The Puppy Post

1g0n69.jpg

Here they are again but with TomTom ( the bulldog)

Poor Tom Tom. Bulldogs are so ulgy. Loveable as hell but still so ugly.

Lol true. It's so hard to be caring with him some times because of how loud his breathing is or how stinky he gets. Can't help but feel bad for him. Poor little hamhock

Lol im so shameless in any opportinity to show off my pup
423622_293756244024841_100001714036568_746117_1104464682_n.jpg

^^^Siberian husky/Tundra wolf when we first got him^^^
He is now a year old and much bigger than a full grown husky, probably the size of a Malamute.
Check out the wolf hybrids thread.

lazye.jpg

Here's a crappy phone pic. I always think it's funny when she sleeps on her back.

12 weeks old. Got to go to vet this week for next series of shots.

Anyone know anything about micro chipping for the dog? I see a wide range of prices, and services offered. My city does free micro shipping event once a year so I wondering if I should just wait.

ok Lets have a guess the weight contest. My Puppy has her 12 week checkup and shots, so lets guess what she will weigh.

Viva, The Basset Hound, puppy, at her 9 week check up weighed in at 14.7lbs

Her next appointment is Thursday the 10th. So lets guess her weight.

Im saying 20.3 lbs.

Shes going to be a large basset from the size of her paw. Won't surprise me if she is betweeen 50-70lbs when shes full grown

22.3 lbs is my guess. they grow so fast at this age.

65391_297584260360576_2043426486_n.jpg

my bulldog at six months (not me pictured)
487382_297583807027288_373669607_n.jpg

again with friends mastiff

Anyone here done obedience training classes? I'm considering doing this, but I know that my dog(Basset Hound) are some of the most difficult to train, and may not be worth it. Right now at 12 weeks old, shes kennel trained, and well on her way to being potty trained.

So far she has got Sit command down, pretty well. I just really want her to have the basics (sit, stay, lay, come) but Bassets have a mind of their own. Hounds are scent driven, and even trained hounds will follow a scent rather then a command. Bassets are extremely smart, and very loving, but don't set out to please like Lab or a Border Collie would.

Really I should ask has anyone here ever done obedience training with a Basset or any other Hound? Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing and use treat and repetitive behavior to train?

Anyone else have new Dogs to post up?

I had a Bassett years ago. My wife took him to obedience classes and it didn't seem to produce any benefit, other than the ridiculously funny pic of him in a graduation cap. For what it's worth, she went with a friend and her dog to one of those Pet Smart type places. It wasn't a professional training facility so that could provide different results. We had some dominance issues with him later, which was self inflicted imo. My wife treated him like a baby and we let him on the furniture so he thought he was the king and it took a bit for him to realize, you may be the prince, but the king rules this mofo. I think you would be fine without the training, just be sure to stay on top of any behavior issues and keep him on a leash for a while if you are outside. As you mentioned, they can have a tendency to follow their nose instead of their ears.

Anyone have Puppy and Dog food they recommend? Mine came with Pedigree from the breeder, but my vet said he doesn't care for it, and says he's seen some puppies get issues from it. He suggested some, including Costco's Kirkland brand, which was a pleasant surprise. I have read some reviews and they rate Costco's dog food 4 out of 5. It's also reasonably priced at $17 for a 20lb bag. Anyone have experience with it?

Some of the Dog food prices were insane. $50 for a 20lb bag of kibble. The pet store in general are crazy. I did find it funny, that 80% of the people in Petsmart, were in the Dog outfit section buying there tiny little purse dogs outfits.

Pedigree is like the McDonald's of dog food.
I use the Kirkland brands and my dog seems to like it. We used Blue Buffalo before and it was a little too rich for her. The price is great. Costco rawhides and dental sticks are a good deal, too.

Anyone here done obedience training classes? I'm considering doing this, but I know that my dog(Basset Hound) are some of the most difficult to train, and may not be worth it. Right now at 12 weeks old, shes kennel trained, and well on her way to being potty trained.

So far she has got Sit command down, pretty well. I just really want her to have the basics (sit, stay, lay, come) but Bassets have a mind of their own. Hounds are scent driven, and even trained hounds will follow a scent rather then a command. Bassets are extremely smart, and very loving, but don't set out to please like Lab or a Border Collie would.

Really I should ask has anyone here ever done obedience training with a Basset or any other Hound? Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing and use treat and repetitive behavior to train?

Anyone else have new Dogs to post up?

We took ours to a Petsmart for training. I won't say it was a complete waste of time, but you can pretty much learn all the intermediate training tips from reading books or going on Youtube. The main advantage a class setting might have is that your dog has to deal with distractions from the other dogs in the class and the trainers give you a structure to work the training around. If you take a class for one dog, you won't need to take it again for the next one you get.

Man I wan to get a dog, I'm in college at the moment so I wouldn't be able to look after it properly but when I get a chance I am so getting a puppy.

I'm kinda worried about training the pup when I get it tho, I've never had a dog before.

I had a Bassett years ago. My wife took him to obedience classes and it didn't seem to produce any benefit, other than the ridiculously funny pic of him in a graduation cap. For what it's worth, she went with a friend and her dog to one of those Pet Smart type places. It wasn't a professional training facility so that could provide different results. We had some dominance issues with him later, which was self inflicted imo. My wife treated him like a baby and we let him on the furniture so he thought he was the king and it took a bit for him to realize, you may be the prince, but the king rules this mofo. I think you would be fine without the training, just be sure to stay on top of any behavior issues and keep him on a leash for a while if you are outside. As you mentioned, they can have a tendency to follow their nose instead of their ears.

Yeah I'm leaning against formal training. I had a Basset when I was a kid so I kinda know what to expect. I'm actually really surprised how easily she took to crate training. Once big thing I've been reading about Basset training is that, while they are one of the most un-trainable dogs, they are also one of the smartest. While they are very loving and great pets, they are also great manipulators and can even act spiteful. Going good so far though.

Cool dog. I can't wait till mines baby teeth start falling out, cause they are sharp. Shes keeps attacking shoes. Not sure how to correct that, since shes so little. You Can tel her teeth are killing her. She'll sit in my lap and have gently massage her mount and I let her gentle bite me. Needs to stop soon.

For the weight contest whoever gets the closest, will win 3 bottle of my new Companies sauce line, Voodoo Sauce. Next page is where I will post everyone's number. Just from looking at her giant feet I'm saying she will be 24.7 LBS on Thursday.

Last edited:
Ok here is the guess the Baby Basset Hounds weight contest.

At her 9 week vet visit she weighed 14.7 LBS, We free feed, so she has been a eating machine

this is where i will copy and paste other peoples guesses. The winner will be shipped 3 bottles of my company, Voodoo Foods LLC. They will get a bottle of original Voodoo Sauce, spicy Headhunter BBQ sauce, and Pineapple-Honey Witch Doctor BBQ Sauce. Good luck.
=================================================================

Sverre = 24.7 LBS
Naked Duck = 22.3LBS
BRF = 21.3LBS
Ninjajuice = 25Lbs

Last edited:
Put me down for 21.3 lbs.

Back