The real reasons DJ gets no respect.

johnmangala

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
He's the only champion that has the public perception, based on any subjective metric, that would lose to other champions top to bottom.

Most casuals even have the impression that even RRR would beat him thanks to the aura she's created.

That's a hard sell in an already submainstream sport.

I mean, think about it. I don't think it's (just) about size because Dillashaw is barely bigger but he gets the respect.
He's 5'3 Dillashaw is 5'6. Most people outsize Dillashaw but they respect his tricky movement.

DJ has no real generally recognizable trademark other popular fighters have.

*JJ- intimidating pressure.
RRR- tremendously swift judo and sub-game.
Killashaw- overwhemingly efficient movement and finesse.
Aldo- vicious vicious vicious kicks.
/Conor- he speaks for himself.
RDA- wellrounded cardio pressure.
Lawler- Warrior.
Weidman- beat the ufc goat 2x
Cormier/JBJ- nuff said.
Werdum- baddest man on the planet.. convincingly beat Cain, Fedor, Overeem, Nog, Bigfoot, Browne, Hunt.

They all have something strikes natural fear into others, DJ honestly just doesn't have that. What makes it worse is many of these casuals are atheltic themselves and on average outsizs DJ by a lot. This obviously creates a funny situation where some casual fans feel they could give a championship fighter problems without having any training. Not good.

It's a shame because he really is a fantastic fighter to watch and he puts on a great show for anyone that's paying any attention. He displays so much that we can learn from and apply in our own game.

I feel he's gonna start a string of aesthetically pleasing fights with Dodson, then if he wins there's s.pettis, cejudo, super fights with Dillashaw/Cruz.

I hope even if he doesn't get all the way to a superfight he starts to get some more love for his body of work.

Too bad it's ironically his body that prevents him from geting the respect he honestly deserves.

Last edited:
Rage, rage against the dying of the height.

The little guy gets less respect, that's not gonna change.

Wanna know the real reason?

5'3
"Too bad it's ironically his body that prevents him from getting the respect that he honestly deserves".

I've edited in it as reasons now : p

Last edited:
I hate this style of "stay away and pray" fighting that he seems to do. Even though he finishes guys I just don't get excited.

He's tiny and has one of the corniest celebrations I've ever seen

* not many men women or children will respect a 5 foot tall man.
Petite feet , feminine step. He sounds like a lady when he walks into the room.

Last edited:
I mean, think about it. I don't think it's about size because Dillashaw is barely bigger but he gets the respect.
He's 5'3 Dillashaw is 5'6.

3 inches taller is not "barely bigger", it's A LOT bigger.

Nate Diaz is 6'0" and Luke Rockhold is 6'3". See the difference?

He fights at 125 plain and simple. His fighting ability has very little to do with it. Anybody that says Ronda would beat him in a fight is incredibly delusional. I wont go out of my way to make sure I see his fights live, but I wont deny that hes a great fighter

Jedrzejczyk vs Johnson 2016

#TheEndisNow

Jesus, the guy is just so stale he makes Weidman look like the life of the party. The most interesting thing about him is that there is nothing interesting about him.

It's because he beat a fan favorite in Ian McCall via controversial decision and then beat JoeB who was destined to rule the division with an iron fist. People decided then and there that he screwed up the plan and wasn't what they wanted so they came up with this personality bs to perpetuate the hate - because they could no longer hate on him for not finishing. Now compare that to Joanna who burst onto the scene by beating a boring and hated champion in Esparza and you'll see why first impressions make all the difference.

He adopts the nickname of a child. Worst marketing move EVER.

3 inches taller is not "barely bigger", it's A LOT bigger.

Nate Diaz is 6'0" and Luke Rockhold is 6'3". See the difference?
True he is bigger I'm not saying DJ isn't small and he doesn't get respect because of it. I have said clearly in my opinion he doesn't get respect because of his body- his small stature.

What I am saying is even if he were 5ft flat and had hands and movement like Dillashaw people or something unique that would still give him more respect because those style looks very threatening and tricky to fight regardless of size. It's a spectacle to watch regardless.

Even tho DJ has great timing and fluidity there just isn't a spectacle feel to his fights. This combined with his small size, lack of charisma, and not any notable rivalry simply makes him a hard sell to a non hardcore MMA fan.

Last edited:
It's because he beat a fan favorite in Ian McCall via controversial decision and then beat JoeB who was destined to rule the division with an iron fist. People decided then and there that he screwed up the plan and wasn't what they wanted so they came up with this personality bs to perpetuate the hate - because they could no longer hate on him for not finishing. Now compare that to Joanna who burst onto the scene by beating a boring and hated champion in Esparza and you'll see why first impressions make all the difference.
Valid point.

Wanna know the real reason?

5'3

I doubt that could be it, granted he was fighting much bigger guys KID Yamamoto is around the same height and most hardcores have always loved him. Specially during his K1 HEROs days

2006-05-03_Norifumi__27_27Kid_27_27_Yamamoto_vs_Kazuyuki_Miyata__28K-1_-_Hero_27s_5_29_1_medium.gif

Man, woman... smaller man... ANYONE who trains their ass off, gets in that cage and gives it all they've got gets my respect.

Back