The Rubber Guard and High Guard have endless possibilites...

i bought eddie's book & ive been playing around with the rubber guard. good stuff

Eddie is a mastermind.
I bought his book and started out immedeatly with the rubber guard and his half guard techniques.
I found out a good choke from the rubber guard ;

When you have your leg behind your opponents neck, bring it pass his head as if going for omoplata then switch back to the rubber guard but this time with your shin bone under your opponents throat, bring your both hands behind his neck and pull his head towards your shin bone while lifting your leg to create more pressure and force to his throat.
One key point though, one of your hands should go from under your own leg to your opponents neck, if you are choking him with your left leg bring your left hand under your leg to your opponents neck.
If someone is interested in this technique I can post some photos to clear things up..

Eddie rules!

Post photos. It sound like a gogoplata but you're pulling them down with a "Muay Thai clinch" (or whatever you call it) instead of grabbing your toes.

Very nice. I agree completely. The rubber guard is amazing.

Rubber guard is so good for no gi. When I do no gi, it's either rubber guard or playing from the top.

Half Boston Crab said:
Rubber guard is so good for no gi. When I do no gi, it's either rubber guard or playing from the top.
Agreed, I find rubber guard much less useful when using a gi, but it still comes into its own occasionally.

How in the hell would somebody use a guard that it's not designed for sweeps also? JJ is about improving your postion! It's about something that it's close to what can happen in the street. OK, maybe you are doing it for fun, but butterfly or X-guard or half guard (not with lockdown, please) are way more fun, than trying to hold a guy and get a lousy sub.
Please guys, go to the gym next time and do an MMA sparring (light) and then come here and post if your marvellous guard worked against a guy who is pounding you. And I'm not talikng about a guy that knows how to GNP!

Rubber guard works well with pendulum and omoplata sweeps.

tudor_bjj said:
How in the hell would somebody use a guard that it's not designed for sweeps also? JJ is about improving your postion! It's about something that it's close to what can happen in the street. OK, maybe you are doing it for fun, but butterfly or X-guard or half guard (not with lockdown, please) are way more fun, than trying to hold a guy and get a lousy sub.
Please guys, go to the gym next time and do an MMA sparring (light) and then come here and post if your marvellous guard worked against a guy who is pounding you. And I'm not talikng about a guy that knows how to GNP!

Use Halfgaurd to win a Nascar race, while we are at stOOpid comparisons.
btw jj actually is about subs and not positioning... that is wrestling.

The Eddie hating is getting a bit old Turder, we all know you dont like his stuff, no need to keep posting.

tudor_bjj said:

I totally understand where you're coming from. But man, you need to chill out just a little bit. People would respect your opinion more if you presented it in a calm, collected manner, instead of just lashing out. You're only going to drive people away.

That is one of my concerns with rubber guard; there aren't many sweeps available. But once I get the triangle locked in, if he's not tapping, I might go for the leg and flower sweep. Doesn't work all the time but it's worth the effort.

A rubber guard, though, places him on the defensive. While it is possible to escape (as are the mount and side mount), it takes away his posture and eliminates his offensive options. I'd consider that a good position for me.

For the record, I have used rubber guard in MMA sparring, and it works great. He has no posture, the overhooked arm can't punch, and all you need to do is grab the wrist of the other punch. Eddie designed all the moves in his book for an MMA environment.

I agree with you that the basics need to be learned. For the average Jiu-Jitsu student, rubber guard should be learned at a later stage. I get excited about learning new things, though, because I progress pretty fast; I'm more into it than the average BJJ student. Training is a 6-day a week thing for me, and MMA is constantly on my mind. I live for learning new moves and getting on the mat to use them in rolling.

Sweeps are definitely important. Sweeps : BJJ :: Throws : Judo.

Look, like I said in my previous posts. I don't think rubber guard or high guard should REPLACE traditional guard techniques. I just think it's another thing to add into your arsenal. Isn't that what Mixed Martial Arts is about?

You seem to be really averse to Eddie's stuff because you're interpreting praise for his material as "Use this instead of what you learn at the gym." Nobody (who I know of) suggested that. We just think if it works, it's worth adding to your repetoire.

Hey, to each his own. But, you don't need to be so hostile about it. I'm glad to listen to your input and opinion without you yelling at me. Were you around here when Captain Heel Hook posted? He knew his stuff, but he always was so controversial, that he didn't help too many people. He just caused a lot of anger, and made it a "which side are you on" kind of thing. I think as long as you're using this forum to gain information, you owe it to others to share what you know. That's what this forum is for.

I guess what I'm saying is, people would appreciate it more if you didn't get so riled up and instead gave us an organized, well-thought counterpoint to the benefits of using rubber guard. That's all.

I'm all for loving Eddie and all but I have found out recently that most of his stuff is old and has been done before. Not taking anything away from Eddie though, I still think he is the man.

By the way Eddie, if you get a chance to answer this, when are you planning to release your next book?

Iceman5592 said:
I totally understand where you're coming from. But man, you need to chill out just a little bit. People would respect your opinion more if you presented it in a calm, collected manner, instead of just lashing out. You're only going to drive people away.

That is one of my concerns with rubber guard; there aren't many sweeps available. But once I get the triangle locked in, if he's not tapping, I might go for the leg and flower sweep. Doesn't work all the time but it's worth the effort.

A rubber guard, though, places him on the defensive. While it is possible to escape (as are the mount and side mount), it takes away his posture and eliminates his offensive options. I'd consider that a good position for me.

