The real reasons DJ gets no respect.

The little guy gets less respect, that's not gonna change.

This doesn't make sense from a logical standpoint. He's pitted against competitors of equal size. If that fans didn't have a perspective comparison to use, they wouldn't actually know the size of the fighters. I'd love to see an experiment with "I hate the lower weight classes" knuckle-dragging. MMA fan presented against a green screen and told they were WW. These dumbasses couldn't tell the fucking difference. Their pre-conceived ideals are limited by their lack of IQ.

In the public perception, most casuals don't know who he is. The main reason he gets no respect is for all of the reasons above. He's a midget of man that lacks an entertaining fighting style, and he has the personality of a wet blanket. If he had just one of these qualities, he would be much more popular. Charisma is also more important than people realize. Weidman, and Lawler would be superstars if they had more personality than "generic white guy". If Lawler played up his Filipino heritage from the start, he would be a god in the Phillipines.

DJ has no real generally recognizable trademark other popular fighters have.

He's billed as the fastest man in the UFC, so that's his trademark.

And Mighty Mouse gets low ratings because his opponents are never built up. Swear to God, I've had to look up 2 or 3 of his #1 contenders online because I couldn't remember who the hell they even were when the fights were announced. Dodson is an exception, so hopefully that fight will get ratings (because I'm very excited for it)

That and a humble black guy throws off the typical UFC fan's stereotype. They want him to start talking trash so they can label him "cocky and arrogant."

So you're essentially arguing that MM is unpopular because fans are racially prejudiced? Lol.

So you're essentially arguing that MM is unpopular because fans are racially prejudiced? Lol.
It is strange how they are pleading for him to do what Jones was criticized for: be fake.

Do you think Horiguchi would be criticized for being humble?

I doubt that could be it, granted he was fighting much bigger guys KID Yamamoto is around the same height and most hardcores have always loved him. Specially during his K1 HEROs days

2006-05-03_Norifumi__27_27Kid_27_27_Yamamoto_vs_Kazuyuki_Miyata__28K-1_-_Hero_27s_5_29_1_medium.gif
brilliant, exactly.

That and a humble black guy throws off the typical UFC fan's stereotype. They want him to start talking trash so they can label him "cocky and arrogant."
Where there's smoke, there is fire.

I'm not sure people dislike DJ cause he's black but I feel you are definitely on to something with regards to the veiled reception of other top black competitors.

He's billed as the fastest man in the UFC, so that's his trademark.

And Mighty Mouse gets low ratings because his opponents are never built up. Swear to God, I've had to look up 2 or 3 of his #1 contenders online because I couldn't remember who the hell they even were when the fights were announced. Dodson is an exception, so hopefully that fight will get ratings (because I'm very excited for it)
honestly tho everyone feels even if he's the fastest- a guy like Dillashaw is almost infinitely more challenging and he's just the first champion above him in weight.

Frankly, he is missing some x factor that every other champions posesses in one way or another.

Last edited:
It is strange how they are pleading for him to do what Jones was criticized for: be fake.

Sure. Like Chael Sonnen. I fail to grasp why you added the blanket accusation of racial prejudice.

It must be tough being a one man wrecking crew of stupid attitudes toward the lower weight classes. I mean this sincerely. But racial prejudice does not seem to be the issue here from my vantage point, and you have not really assembled a cogent argument that it is.

Sure. Like Chael Sonnen. I fail to grasp why you added the blanket accusation of racial prejudice.

It must be tough being a one man wrecking crew of stupid attitudes toward the lower weight classes. I mean this sincerely. But racial prejudice does not seem to be the issue here from my vantage point, and you have not really assembled a cogent argument that it is.
If Horiguchi won the belt, he would be depicted as a modest Japanese fighter who represents the true spirit of martial arts. If Ali won the belt, he would be portrayed as a silent Russian who handles his business in the cage. If a humble black guy wins the belt, then he's boring and needs to start trash talking and acting the fool. Just seems like people are dying to attach that stereotype to DJ.

If Horiguchi won the belt, he would be depicted as a modest Japanese fighter who represents the true spirit of martial arts. If Ali won the belt, he would be portrayed as a silent Russian who handles his business in the cage. If a humble black guy wins the belt, then he's boring and needs to start trash talking and acting the fool. Just seems like people are dying to attach that stereotype to DJ.

If either Ali or Horiguchi won the belt, they would be portrayed by the bulk of UFC fans as nothing in particular, as boring or unrelatable, just like Renan Barao was a division higher.

There's no scenario where the 125 division is doing big business in 2015 with any current fighter as champion. Ian McCall would bring some personality to the table, but flyweight still would be bringing up the rear in fan interest.

People really don't expect every black athlete to act like Dennis Rodman or Mike Tyson. I don't think the root cause of low interest in 125 is because people can't handle the dissonance of a black athlete that behaves with some restraint.

If either Ali or Horiguchi won the belt, they would be portrayed by the bulk of UFC fans as nothing in particular, as boring or unrelatable, just like Renan Barao was a division higher.
Barao didn't sell but he wasn't disrespected - at least not until he lost and then everyone took a dump on him - and no one knew shit about his personality, and still don't.

I hate this style of "stay away and pray" fighting that he seems to do. Even though he finishes guys I just don't get excited.

Yeah he really stayed away and prayed when the KTFOed Benevidez or when he subbed Horiguchi and Carasio. :rolleyes:

Simple. A bunch of MMA fans see him and think they can kick his ass. He also fights in a new shallow/under developed division void of recognizable names or fighters that stand out as especially good.

So he doesn't get respect because he's small?

Groundbreaking

Barao didn't sell but he wasn't disrespected, at least not until he lost and then everyone took a dump on him.

What in particular is the disrespect you are talking about with respect to MM? People's belief that he would lose to the champions in the higher weight classes or an opinion that he isn't the P4P king?

I'm honestly not sure what you mean.

If you mean complaints that he is quiet or not a terribly interesting personality, I'd probably take that over having be appearance equated to Nosferatu.

I don't think it seems that way at all. The majority of the negative comments about MM are that he is too short and too small. I have seen people say he is boring, but I haven't seen any saying he is too boring for a black guy. I understand your theory. Do you have any evidence it is true?

Are you kidding?

Do I really have to ask twice?

Lay out the type of inappropriate disrespect MM has been subjected to that Barao wasn't.

Or is it simply height jokes? Which again are no worse than Nosferatu jokes or Travis Browne little wenis jokes.

I don't buy this "its because he's little" bullshit. Who the fuck doesn't want to see midgets knock each other out?

DJ doesn't get much recognition because he isn't a devastating finisher.

Look at all the other stars:

Jon Jones, finished damn near everyone, crazy spinning elbows.

Jose Aldo crazy flying knees, devastating kicks, finished damn near everyone in WEC etc.

Conor McGregor finishes everyone, crazy spinning back kicks + all the other outside the cage antics.

Rousey finishes everyone in seconds.

Anderson Silva, THE most devastating finisher in the UFC.

Robbie Lawler was just in one of the craziest wars the UFC has seen vs MacDonald and got the KO.

DJ can do everything well but he's not a devastating finisher, that's why he's not as well known.

Last edited:
Do I really have to ask twice?

Lay out the type of inappropriate disrespect MM has been subjected to that Barao wasn't.

Or is it simply height jokes? Which again are no worse than Nosferatu jokes or Travis Browne little wenis jokes.
The difference is that every post about Barao wasn't about his teeth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back