The real reasons DJ gets no respect.

boxing fans like lighter weight classes, not sure why mma fans don't

staples center tonight was off the chain yo

i think it has more to do with allowing yourself to be nicknamed mighty mouse than anything

also that stupid pose he does

and he looks weird, he needs some hair or tattoos somewhere

Maybe Boxing fans have more respect for pure skill than size/power.

He fights at 125 plain and simple. His fighting ability has very little to do with it. Anybody that says Ronda would beat him in a fight is incredibly delusional. I wont go out of my way to make sure I see his fights live, but I wont deny that hes a great fighter

Some other guys also fight at 125, but get a little more respect. Dodson, Benavidez, McCall, Pickett, Lineker (now at 135, of course). When Ray Borg develops his striking, he will be respected just as much, the guy is a future top 5 talent.

Also, JJ fights at 115, yet is a fan favourite.

I truly believe its because he lost to Cruz, and then Cruz got injured. He took the belt and became somewhat of the modern day Cormier, where respect is hard to get after losing to the champ. But yeah, black midgets arent gonna see the light of day.

Not modern day Cormier, but what Cormier is now. No one likes him lol.

Lack of size and fast-twitch muscle. His boring personality doesn't help either.

He's the only champion that has the public perception, based on any subjective metric, that would lose to other champions top to bottom.

Most casuals even have the impression that even RRR would beat him thanks to the aura she's created.

That's a hard sell in an already submainstream sport.

I mean, think about it. I don't think it's (just) about size because Dillashaw is barely bigger but he gets the respect.
He's 5'3 Dillashaw is 5'6. Most people outsize Dillashaw but they respect his tricky movement.

DJ has no real generally recognizable trademark other popular fighters have.

*JJ- intimidating pressure.
RRR- tremendously swift judo and sub-game.
Killashaw- overwhemingly efficient movement and finesse.
Aldo- vicious vicious vicious kicks.
/Conor- he speaks for himself.
RDA- wellrounded cardio pressure.
Lawler- Warrior.
Weidman- beat the ufc goat 2x
Cormier/JBJ- nuff said.
Werdum- baddest man on the planet.. convincingly beat Cain, Fedor, Overeem, Nog, Bigfoot, Browne, Hunt.

They all have something strikes natural fear into others, DJ honestly just doesn't have that. What makes it worse is many of these casuals are atheltic themselves and on average outsizs DJ by a lot. This obviously creates a funny situation where some casual fans feel they could give a championship fighter problems without having any training. Not good.

It's a shame because he really is a fantastic fighter to watch and he puts on a great show for anyone that's paying any attention. He displays so much that we can learn from and apply in our own game.

I feel he's gonna start a string of aesthetically pleasing fights with Dodson, then if he wins there's s.pettis, cejudo, super fights with Dillashaw/Cruz.

I hope even if he doesn't get all the way to a superfight he starts to get some more love for his body of work.

Too bad it's ironically his body that prevents him from geting the respect he honestly deserves.

i laugh hard at the idea joanna has intimidating pressure and rr has grappling but dj has nothing to offer like he isnt twice the fighter either of them are.

It's true.

You can tell me that skill wise he is the best MMArtist that has ever lived to date, but the first thing that pops in my head when I read that is "Yeah....at 125... let's see how he does at 135...oh wait he already dropped down... 145, he'd get killed"

of course the same could be said about 170's fighting 205'ers but the further down you go the worse it gets and the flyweight champion is literally at the bottom.

Wanna know the real reason?

Racism/size-ism.

size-ism, yes

racism, no. That's a weak excuse that people use when people don't like them and they can't figure out why.

If racism was such a big factor in combat sports why is mike tyson the most beloved boxer of all time? Why is Rampage one of MMA's most popular fighters?

For the 2 or 3 black fighters I've heard talk about racism holding them back popularity wise, there's 2 or 3 other black fighters that people fucking LOVE

jones fans tried to say being black held him back (meanwhile he was acting like a total douche and that had nothing to do with it, but also) at around the same time Anderson Silva was one of the most beloved fighters in the sport.

