If you worked a lot the guard in MMA sparring, you' ve probably seen the hands do the hard job of blocking the punches and then (as in no gi) setting up subs. In Mission Control you start by using the hands to control your leg and obviously him, but he has room to punch you. Even there are not devastating punches, but they are getting you tired, do some damage and also score on the eyes of the ref.

At least you read the book and tried it :D

Kawlinz said:
At least you read the book and tried it :D
I've pulled the twister on a 110 kg guy, learning it just by watching footage of Eddie. I think that by studying his fights I know more details about the twister than reading his book. I have the book and I've recommend it on this forum. But for me it's not the Bible :)

Why are people not trying it at that level in competitions? Because its new!. When did we all hear about it? 2003 when he defeated Royler. As opposed to the closed guard that has been used since... who knows. 2 years have most of us known about the ruber guard. BJJ Sub grappling and MMA fights are not all going to use the rubber guard, why? not because its not effective, but because it just came out. Ive seen it in MMA already, but dont expect everyone to start using it, and dont doubt its effectiveness in MMA because you dont see guys like Randy, chuck, Vanderlei, fedor... etc using it. keep an open mind, your ignorace is laughable. You say you dont bash Eddie, but read your post. Have you read what youve wrote? Read your signature. You need to get over whatever little grudge you have against Eddie and the rubberguard and open your mind. My best guess is that you are 16-18 years old. well im done posting in this thread your ignorace is unbelievable i would just be wasting my time continuing and i would be making this thread, that was made to help people out, worse. If you disagree with a thread stay out of if, dont go creating signatures displaying your strong opposition for the thread. Seriously man grow up.

tudor_bjj said:
Daymn, I hate the day when Royler had the worst day of his life!

Stop re-living the past and move on.

No disrespect to Eddie but I also don't think the rubber guard is all that revolutionary as people were doing it before him and in a fight, trying to put somebody in it is the last thing I'd want to do. If I wanted to learn how to use the guard in MMA, I'd trust BTT, Renzo, Penn and Charuto, etc. people who have used the guard in a fight and have been successful.

@ Resendiz
This is the end of 2005. It's been 2 years since Eddie tapped Royler using the rubber. How much time people need to start using it, if it's such a marvellous stuff? 10, 20 years?
But please don't leave the thread! Please, please, please! We will miss you so much!!! :icon_cry2
@ Stooge
keep an open mind, your ignorace is laughable. You need to get over whatever little grudge you have against Eddie and the rubberguard and open your mind. My best guess is that you are 16-18 years old. well im done posting in this thread your ignorace is unbelievable i would just be wasting my time continuing and i would be making this thread, that was made to help people out, worse. If you disagree with a thread stay out of if... Here it's not democracy! Viva la revolucion!

tudor_bjj said:
How in the hell would somebody use a guard that it's not designed for sweeps also? JJ is about improving your postion! It's about something that it's close to what can happen in the street. OK, maybe you are doing it for fun, but butterfly or X-guard or half guard (not with lockdown, please) are way more fun, than trying to hold a guy and get a lousy sub.
Please guys, go to the gym next time and do an MMA sparring (light) and then come here and post if your marvellous guard worked against a guy who is pounding you. And I'm not talikng about a guy that knows how to GNP!

We get it. You love Royler, you hate Eddie. Now quit trolling.

tudorbjj is becoming a very unpopular character. why can't he ever just get along?

johil d'o said:
tudorbjj is becoming a very unpopular character. why can't he ever just get along?

Maybe by not bashing one of the most revered masters of the art who happens to show the courtesy of coming and caring about all the strangers on this board, I dunno, but I guess Eddie is just trying to "market" his product.

I wish Tudor would shut up and realize how lucky we are. I wish Royler posted here, too, but just because he doesn't doesn't mean I won't appreciate the interface with Eddie.

Hmm.. he's only getting hated on for not dickriding. I love watching Eddie Bravo too, but just because he posts here doesn't mean I'll have to impress him by arguing for him. Tudor is making good points, if you can't argue it then just read the thread instead of just randomly calling people a troll for differing in opinion.

Madmick said:
We get it. You love Royler, you hate Eddie. Now quit trolling.
Actually, I "love" JJ Machado. His style, to put it in a non-erotic word. I'll wait for the arguments, BTW...

I just learned the rubber guard a a few submissions from it. I've been bugging a friend of mine to show it to me for a week, and the rubber guard really seems to rock! It feels a lot more secure to me than the regular guard. I hope it works well in randori tomorrow!

