The Problem With Women's MMA

The talent pool in wmma isn't gonna get any bigger if you don't put women in the spotlight. You need role models.

Girls are gonna watch Valentina (as they watched Ronda before) and go: "That could be me, this is what I wanna do".
tenor-2-gif.726591

Jimmy Smith explains that the big problem with women's MMA is the shallow-talent pool, and how that negatively impacts the development of top-level fighters.

Do you agree?

That's the problem of any promotion, sport or sub-category that hasn't been around long compared to the more established sport or sub-category.

It used to be much worse, when Rhonda was unbeatable, it's better now, and will continue to get better, so long as it is not starved of resources and support.

The cruiserweight division in boxing had that same problem when it was formed. It sucked compared to the LHW and HW divisions, and was considered to be a place where people too fat and lazy to make the cut to LHW, but to weak and small to be actual HW could go. It's much better now.

The talent pool in wmma isn't gonna get any bigger if you don't put women in the spotlight. You need role models.

Girls are gonna watch Valentina (as they watched Ronda before) and go: "That could be me, this is what I wanna do".
Or they could watch the kardashians and say, "I can easily be a gold digger, and no cte".

After 1 more defence for each i want Shevchenko Nunes 3

They've been in the biggest spotlight for close to a decade.
They've had a far larger spotlight, in fact, than mma got in the early days. Plus, wmma has had the relative benefit of being able to piggyback on the success of mma.

Maybe you're just overestimating thw number of young girls who might be drawn in by dreams of being punched in the face.

Jimmy Smith explains that the big problem with women's MMA is the shallow-talent pool, and how that negatively impacts the development of top-level fighters.

Do you agree?

You mean WMMA is in a growing period like the UFC men’s was at first? I had no idea!!

Not really into womens mma, men are better at sports in general for many reasons

The problem with WMMA is the fact that there is no heavyweight division.

It’s 2020... women and men are equal. There should be no such thing as WMMA... they should be fighting the men.

That is the case today, that the talent pool is pretty shallow for WMMA.

But in about 10 years, all these girls who have wrestled, done jiu jitsu, boxed, kick boxed, or who have just done MMA their whole lives are going to be women.

The martial arts community isn't today, like it once was, even 15 years ago, where it was predominantly men and boys learning how to fight.

I'm looking forward to all the cute booties, butts, and cabooses, in addition to the higher level of skill.

Nunes, Zhang, Jedrzejczyk, and Shevchenko are the highest level, and will be on that Mount Rushmore of WMMA.

There's women fighters who will be joining them, all in due time...

Jimmy Smith is cool but he is just stating the obvious.

No depth? No shit. The UFC (the best MMA organization in the world) cant even fill a 145 weight class. In every weight class its the top 3-5..... then crickets.
What makes you think they were ever serious about filling out the 145 class? The division was made purely to make back their investment in Cryborg, and to get her to stop complaining for a while (which it failed on that front).
Each division has decent fighters up to about the top five, but usually after that (and sadly sometimes before as in the case of the Flyweight division as there's not much talent there beyond the Champ) there is a significant drop-off of female fighters who shouldn't really be in MMA let along fighting in the "prestigious" UFC.

It wouldn't matter so much if there were stars to carry these weak division, as has already been said Rousey drew huge numbers & media attention facing very weak opposition, until Holm & Nunes. But no-one else has got anywhere close to that level of interest. Nunes should be a megastar, a lesbian, two-weight champion who is killing all opposition but hasn't really crossed over into the mainstream. Best option is Zhang, an exciting fighter, Asian heritage & has by far the best run of possible contenders of all the female division.

The UFC needs to cherry-pick the best fighters out of Invicta & swap them with promising fighters who are in the UFC but really shouldn't be yet, then use Invicta as a development company where fighters can gain the experience & skills ready for the Octagon rather than throwing them in the UFC before they are ready & making a mockery of the fighter, the division & WMMA in general.