For the record, I have used rubber guard in MMA sparring, and it works great. He has no posture, the overhooked arm can't punch, and all you need to do is grab the wrist of the other punch. Eddie designed all the moves in his book for an MMA environment.

I agree with you that the basics need to be learned. For the average Jiu-Jitsu student, rubber guard should be learned at a later stage. I get excited about learning new things, though, because I progress pretty fast; I'm more into it than the average BJJ student. Training is a 6-day a week thing for me, and MMA is constantly on my mind. I live for learning new moves and getting on the mat to use them in rolling.

Sweeps are definitely important. Sweeps : BJJ :: Throws : Judo.

Look, like I said in my previous posts. I don't think rubber guard or high guard should REPLACE traditional guard techniques. I just think it's another thing to add into your arsenal. Isn't that what Mixed Martial Arts is about?

You seem to be really averse to Eddie's stuff because you're interpreting praise for his material as "Use this instead of what you learn at the gym." Nobody (who I know of) suggested that. We just think if it works, it's worth adding to your repetoire.

Hey, to each his own. But, you don't need to be so hostile about it. I'm glad to listen to your input and opinion without you yelling at me. Were you around here when Captain Heel Hook posted? He knew his stuff, but he always was so controversial, that he didn't help too many people. He just caused a lot of anger, and made it a "which side are you on" kind of thing. I think as long as you're using this forum to gain information, you owe it to others to share what you know. That's what this forum is for.

I guess what I'm saying is, people would appreciate it more if you didn't get so riled up and instead gave us an organized, well-thought counterpoint to the benefits of using rubber guard. That's all.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear... *in a whisper voice* Can I yell now? I don't care what Eddie claims! I'm stunned by the people who follow his claims. They think the moves are new, that there is a revolution (!!!), that Eddie has the TM on hg and thus never hearing before about Gordo, that we should train only no gi, that they forget about takedowns and being on a dominant position, that they think in the near future every MMA fighter will use the rubber guard (do you assume that MMA fighters are that stupid as to not give a try to the rubber guard at least in training?) and the hg with the lockdown (!!!), that they never saw Gerald Strebendt using the Bravo's pattented MMA style fighting "big or not that big names" and so on...
Eddie can do and say whatever he likes. He can claim he is the best JJ fighter in the world, he can smoke pot all day long, he can say he is gay, he can never enter a tournament again. I don't care about his opinions or behave. I care about the people that fall in love in JJ and see only this pass, because this guy knew and still knows how to market his shit (big props for him!).

IMP said:
Use Halfgaurd to win a Nascar race, while we are at stOOpid comparisons.
btw jj actually is about subs and not positioning... that is wrestling.
Catch wrestling IS about subs... Improving, obtaining and maintaining a dominant postion is JJ. If it was after you would pull the turtle guard in a confronation just to get a quick kneebar, NASCAR boy!

Dude, you're so busy hating on Bravo that you aren't paying attention to what anybody else is saying. I can't say that I like him on a personal level, actually the opposite after a run-in I had with him at Grappler's Quest last year, but that doesn't affect my ability to learn from the techniques he presents. I admit that I don't like some of the names chosen for the techniques that I have been hearing about, but I don't really care what it's called. I certainly don't feel a need to rant like that, which may border on fighter bashing?

TheHighlander said:
Dude, you're so busy hating on Bravo that you aren't paying attention to what anybody else is saying. I can't say that I like him on a personal level, actually the opposite after a run-in I had with him at Grappler's Quest last year, but that doesn't affect my ability to learn from the techniques he presents. I admit that I don't like some of the names chosen for the techniques that I have been hearing about, but I don't really care what it's called. I certainly don't feel a need to rant like that, which may border on fighter bashing?
I don't think he's hating on Bravo at all, don't call it fighter bashing as it will only lead people to probably get banned especially when it's nowhere close to fighter bashing.

I'd also like to hear Eddie comment on some stretching.

Eddie - are you naturally super flexible? If you work on flexibility, what stretches do you do?

Cynic said:
Eddie is a mastermind.
I bought his book and started out immedeatly with the rubber guard and his half guard techniques.
I found out a good choke from the rubber guard ;

When you have your leg behind your opponents neck, bring it pass his head as if going for omoplata then switch back to the rubber guard but this time with your shin bone under your opponents throat, bring your both hands behind his neck and pull his head towards your shin bone while lifting your leg to create more pressure and force to his throat.
One key point though, one of your hands should go from under your own leg to your opponents neck, if you are choking him with your left leg bring your left hand under your leg to your opponents neck.
If someone is interested in this technique I can post some photos to clear things up..

Eddie rules!

Isn't that a gogoplata? If not, we will call it the Cynic death shin choke :).

I'm interested in Eddies book mainly for the half guard sweeps I here that are good. I am not so interested in the rubber guard as I feel I need to educate myself with basically positions for now. There is no harm in reading a little advanced or differently by any means, just for me, I am a slow learner & would much rather be successful with "the basics" before different guard techniques.

I'm pretty slow on the grappling scene. Why is there some Eddie hate? Is he cocky? A sellout? The names of his techniques offensive?

As for the high guard. I tend to like it if I'm being stacked as I can sweep well from here & get triangles/armbars. However, do you guys not feel your guard is vulnerable to a simple elbows on knees pass from here? Maybe my knees are out too much?

Back