The Puppy Post

Looks soft.

Need to toughen that wimp up.

Anyone have Puppy and Dog food they recommend? Mine came with Pedigree from the breeder, but my vet said he doesn't care for it, and says he's seen some puppies get issues from it. He suggested some, including Costco's Kirkland brand, which was a pleasant surprise. I have read some reviews and they rate Costco's dog food 4 out of 5. It's also reasonably priced at $17 for a 20lb bag. Anyone have experience with it?

Some of the Dog food prices were insane. $50 for a 20lb bag of kibble. The pet store in general are crazy. I did find it funny, that 80% of the people in Petsmart, were in the Dog outfit section buying there tiny little purse dogs outfits.

I hate seeing dogs all dressed up. I work at Petsmart for a few yrs. Science Diet get alot of love but overprices as hell. Petsmart brand is pretty good. All natural meat and no by protuct.l Look at the ingredints on the bag of dog food and it should meat or Rice first. Meat is better, rice is alot of fat filler. most will have both but you want the one with the meat list as the first ingredint. the list ingredints in order of what it has the most to least of on the bag. So if it say chicken,rice,wheat,suger. It is mostly meat. If its says wheat,rice, chicken, then its mostlu filler and not alot of protien. So i will grab the ones with meat listed as the first ingredient.

I hate seeing dogs all dressed up. I work at Petsmart for a few yrs. Science Diet get alot of love but overprices as hell. Petsmart brand is pretty good. All natural meat and no by protuct.l Look at the ingredints on the bag of dog food and it should meat or Rice first. Meat is better, rice is alot of fat filler. most will have both but you want the one with the meat list as the first ingredint. the list ingredints in order of what it has the most to least of on the bag. So if it say chicken,rice,wheat,suger. It is mostly meat. If its says wheat,rice, chicken, then its mostlu filler and not alot of protien. So i will grab the ones with meat listed as the first ingredient.
Fuck all that noise. I give my dog a raw diet(meat and veggies only). I use to feed my dog kibble and when I did it was Natural Balance. To each his own

Anyone have Puppy and Dog food they recommend? Mine came with Pedigree from the breeder, but my vet said he doesn't care for it, and says he's seen some puppies get issues from it. He suggested some, including Costco's Kirkland brand, which was a pleasant surprise. I have read some reviews and they rate Costco's dog food 4 out of 5. It's also reasonably priced at $17 for a 20lb bag. Anyone have experience with it?

Some of the Dog food prices were insane. $50 for a 20lb bag of kibble. The pet store in general are crazy. I did find it funny, that 80% of the people in Petsmart, were in the Dog outfit section buying there tiny little purse dogs outfits.
If you want a couple of suggestions for homemade food, PM me. It's all my dog eats and she's about as awesome as a thing can be.

Fuck all that noise. I give my dog a raw diet(meat and veggies only). I use to feed my dog kibble and when I did it was Natural Balance. To each his own

Raw meat. Has your dog ever got worms? I know people that make homemade food out of chuck steaks but i think the cook the meat first. I am not sure though.

There is a lot of good info on dog food on the internet. Most of the supermarket brands are shit, and the good stuff is very expensive. If you go to a local feed store, you can typically find good dog food brands that are much less expensive. I feed my dog "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul", which sounds ghey, but its very good quality food at a reasonable price.

Stay away from Iams.

+1 on adopting. I adopted a dog this summer, and she is the best dog ever. No one showed interest in adopting her, so she stayed with a foster family for the first 8 months of her life. As a result, I ended up with a very well behaved puppy that was very well socialized, already completely housebroken, great on a leash, and gets along with dogs and cats. She is very smart, picks up commands almost immediately, and I can let her out in my unfenced yard and she won

No not at all. I feed my akita blue ridge beef which comes in tubes that are ground meat. It contains organ, bones, cartilage that's all ground up. Add long as you don't feed them rotten meat they can eat just about any raw meat
Raw meat. Has your dog ever got worms? I know people that make homemade food out of chuck steaks but i think the cook the meat first. I am not sure though.

Feed my dog Merricks brand dry dog food. It's non grain.

Before that he got a rash and started biting his paws non stop to where he had scabs over them. Vet said it was probably because of his diet, was feeding him Pedigree at the time yuck, vet recommended dogfoodadvisor.com to see some reviews.

Feed my dog Merricks brand dry dog food. It's non grain.

Before that he got a rash and started biting his paws non stop to where he had scabs over them. Vet said it was probably because of his diet, was feeding him Pedigree at the time yuck, vet recommended dogfoodadvisor.com to see some reviews.

That's actually the site I read reviews on, before buying the Costco brand. 4 out of 5 stars, for a very reasonable price.

Anyone here done obedience training classes? I'm considering doing this, but I know that my dog(Basset Hound) are some of the most difficult to train, and may not be worth it. Right now at 12 weeks old, shes kennel trained, and well on her way to being potty trained.

So far she has got Sit command down, pretty well. I just really want her to have the basics (sit, stay, lay, come) but Bassets have a mind of their own. Hounds are scent driven, and even trained hounds will follow a scent rather then a command. Bassets are extremely smart, and very loving, but don't set out to please like Lab or a Border Collie would.

Really I should ask has anyone here ever done obedience training with a Basset or any other Hound? Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing and use treat and repetitive behavior to train?

Anyone else have new Dogs to post up?

Puppies: one of the few things in the world that can turn a grown man into a 5 year old girl in the blink of an eye.

As for training, my grandparents bred and showed Saint Bernards, as well as showing other breeds. Any breed can be trained with the right technique. If you can find a training class in your town that is reputable (not petsmarts "classes") then even a strong willed basset should be able to be trained. My parents dog has basset in him, and it took my mom a couple days to do some basic training with him. Then again, she also showed dogs for 10 years so she had a bit of a leg up.

Good luck with her, your new puppy is adorable.

Well here is a pic of my old basset when he was a puppy.

13045_177563242609_517122609_357358.jpg

13045_177561627609_517122609_357358.jpg

Ah so many memories, had a basset growing up. Can remember the long trips to the breeders after getting the call the litter was born after being on the waiting list for what seemed forever. There wasn't even any discussion as to his name "flash", in honor of the "dukes of hazard". Lived a rather long 14 years, a tad unusual for them. So much personalty in them. I have a Dane now.

28mnrt2.jpg

Here are my pups. White chow is 3 years and the yellow lab just turned 1

^^^^the Chow is so cute.

Also, i am still waiting for my adoption dog. I got approved and meet with the match maker, who has picked a dog for out house, one that is good with small kids and other dogs. So now i am just waiting for them to bring her down. She is in CO and needs a ride to Alb, i have offer to go up and get her but they said they would rather bring here. Don't know why.

0911101302a.jpg

I got a boxer. I cant seem to keep her off the damn computer tho.:wink:

This is my schnauzer Chester when he was a pup. He is 2 now.

schnauzer.jpg

Back