The sad part is that when done well with the top talented fighters WMMA can be genuinely exciting & pull the fans in. Even those who post on here just to dismiss WMMA can't honestly say they weren't looking forward to Nunes vs. Cyborg or that the fight wasn't exciting.
The number of men that have drawn Rousey level numbers can be counted on one hand.
They only made the women's 145 lb weight division to try to get some return on investment in Cyborg and to shut her up about making a division for her.

Now, after Cyborg got KTFO by the women's 135 lb champ and got cut from the org because she still wouldn't shut up, they should really just do away with that division since there's nobody there worth a damn.
Well put.

At the end of the day, the UFC, a business interested in making money, care about female fighter's ability to draw in fans.

There are several female fighters that have very large social media followings, like a couple million. They have fan pages, fan videos, etc. Certainly, comparable to their male counterparts. And female fighters help bring in female fans.

They aren't going anywhere, so why keep complaining about it?

Last edited:
At the end of the day, the UFC, a business interested in making money, care about female fighter's ability to draw in fans.

There are several female fighters that have very large social media followings, like a couple million. They have fan pages, fan videos, etc. Certainly, comparable to their male counterparts. And female fighters help bring in female fans.

They are going anywhere, so why keep complaining about it?

Because whining about women allows them to prove how "alpha" they are.

Do you agree?
its the same problem with mens mma.

thats why there is always the A level athelete debate

Jimmy Smith is a stand & bang moron. Answered?

Do you agree?
No. MMA believes in this martial myth that fighters can lose their way to better career results. Did work in the latest case of Cowboy.<{1-14}>

In other news...water is wet

This guy should not be handling MMA.[/qutoe]
Short answer: They can\t find anyone who can,, and when they do,,, that person is shunted to the nearest gulag.<{1-16}>

Its still relatively new to the UFC its gunna take time for it to mature just like mens did..go back watch the first UFCs..even when they adopted the unified rules its completely different..

You can't deny that argument.

But if you want one, I'd say... star power would make that irrelevant. Rousey drew record numbers against the worst fighters in modern UFC
WMMA makes for a perpetual whipping boy by MMA social media. Like guys sitting in cubicles w labtops are contributing w TALK.<Kpop775>

Jimmy Smith is cool but he is just stating the obvious.
What MMA announcers do bub. After the fact.<{1-1}>

No depth? No shit. The UFC (the best MMA organization in the world) cant even fill a 145 weight class. In every weight class its the top 3-5..... then crickets.
Best @ paying investor dividends. Fixed.<{1-13}>

Theres a few women fighters i'll watch but the talent pool is wafer thin and women just do not have anywhere near the same level of physical attributes that men do when it comes to fighting. All politics etc aside its just objectively inferior MMA. The supposed no1 MMA org is spending like 30 minutes or so of practically every card showcasing fights between fighters that would lose to most of the people in the crowd watching them.
<PlusJuan>Just catching on?

Wrong.

Believe it or not, they actually do really good numbers. Thats why the UFC has them on.
I dont know where these numbers are coming from, but they are real.
The UFC is the ultimate money based decision maker. If they are putting them there, and as a matter of fact in a lot of prestiged positions such as big main cards and even main events, there is a reason for it.

It actually exists. Is called Invicta FC....
<PlusJuan>

I just don't get why people get wound up about Womens MMA. Theres plenty of dog shit Mens MMA too. Pretty much every card has dog shit Mens MMA.
<PlusJuan>

women Soccer is 100000x deeper than MEN MMA and they still suck
Because of the broad difference between men & women physicality, the poor ability w WMMA competitors sticks out compared to men.

Corey Anderson, his camp, & the reigning org. all pronounced him a worthy competitor @ the elite level... flubbed like a piker.<41>Everybody's happy about it.

Last edited:
I think the problem with wmma is the W. Women just aren't very good at physical sports compared to men.

Do you agree?

The lack of ko power is the problem.

It would have been a much quicker discussion if the title was "What's right with WMMA".

Back