We practiced three submissions. Two of them was rubber guard to triangle and rubber guard to omoplata. The third was something we figured out and we called a "provolone gratter." It may or may not work well in reality (we just found it during practice). If anyone knows what this move is called or should be, please tell me!

It starts with the rubber guard, but instead of a deep overhook you use an underhook (if I remember correctly), and you also secure the opponent's arm by keeping his wrist between your head and shoulder like in an elbow press. Then if the opponent tries to pull his head out, you twist slightly to the side, take the top of your rubber-leg's foot and put it on the guy's throat (to secure your leg), and do the elbow press. Submission from grating the tricep or from hyperextending the elbow.

It seemed to work a few times, but we didn't get a chance to test it in randori, and we only got to a position to use the rubber guard itself a few times while sparring. Is this move simular to anything anyone else knows? Will this (probably not) work in the wild?

Even if that crazy move is worthless, the other submissions from the rubber guard were great! It felt really solid and easy to get. I can't wait to experiment with it!

Rubber guard works in MMA and some times it doesn't. It just depends on who is using it and who is on top. It's just like the regular closed guard, someitmes people can work it (Nog), and sometimes people can't (a lot of people). Personally, I find the rubbre guard good for keeping the guy from posturing up to hit me and I work subs from it. If I am not doing that, I am using high guard and overhooking the arms and using head control to keep guys from punching me. I have an offensive guard for people who aren't hitting me much, and I use my guard defensively or for sweeps when people are just swinging for the fences. There is a lot of aggression on this thread. Maybe we can start a thread for Tudor-bjj about his feelings about bravo or the rubber guard. Actually I'm going to do just that.

Cynic said:
Eddie is a mastermind.
I bought his book and started out immedeatly with the rubber guard and his half guard techniques.
I found out a good choke from the rubber guard ;

When you have your leg behind your opponents neck, bring it pass his head as if going for omoplata then switch back to the rubber guard but this time with your shin bone under your opponents throat, bring your both hands behind his neck and pull his head towards your shin bone while lifting your leg to create more pressure and force to his throat.
One key point though, one of your hands should go from under your own leg to your opponents neck, if you are choking him with your left leg bring your left hand under your leg to your opponents neck.
If someone is interested in this technique I can post some photos to clear things up..

Eddie rules!

Yeah :eek::eek::eek: way to take props for somone elses move. I learned this shit half year ago gj.

SideofKO said:
Maybe we can start a thread for Tudor-bjj about his feelings about bravo or the rubber guard. Actually I'm going to do just that.
Nooo! Don't do such a stupid thing! STOP IT RIGHT THERE!
Daymn... he just did it!

Dude rubber guard is a fucking joke. I invited a few people from another jiu jitsu school to come do their rubber guard shit. Wow all I can say is it really must be how your body is built cuz that shit does not work for everyone. Instead of you dumbfucks looking for almighty new moves that look really weird why not get your basics down? You dont see Roger Gracie working some 'rubber guard' or 'high guard' shit... you never saw Rickson or Royce do it... Never seen any of the legends do it. No disrespect but yeah Eddie you submitted Royler, wupdy fucking do, but I remember you were getting your ass kicked on points before you got that triangle.

Tyboeski said:
Dude rubber guard is a fucking joke. I invited a few people from another jiu jitsu school to come do their rubber guard shit. Wow all I can say is it really must be how your body is built cuz that shit does not work for everyone. Instead of you dumbfucks looking for almighty new moves that look really weird why not get your basics down? You dont see Roger Gracie working some 'rubber guard' or 'high guard' shit... you never saw Rickson or Royce do it... Never seen any of the legends do it. No disrespect but yeah Eddie you submitted Royler, wupdy fucking do, but I remember you were getting your ass kicked on points before you got that triangle.
You realize that points are only in place to decide who's the winner 'incase a submission doesn't happen'. They're an evil familiar, only there to stop stalemates because of timelimits. Points don't matter if submissions take precidence over them. You can get 10,000 points and it wouldn't matter if I subbed you with 3 seconds on the clock, I was still the winner.

Tyboeski said:
Yeah :eek::eek::eek: way to take props for somone elses move. I learned this shit half year ago gj.

I do not remeber saying I invented the move.
Your fathomless wisdom seems to have taken a U-turn with your very "adult-like" reply full of teen rage.

Peace

He says it's someone elses move (shembri iirc) and that it just applies very well with his rubber guard.

Back