The Puppy Post

She's a beagle-border collie mix and the owner of my heart. Your puppy picks are awesome. Good luck with the adoption!

Thanks. I am just waiting for the rescure people to come by for a home visit. they are dragging their feet right now cause of thr holidays i guess. I looking at 2-3 that are up for adpotion but the one i really want is a 5yr old female that looks so sweet. I have already meet her. Last step is just the people have to come and make sure the home is safe for the dog.

I beagle & a collie.Wow.A Super Hyper Dog is what i picture.

Thanks. I am just waiting for the rescure people to come by for a home visit. they are dragging their feet right now cause of thr holidays i guess. I looking at 2-3 that are up for adpotion but the one i really want is a 5yr old female that looks so sweet. I have already meet her. Last step is just the people have to come and make sure the home is safe for the dog.

She is very chilled out. I've owned a couple of labs and her temperament is similar. Her one failing is that she's got the beagle thing where she'll eat anything.

We took our 10-month old mutt to get her pictures with Santa last weekend.

DS70453.jpg

DS70460.jpg

DS70465.jpg

I cant afford a puppy right now but if i could i'd def get a st bernard.

Saint-Bernard+puppy.jpg

Good luck with the adoption. When researching dog rescues, I was quite surprised by some of the insane requirements, and fee's they charge. I understand they want to get qualified pet owners, but some are insane. No kids, no other dogs, no cats, full fenced in yard, monthly checks, Ect... plus like $500-$1500 adoption fee's. There are a lot of great organizations out there, but some are just nuts. Hopefully the process goes smoothly for you.

After not owning a Basset for over a decade, I'm really glad to have another. They just have so much character.

Anyone else have experience kennel training? I've read up on it, and was a little hesitant about trying it. I've been having really good success with it so far though. I'm really knocking on wood, because it's just gone way too smoothly. She goes straight into her kennel when I say "go to your house!" and has benn sleeping there alone all night. Even during they day, she will grab a toy and play in her kennel.

Now I just need to parlay that success into potty training. She's getting it for pooping, but she'll just randomly pee still. Oh well only a week in.

Her stats at her vet today were

9 1/2 weeks old
14.9 lbs
everything seems normal

Vet did say determined by the size of her paw, that she will be a pretty big Basset. Guessing 50-60lbs, That's pretty big for a dog, who's kegs will only be 6" long. I also learned at the vet, that Bassets have the most dense and some of the largest bone in the dog family. He said the bulldozer of the dog world.

We crate trained our dog. It works really well, and we trained her to "go to your room". She was 95% trained after a week of it. The rest is just keeping an eye on her while she's out of the crate. If you can catch her in the act, you can stop her mid pee and take her outside to complete. Eventually, you can leave them outside of the crate during the day. Now, she sits by the door when she wants to go out.

Good luck with the adoption. When researching dog rescues, I was quite surprised by some of the insane requirements, and fee's they charge. I understand they want to get qualified pet owners, but some are insane. No kids, no other dogs, no cats, full fenced in yard, monthly checks, Ect... plus like $500-$1500 adoption fee's. There are a lot of great organizations out there, but some are just nuts. Hopefully the process goes smoothly for you.

After not owning a Basset for over a decade, I'm really glad to have another. They just have so much character.

The people are coming by tomorrow morning for the interview and make sure the home is safe for the dog.This one isn't too bad as some others. The fee is 150$, so not to bad. The contract is alittle strict. Can't chain the dog up, must have fenced yard, must report lost dog within 24hrs and if doesn't work out, the dog has to go back to them. I hope i can get the dog next week.

We crate trained our dog. It works really well, and we trained her to "go to your room". She was 95% trained after a week of it. The rest is just keeping an eye on her while she's out of the crate. If you can catch her in the act, you can stop her mid pee and take her outside to complete. Eventually, you can leave them outside of the crate during the day. Now, she sits by the door when she wants to go out.

Well crate training has gone really well so far. She spends all night there without much whining, stores off her toys in there, and retrieves them when shes playing with them. She even likes to go back and hang out in the kennel, just to chill out.

Potty training is OK after a week. She will only poop outside now, but it's weird she doesn't want you watching her. She will pee when outside, but sh'll still try randomly peeing inside. Need to study up on that.

Here's her new hobby, of laying on her back trying to get a belly rub. She also loves to bite her tail and feet.
eatmyfeet.jpg

Got my pup back in September.
2012-09-11_19.58.50-1%5B1%5D_zps6fd4feb3.jpg

Him at 5 months.
2012-11-16133752.jpg

I am pretty excited, that so far after 5 days of crate training she's really doing well with it. Like all hounds though, obedience training is really tough, but making good progress so far.

It only took my pup a couple weeks to get house trained. Consistency is key with any kind of training.

I'd love to have a dog (grew up with two), but I have a cat and I'm not sure who that would go.

I'd love to have a dog (grew up with two), but I have a cat and I'm not sure who that would go.

I have two cats, and so far so good. If you have older cats and then get a puppy, the transition should be easier.

One of the dogs.....getting ready to whip a tennis ball across the front yard into the woods. This dog will run for hours .....she lives for it

548753_3750868944177_202349258_n.jpg

My puppy loves Icecubes, If she hears me getting some ice , she will sprint right over until I give her one. She then promptly takes them to her kennel, and chows down on ice.

Last edited:
No new pets this year. I have enough pets....2 dogs and 2 cats.

If anyone wants a pet, just remember that it is a lifelong commitment.

My puppy loves Icecube, If she hears me getting some ice , she will sprint right over until I give her one. She then promptly takes them to her kennel, and chows down on ice.

cube.jpg

No new pets this year. I have enough pets....2 dogs and 2 cats.

If anyone wants a pet, just remember that it is a lifelong commitment.

But anyways i was reading an article the other day about how one pet store wasn't selling puppies for Xmas because of this exact reason. People impulse buying dogs as presents and the owner just putting the dog in a shelter after he decides he doesn't want a pet anymore. Dumbass people, the ones who bought the pups as presents i mean.

cube.jpg

But anyways i was reading an article the other day about how one pet store wasn't selling puppies for Xmas because of this exact reason. People impulse buying dogs as presents and the owner just putting the dog in a shelter after he decides he doesn't want a pet anymore. Dumbass people, the ones who bought the pups as presents i mean.

LOL, whoops forgot that "s"

I was honestly planning to start looking for a shelter dog starting in late Jan or Feb, due to large amount of dogs they receive from people dumping there Xmas pet. I used to volunteer at a shelter, and the shear amount of people who wwere giving up on there pets was insane. Some of the drop of excuses were "he likes to bark", "he keeps peeing on my floor", "the vet told me it would cost $115 for all her shots", "my kids wanted a Lassie dog"

I lucked out in getting another basset hound. I was planning on getting either a shelter lab, Newfoundland, and mastiff mixes. My mom bought it a surprise gift outta no where. A family bought her from the breeder for $1200. After a week they can't handle having a 8 month old and a new puppy, they post a ad on craigslist. Mom got it down to $300. Now I have a awesome purebred Basset Hound puppy, although I wasn't prepared, and would have done a a lot more research, I glad I got my new puppy.

Here's a snoozing pic

snoozep.jpg

Back