Wanna know the real reason?

Racism/size-ism.

definitely racism; that's why no one likes Anderson Silva. Or Jon Jones, DC ... you need more? And hey, don't get me started on the he-panics - Cain.. no one likes that guy. Bra-silly ens... no one likes any of them - it's all due to racism. You've really enlightens us, I feel so guilty. I'm thinking of altering my swastika tat on my forehead just because of you. Thanks brother for keeping it so real... we all owe you.
I mean, you're just like... I don't know.. you've changed my life with your insight. I'm gonna pm you the rest, it's pretty long.

definitely racism; that's why no one likes Anderson Silva. Or Jon Jones, DC ... you need more? And hey, don't get me started on the he-panics - Cain.. no one likes that guy. Bra-silly ens... no one likes any of them - it's all due to racism. You've really enlightens us, I feel so guilty. I'm thinking of altering my swastika tat on my forehead just because of you. Thanks brother for keeping it so real... we all owe you.
I mean, you're just like... I don't know.. you've changed my life with your insight. I'm gonna pm you the rest, it's pretty long.

It was a joke. Jesus.

When something is ridiculous, assume it's a joke, that's how it works online. Especially on Sherdog.

Last edited:
If Horiguchi won the belt, he would be depicted as a modest Japanese fighter who represents the true spirit of martial arts. If Ali won the belt, he would be portrayed as a silent Russian who handles his business in the cage. If a humble black guy wins the belt, then he's boring and needs to start trash talking and acting the fool. Just seems like people are dying to attach that stereotype to DJ.

I have seen DJ criticized in the media for not being more outspoken. However, for you to assume that people want him to start talking trash and "acting a fool" because he is black is absolutely ridiculous. People want him to start talking to bring more attention to a division that CAN NOT gain more attention on the fights alone. This racial crap is absolutely out of control these days. You can do more interviews, more youtube clips of training, more radio shows to promote your division WITHOUT being expected to play up to a stereotype. And fyi, I cant stand the 125 lb division and there is not a single athlete, white, black, asian, hispanic etc that I tune in to watch. But saying the reason he's unpopular has anything to do with race is really really pathetic race-baiting crap. You should been honestly ashamed.

I just think watching Flyweights is so UN-entertaining

3 inches taller is not "barely bigger", it's A LOT bigger.

Nate Diaz is 6'0" and Luke Rockhold is 6'3". See the difference?

It's not that big of a difference. Nate and Luke are completely different builds. I think MM beats TJ if they fought.

I have seen DJ criticized in the media for not being more outspoken. However, for you to assume that people want him to start talking trash and "acting a fool" because he is black is absolutely ridiculous. People want him to start talking to bring more attention to a division that CAN NOT gain more attention on the fights alone. This racial crap is absolutely out of control these days. You can do more interviews, more youtube clips of training, more radio shows to promote your division WITHOUT being expected to play up to a stereotype. And fyi, I cant stand the 125 lb division and there is not a single athlete, white, black, asian, hispanic etc that I tune in to watch. But saying the reason he's unpopular has anything to do with race is really really pathetic race-baiting crap. You should been honestly ashamed.

i have heard DJ speak and he seems like a smart guy. but you can also tell he is pissed about the fact that people won't watch because he is too small. the guy is very skilled but that's how life is.

whining about it makes it look like those fat girls trying to discredit models.

He's very small, has a boring fighting style and a boring personality.

Pacman and Mayweather gets respect even no matter their size because they achieved tremendous belts. 'Bout time DJ get to that 135 title run. There is nobody in the division now that DJ ran through all.

When fighter's step into the ring, there has to be a reason we're excited.

This guy tends to win by a very technical one sided, usually lengthy, safe all round MMA display. But unlike say GSP, he does little damage and takes little damage.

He knocked that other small guy out recently so if he keeps that up people might start to take interest.

Legs too short, moves funny, has zero swag and does that stupid celebration. The UFC purposely zooms in to make him appear larger in his fights but it doesn't work. Rogan continuously trying to pawn him off as the best makes me dislike him more.

Back