The Rubber Guard and High Guard have endless possibilites...

It is pretty weird seeing Matt Thornton post a very long amount about how awesome RG is.

I'm guessing it isn't the same Matt Thornton you're thinking of: just to clarify, it was posted by amateur fighter Matt Thornton (Massachusetts), not SBG Matt Thornton (Portland, Orgeon).

i love to hear what the guy has to say about it now so many years later... or did i miss his update somewhere in here?

Definitely invest the 11 dollars. I am such an instructional junkie. Barely any of the moves I used weren't learned from instructionals. I like to take stuff from anywhere I can get it and just progressively add it into my arsenal, then spend the majority of my time at the gym sparring and rolling. It's made me progress REALLY fast.

Where did u find it for 11 dollars??

did notttt realize how old this thread was. shit

katt-williams-o.gif

I believe it will be hard for you to create a good guard if you don't have any understanding of the principles behind all moves, and if you do you would already be using a variation of a high guard.

But basically high-guard is locking one shoulder with your leg and then crossing the other for a normal guard. Rubber guard on the other hand isn't really worth talking about if you want to do straight BJJ. The entire rubber guard was made for MMA/no-gi to find a way to keep control of the posture of your opponent without needing superhero wriststrength. Easiest exactly what it is would be to go on to a website called youtube.com and type the name in.(That this is new to a selected few people amazes me.)

Dude I was just asking a question, there is no need to be an asshole about it, I am an avid grappler and just wanted to know if there were any other variations of the high guard. Yes I have looked on youtube.com for high guard but I wanted to create a high guard that was somewhat like the invisible collar, where most of the pressure is placed on the neck and can be used to hold the opponent down, and I do know the fundamental ideas behind BJJ.

Dude I was just asking a question, there is no need to be an asshole about it, I am an avid grappler and just wanted to know if there were any other variations of the high guard. Yes I have looked on youtube.com for high guard but I wanted to create a high guard that was somewhat like the invisible collar, where most of the pressure is placed on the neck and can be used to hold the opponent down, and I do know the fundamental ideas behind BJJ.

Why don't you get to purple/brown/black belt level before you start creating guards OK slugger?

Why don't you get to purple/brown/black belt level before you start creating guards OK slugger?

Because I do not go to a BJJ school, and even if I did, why should that stop me from creating something that helps me out. I'm a black belt in TaeKwonDo and I grapple a lot with people who are skilled at BJJ. There is no reason to get on my case just because I want to know something. You are the type of person who thinks that a belt is what defines your skill level as a martial artist. Guess what, it doesn't, I have grappled for a long time and I know the basics and then some. I'm just trying to make my game better, just because I'm not using a traditional route does it somehow make me less of a martial artist? Look at Eddie Bravo, in the beginning and even now people criticize him despite the fact that he has revolutionized grappling. So either be constructive and helpful so that we can all learn or piss off.

Because I do not go to a BJJ school, and even if I did, why should that stop me from creating something that helps me out. I'm a black belt in TaeKwonDo and I grapple a lot with people who are skilled at BJJ. There is no reason to get on my case just because I want to know something. You are the type of person who thinks that a belt is what defines your skill level as a martial artist. Guess what, it doesn't, I have grappled for a long time and I know the basics and then some. I'm just trying to make my game better, just because I'm not using a traditional route does it somehow make me less of a martial artist? Look at Eddie Bravo, in the beginning and even now people criticize him despite the fact that he has revolutionized grappling. So either be constructive and helpful so that we can all learn or piss off.

Except Eddie was a Machado Black belt, which probably helped.

Except Eddie was a Machado Black belt, which probably helped.

I understand what you mean but it's not like I'm going into this blindly. I do know how to work submissions, improve position, and I know the basics and physics of Jiu Jitsu. Just because you're not a black belt does not mean you can't modify or come up with your own moves.

I understand what you mean but it's not like I'm going into this blindly. I do know how to work submissions, improve position, and I know the basics and physics of Jiu Jitsu. Just because you're not a black belt does not mean you can't modify or come up with your own moves.

It isn't really the point. You obviously do not "know the basics and physics of jiu jitsu". If you did you would have created something similar already as this means your legs are pretty useless in trying to help to keep their posture down. Noone is trying to be mean but be realistic, if anybody here said they were developing their own "system" in TKD and assumed it would work better than the system from the combined hours of the TKD community, would you not advice them to maybe go for something somebody else already tried?

Try instead to learn what others has learnt, then if you find yourself feeling that it is inadequate you can try to improve upon it. It will be a lot easier.

Try instead to learn what others has learnt, then if you find yourself feeling that it is inadequate you can try to improve upon it. It will be a lot easier.

there you go.

/end ridiculous fantasy

It isn't really the point. You obviously do not "know the basics and physics of jiu jitsu". If you did you would have created something similar already as this means your legs are pretty useless in trying to help to keep their posture down. Noone is trying to be mean but be realistic, if anybody here said they were developing their own "system" in TKD and assumed it would work better than the system from the combined hours of the TKD community, would you not advice them to maybe go for something somebody else already tried?

Dude, I just wanted someone to give me a couple of high guard variations that's it. I was looking for some inspiration from moves that other people had already tried to create and build on it and make my own variation. I'm not just making something straight out of my head but I just wanna see some variations from other peoples' styles and systems. Is there anything wrong with that? What you said proves my point. I understand the physics, but I want to build on what someone else has come up with or at least base it on an original.

Just a bit over your head this topic is me thinks. Good luck with your rubber quantum guard.

Dude, I just wanted someone to give me a couple of high guard variations that's it. I was looking for some inspiration from moves that other people had already tried to create and build on it and make my own variation. I'm not just making something straight out of my head but I just wanna see some variations from other peoples' styles and systems. Is there anything wrong with that? What you said proves my point. I understand the physics, but I want to build on what someone else has come up with or at least base it on an original.

It feels more like you are trying to convince yourself that it will work than the rest of us. But good luck with it and if you find something you get results with then PM me, I'll be the first one to be interested.

If you want to create new moves, have at it. They'll either work or they won't.

Back